Former UConn Basketball Asst. Makes Serious Accusations Regarding Kevin Ollie In NCAA Investigation | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Former UConn Basketball Asst. Makes Serious Accusations Regarding Kevin Ollie In NCAA Investigation

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yea UConn fans throwing out unfounded cheating rumors about the man who built this thing is about as strange as it could get. Calhoun deserves better than that. We should just leave that conversation completely alone imo
Before people misconstrue my intent my concern is that people in this forum underestimate the type of damage a disgruntled and disgraced KO can do in a court setting. People are cheering the recent events without considering the potential downside. It doesn’t take rocket science to consider that if an angry GM goes all berserker that an angry KO can do the same.

I’m projecting a hypothetical about the damage this can do. If people believe ‘crippling’ is too strong a word so be it. I’m not trying to be dramatic but I believe that it is in the best interest of the program for people to not only refrain from innuendos about JC but to refrain from continuing to disparage KO. It won’t change events and can only serve to inflame him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Before people misconstrue my intent my concern is that people in this forum underestimate the type of damage a disgruntled and disgraced KO can do in a court setting. People are cheering the recent events without considering the potential downside. It doesn’t take rocket science to consider that if an angry GM goes all berserker that an angry KO can do the same.

I’m projecting a hypothetical about the damage this can do. If people believe ‘crippling’ is too strong a word so be it. I’m not trying to be dramatic but I believe that it is in the best interest of the program for people to not only refrain from innuendos about JC but to refrain from continuing to disparage KO. It won’t change events and can only serve to inflame him.

We've got common ground on this. Things are looking very much up under Hurley. The school and KO need to resolve their issues for the good of both of them. I have no idea why they have not, but Herbst's letter was a shot across the bow to KO's legal team (suggesting they may be seeking too much of that $10M). Litigation is often fueled by emotional, rather than rational, decisions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, I'm doing the opposite. I am urging people like you to stop walking around claiming moral high ground about the Calhoun years because you are leading with a glass jaw. What I heard was second hand from someone in position to know and I'm not passing it on.

That's my point. I just don't think it's wise to beg the question as a few have, because they may not like the answers.
Lol, first point me to where I've "claimed the moral ground about Calhoun." That's different than being critical of you talking shot anonymous vague shots at the guy in a tortured attempt to somehow validate KO's NCAA violations.

I love how you are claiming that you are not going to pass on what you heard second hand, but instead repeatedly reference it without specifics. Sorry buddy, that's not you being noble or protecting Calhoun. That is you smearing the guy in a very insidious and non-accountable way.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wanted to believe we were relatively clean under Calhoun. A friend who knows a lot more than I do disabused me of that notion and put a very big dent in my blissful ignorance, and then I told him to stop.

Be careful what you ask for if you want to hear it. You are likely to learn stuff you don't want to know.

This sounds eerily similar to my experience.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lol, first point me to where I've "claimed the moral ground about Calhoun." That's different than being critical of you talking shot anonymous vague shots at the guy in a tortured attempt to somehow validate KO's NCAA violations.

I love how you are claiming that you are not going to pass on what you heard second hand, but instead repeatedly reference it without specifics. Sorry buddy, that's not you being noble or protecting Calhoun. That is you smearing the guy in a very insidious and non-accountable way.

JMHO.
I'm not trying to validate KO's alleged NCAA violations. You and @HuskyHawk doubted that KO may possess "Miller-level" knowledge that could further damage the program; and HuskyHawk went on to surmise that anything that happened under Calhoun was insignificant as compared with what many other schools were doing at the time.

What I have been trying to convey is that I felt the same way and said the same things, and then I was sorry I did. That's all.

I am very purposely not smearing the guy; I don't think I could have made my affection for him any clearer--repeatedly--over the years. That's why I wanted this line of discussion to end. You can obviously keep it going if you like, but I am done with it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wanted to believe we were relatively clean under Calhoun. A friend who knows a lot more than I do disabused me of that notion and put a very big dent in my blissful ignorance, and then I told him to stop.

Be careful what you ask for if you want to hear it. You are likely to learn stuff you don't want to know.

Very few programs are clean. And the ones that are, are not winning programs. Duke, UNC, UK, KU, MSU, UCONN, etc etc etc are not clean.

If you want to enjoy college athletics, you simply have to accept that as given and move on. The sport is not clean. No use in pretending.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Very few programs are clean. And the ones that are, are not winning programs. Duke, UNC, UK, KU, MSU, UCONN, etc etc etc are not clean.

If you want to enjoy college athletics, you simply have to accept that as given and move on. The sport is not clean. No use in pretending.

Pay the players.

Also - whatever the result of all these allegations and transgressions being brought up against Ollie ... they’re infinitely cheaper than paying Ollie his money. So there’s that incentive for the administration. But if it results in hamstringing your knight in shining armor close to year one, then that just flat out sucks.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Also, we still get to gauge programs on levels of cleanliness. Louisville, for example, is the underside of a urinal drain.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am very purposely not smearing the guy; I don't think I could have made my affection for him any clearer--repeatedly--over the years.
Maybe the best way not to smear him, is not to continue post anonymous accusations that attack his career and his integrity yet are so vague that they cannot be directly addressed?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe the best way not to smear him, is not to continue post anonymous accusations that attack his career and his integrity yet are so vague that they cannot be directly addressed?
How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?

CL82

Reaction Score
How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?
Well at least my "obtusiuosity" doesn't lead me to smear our Hall of Fame coach in an insidious manner.

Seriously I think we're done here. We've both have had our say. I respect you as a poster, but think you are dead wrong in this matter.

Reaction Score
Well at least my "obtusiuosity" doesn't lead me to smear our Hall of Fame coach in an insidious manner.

Seriously I think we're done here. We've both have had our say. I respect you as a poster, but think you are dead wrong in this matter.

This site is loaded with bizarre takes, mostly by a relative handful of posters, and certainly not you. Up until March, many were claiming that KO deserved another year to "turn things around". Even those guys have got to see that the future of the program is much brighter under Hurley's leadership. But I have to say, there is nothing to be gained by smearing KO or JC, so I do see where 8893 is coming from.

Reaction Score
NCAA be like

glen-davis-gif.gif

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Pay the players.

A separate conversation for me, but vis a vis corruption, I don't think that will mitigate it. Might even increase it. The good players will just get even more money to go to the same schools, and it'll be easier to hide.

I mean, say you get 10k per year, but somebody is offering you an extra 100k to go to UK....no brainer.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This site is loaded with bizarre takes, mostly by a relative handful of posters, and certainly not you. Up until March, many were claiming that KO deserved another year to "turn things around". Even those guys have got to see that the future of the program is much brighter under Hurley's leadership. But I have to say, there is nothing to be gained by smearing KO or JC, so I do see where 8893 is coming from.

Many is a strong word. By midseason at the latest, most of the fence sitters had jumped. There was a small cabal of holdouts.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Also, we still get to gauge programs on levels of cleanliness. Louisville, for example, is the underside of a urinal drain.

Cuse is the urinal cake.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Nah. Urinal drains get rinsed with fresh water now and then. It isn't that clean.

Reaction Score
It always amazes me what the Boneyard will choose to clutch its collective pearls over

Reaction Score
It always amazes me what the Boneyard will choose to clutch its collective pearls over

(extreamly Southern Belle voice):

"Jim Calhoun may not have ran the cleanest program?! I...I think I feel faint.."

Reaction Score
We've got common ground on this. Things are looking very much up under Hurley. The school and KO need to resolve their issues for the good of both of them. I have no idea why they have not, but Herbst's letter was a shot across the bow to KO's legal team (suggesting they may be seeking too much of that $10M). Litigation is often fueled by emotional, rather than rational, decisions.
It was no such thing. It was exactly what you would expect her to write. Hell, I could probably have dictated it and it is very likely her lawyers did write it. It lays out the case for his violations, says there was a pattern and says he was specifically going warned about compliance when hired. It also dismissed his “but everybody does it” argument by saying do to circumstances when he was hired this was stressed in a way it wasn’t with any other coach. And it stuck to things we know about. It was a pretty professional job actually.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It was no such thing. It was exactly what you would expect her to write. Hell, I could probably have dictated it and it is very likely her lawyers did write it. It lays out the case for his violations, says there was a pattern and says he was specifically going warned about compliance when hired. It also dismissed his “but everybody does it” argument by saying do to circumstances when he was hired this was stressed in a way it wasn’t with any other coach. And it stuck to things we know about. It was a pretty professional job actually.

I think we agree. And the message that it was intended to send to Ollie was...come to the table or lose. We are not caving in. Ball is in his court as he chooses arbitration or court based on my recollection. Court is going to take a long time and cost him a lot of money in legal fees.

Reaction Score
Court is going to take a long time and cost him a lot of money in legal fees.
Unless UConn meets an unspecified settlement bogey ($), the departed's lawyers shockingly appear to be pushing for more legal fees. Surprised? ;)

Reaction Score
But, but, but I thought they worked at the dealership in the summer and got the employee discount?

Actually, not far off. The Lexus dealership in East Hartford was a "friend of the program" and the basketball players would go to the dealership with the 198o Ford Pinto they showed up to school with. The dealership would then give them an absurd trade in value, close to 99% of whatever luxury car they picked out, and then they would pay the few hundred dollar difference in cash. They felt as long as some money changed hands in gave them a loophole if they were ever questioned by the NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom