Former UConn Basketball Asst. Makes Serious Accusations Regarding Kevin Ollie In NCAA Investigation | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Former UConn Basketball Asst. Makes Serious Accusations Regarding Kevin Ollie In NCAA Investigation

C

Chief00

Some fair points and good analysis. What really hindered KO was a lack of natural political instincts and an organized business like approach to running a major program. His disconnect from many of the players though is the hardest thing for me to understand.
I think at first he was clueless about how bitter Miller was not getting the interim job. The timing of appointing Miller associative head coach after George left was another poor political move by KO. Hobbs who as I recalled got fired late would have been the better choice but the timing was off just a little. So KO was stuck with two guys who should have been in the other’s role.

Ironically, Miller resented KO not JC who picked KO over Miller.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Didn’t Miller put together the coaching plans for the National Championship runs including the last one? I seem to remember interviews where he said they were up all night before each game to formulate those game plans.

I can only speak for when Calhoun was here. Once George arrived and after Tom left and maybe even before that - when it came to a tournament game George ALWAYS did the scouting report. No disrespect to anyone else, but his analytical basketball mind was at a whole other level.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is pretty much my take as well. Very well stated.

He also lost Zach Brown and had horrible luck with injuries.

Reaction Score
I believe it has been established here that at least Calhoun's last contract contained virtually the same language about compliance with rules as Ollie's contract does.

A couple questions that will clarify why I raised the issue.
What was the date Calhoun's last contract was signed?
Were any of Calhoun's violations for which the NCAA imposed penalties committed after the date that contract was signed?
If not, then Ollie's lawyer shouldn't be able to use violations by Calhoun as a defense or mitigating factor for penalties for Ollie.

Reaction Score
Some fair points and good analysis. What really hindered KO was a lack of natural political instincts and an organized business like approach to running a major program. His disconnect from many of the players though is the hardest thing for me to understand.
I think at first he was clueless about how bitter Miller was not getting the interim job. The timing of appointing Miller associative head coach after George left was another poor political move by KO. Hobbs who as I recalled got fired late would have been the better choice but the timing was off just a little. So KO was stuck with two guys who should have been in the other’s role.

Glen Miller was never getting the job, everyone knew that including Glen Miller.

Reaction Score

This whole thing is like a giant soap opera. I will be so happy when it's settled and fades into the past. We have so much to look forward to. Spinning our wheels over this is getting really stale.

C

Chief00

Glen Miller was never getting the job, everyone knew that including Glen Miller.

I agree most thought that. Of course, that begs the question, why? Miller had more coaching experience blah, blah.

Regardless of what Miller thought would happen, I think it’s fair to say there were indications that Miller became resentful, and it surfaced more after KO met with some failure as coach. My sense is then GM thought he might have a more receptive audience. Simply, he thought he could do a better job and then he started undermining KO. I am not excusing KO’s performance or blaming anyone but KO for that. Just that there was some undermining going on. Never a good thing.

Reaction Score

You just made that up and obviously don't know Miller. The scenario is why would someone who became coach turn on those that helped him so much. It maybe the divorce or it maybe the others he hired. But it was bad judgment and unfortunately we are where we are. I believe almost everyone on this board wanted Ollie to be huge success and this result was the last thing fans wanted or expected.

C

Chief00

You just made that up and obviously don't know Miller. The scenario is why would someone who became coach turn on those that helped him so much. It maybe the divorce or it maybe the others he hired. But it was bad judgment and unfortunately we are where we are. I believe almost everyone on this board wanted Ollie to be huge success and this result was the last thing fans wanted or expected.

Just because a guy is from your part of the state geographically - doesn’t mandate that you defend him. As for KO, if you read my many posts - I have been very critical. But, GM introducing heresy to smear a guy in his profession is something you can never put enough lipstick on for me. He is effectively bared from D1 coaching now and this was after no one would hire him anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Were any of Calhoun's violations for which the NCAA imposed penalties committed after the date that contract was signed?
I thought this as well. The answer is no.

Reaction Score
I agree most thought that. Of course, that begs the question, why? Miller had more coaching experience blah, blah.

Regardless of what Miller thought would happen, I think it’s fair to say there were indications that Miller became resentful, and it surfaced more after KO met with some failure as coach. My sense is then GM thought he might have a more receptive audience. Simply, he thought he could do a better job and then he started undermining KO. I am not excusing KO’s performance or blaming anyone but KO for that. Just that there was some undermining going on. Never a good thing.

Chief you've been working on overdrive to keep blaming Miller for Ollie's ineptitude including his famous zone defense. No one was undermining Ollie, he was just the typical paranoid Pollyanna who after winning a title became so arrogant as not to respect the people that helped him along the way.

Miller like Calhoun tried hard to help Ollie, but he was resentful, petty, and insecure, which only intensified after his coaching debacles. Ollie wanted to be seen as his own man and not some lackey, and surrounded himself with people that made him feel secure.

PS: You think Calhoun had no idea that Miller was "cooperating" with the NCAA on behalf of the university? You can be sure that Calhoun is pissed of at Ollie as well. Miller is loyal to Calhoun, always has been and always will be.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I thought this as well. The answer is no.

What about the contract before Calhoun's last one? If that contained similar compliance language, that could still be relied upon by Ollie to throw mud. Otherwise, it raises the really ugly possibility that Ollie will expose violations he personally knows about, from his tenure as an assistant, that are not public knowledge as of yet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There was a reason nobody else was going after Zach Brown.

I distinctly remember you, @Chief00 and myself warning this forum from the beginning Zach was trouble. But everyone else was enamored over his ranking. Remember how sappy they became over his homeless story thinking Zach was Caron 2.0?

Not until he was dismissed from his CT school and we dropped him did some posters agree with us. Still others argued we should not have released him. What can one expect from casual fans.

After his first arrest everyone agreed we dodged a bullet. Everyone except the Johnnies who waited until his second more serious crime before they announced they withdrew the schollie.

CL82

Reaction Score
What about the contract before Calhoun's last one? If that contained similar compliance language, that could still be relied upon by Ollie to throw mud. Otherwise, it raises the really ugly possibility that Ollie will expose violations he personally knows about, from his tenure as an assistant, that are not public knowledge as of yet.
I am absolutely not worried about this in the least.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I am absolutely not worried about this in the least.

I'm not either, but it seems his lawyers have determined that their legal strategy, if they have one, is to raise the possibility that they will dredge up ugly stuff from the Calhoun Era to justify arguing that Ollie is being judged by a different standard. It's just a negotiation tactic in my view, which is fair game.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not either, but it seems his lawyers have determined that their legal strategy, if they have one, is to raise the possibility that they will dredge up ugly stuff from the Calhoun Era to justify arguing that Ollie is being judged by a different standard. It's just a negotiation tactic in my view, which is fair game.
Yep. I think that that bluff has been called.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I believe almost everyone on this board wanted Ollie to be huge success and this result was the last thing fans wanted or expected.
Granting that there are some who would proudly(?), "Oh no, I expected this result," this is a very real sentiment and pretty much true across the spectrum of current posters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom