Former UConn Basketball Asst. Makes Serious Accusations Regarding Kevin Ollie In NCAA Investigation | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Former UConn Basketball Asst. Makes Serious Accusations Regarding Kevin Ollie In NCAA Investigation

Reaction Score
You and I have been directly responsive to each other a couple of times, and I find this out of character to your steady statement of preference for settlement. Of course, you owe me nothing, but your last sentence undermines the credibility of what you've written elsewhere.
It's simply an acknowledgement that I don't know what I don't know. My position remains the same.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You'd have to first compare his contract language to that of Calhoun's contract. Didn't UConn stress the importance of compliance, etc. in all their newest contracts because of what happened in Calhoun's later years?

I believe it has been established here that at least Calhoun's last contract contained virtually the same language about compliance with rules as Ollie's contract does.

Reaction Score
I believe it has been established here that at least Calhoun's last contract contained virtually the same language about compliance with rules as Ollie's contract does.
Aside from any relevant contractual compliance language for coaches after the NCAA's hoops grade issue, recent media articles reported Susie and AD DB independently emphasized the importance of NCAA and related compliance in meetings with Ollie. In addition to supporting quotes in some media reporting, other reports referenced related "misrepresentation of facts" on at least 3 occasions.

To date, I don't recall reading any media report specifying details on the "misrepresentation of facts". Regardless of individuals' views on the reasons for the departed's firing, such details if unveiled could potentially be less than helpful in pushing for a bigger settlement, arbitration, actual court proceedings, etc.

Reaction Score
Say that ain't so....

Reaction Score
Say that ain't so....
And he also had won three national championships and had coached the team for nearly 30 years. He had built up some good will. A TON, actually! Ollie built up some but how much depends on how much of that championship you attribute to him. And then he spent that good will like a drunken sailor by coaching REALLY POORLY and having kids abandon the program like it was the damn Titanic.

Reaction Score
This is a curious stance for this forum.
I don’t have an issue admitting that and don’t have an issue acknowledging if I’m wrong or puruaded to a different view point. We only know what people want us to know.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don’t have an issue admitting that and don’t have an issue acknowledging if I’m wrong or puruaded to a different view point. We only know what people want us to know.

I think you missed the joke.

C

Chief00

No

Not really and completely disagree. GM undermined Ollie out of spit and having feelings about Ollie getting the Head coaching job. I’m sure he continued undermining K.O. While also running back to JC to report. It also would surprise me if he were doing something similar reporting to the AD. That is why we got rid of GM among other things. Like on any team you can’t have an assistant coach undermining what you are trying to do whether you agree or not. If you disagree that much then GM should have resigned or kept his mouth shut. This is the crap not getting talked about. This is the kind of stuff that also impacts team chemistry and contributes to disfunction.

Fair point. I tried to warn people about GM.

Reaction Score
No

Not really and completely disagree. GM undermined Ollie out of spit and having feelings about Ollie getting the Head coaching job. I’m sure he continued undermining K.O. While also running back to JC to report. It also would surprise me if he were doing something similar reporting to the AD. That is why we got rid of GM among other things. Like on any team you can’t have an assistant coach undermining what you are trying to do whether you agree or not. If you disagree that much then GM should have resigned or kept his mouth shut. This is the crap not getting talked about. This is the kind of stuff that also impacts team chemistry and contributes to disfunction.

The team was bad in Miller's final season, but even worse after he left. The coaching staff was just plain awful from top to bottom last season, not one guy who will really be missed. Miller saw how dysfunctional things were and made it known. KO was going to sink the ship, regardless of any of Miller's actions. You can make Miller out to be the scapegoat all you want, but things were not going to turn around under KO.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Miller put together the coaching plans for the National Championship runs including the last one? I seem to remember interviews where he said they were up all night before each game to formulate those game plans.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Miller put together the coaching plans for the National Championship runs including the last one? I seem to remember interviews where he said they were up all night before each game to formulate those game plans.
Shhhh! You are upsetting the narrative.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geesh Chief, did Miller get the last bacon and jalapeno mac and cheese one night when you wanted one? Why such a woody for the guy?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Shhhh! You are upsetting the narrative.

Ollie won that championship, you triggered snowflake. He’s a far better father than you are too!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The team was bad in Miller's final season, but even worse after he left. The coaching staff was just plain awful from top to bottom last season, not one guy who will really be missed. Miller saw how dysfunctional things were and made it known. KO was going to sink the ship, regardless of any of Miller's actions. You can make Miller out to be the scapegoat all you want, but things were not going to turn around under KO.
Who is making Miller out to be the scapegoat. Some of us heard he was a major chemistry problem two seasons ago and contributed partially if not mainly with the loss of players after that season. If true then he bears some responsibility for this past seasons results because the coaches were left scrambling to fill those holes. And they filled them with players that were not as good as the ones who bolted.

That doesn’t eliminate the things KO contributed to this past season’s results.

Reaction Score
Who is making Miller out to be the scapegoat. Some of us heard he was a major chemistry problem two seasons ago and contributed partially if not mainly with the loss of players after that season. If true then he bears some responsibility for this past seasons results because the coaches were left scrambling to fill those holes. And they filled them with players that were not as good as the ones who bolted.

Those players saw what a dysfunctional mess everything was especially without Miller around. There was no way they were going to hamper their own development by playing for a completely underwhelming coaching staff.

Reaction Score

Yep, Glen Miller is the main reason all the players transferred out. Lol.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I thought MAL decommitted because Miller got fired? If so, blaming the other defections on Miller seems to be quite a stretch.

It seems to me those players left when they did because they thought they'd get a better chance to showcase their NBA talents (if any) someplace else. The man in charge of the program bears the ultimate responsibility for that.

Reaction Score
And he also had won three national championships and had coached the team for nearly 30 years. He had built up some good will. A TON, actually! Ollie built up some but how much depends on how much of that championship you attribute to him. And then he spent that good will like a drunken sailor by coaching REALLY POORLY and having kids abandon the program like it was the damn Titanic.
We are more in agreement on this point than not.

Reaction Score
When you look back and think about it at the time no one could figure out what was going on with the team, K.O., the staff, K.O's relationship with Calhoun, the defections, silence from the AD among a number of other things. Clearly there was a deficit of trust and K.O. had to bring it in and close up like a recluse. he became robotic at the press conferences, aloof and lost for the right words at times. Internally it was a "Crap" show and that is what translated on the court. That is what we witnessed. There are only a couple of narratives that now make sense and actually fit.

You can now directly look back and tie them going back a number of years. The results were all lagging factors and completely exposed K.O.'s strategic mis-management of the internal politics and related power structure putting him in a more desperate position to hit a home run. UCONN continued to miss on major recruits, then the injuries, then defections (3 year set back). He shakes up the staff in year 5 and 6 but it is really too late at this point. The last gasp he had to pull a rabbit out of a hat was for a healthy Gilbert and Jalen Adams completely dominating the league taking that next step which did not happen. Too much pressure was put on a young, poorly constructed team lacking any chemistry.

No one could figure out what was really going on behind the scenes. The picture is slowly coming together now. It's a lot deeper and complex than simply "K.O." forgot how to coach and wasn't committed. Certainly J.C. was the glue early on and once that relationship fractured K.O.s fall here at UCONN was foreseeable. It's tough to determine how much of this was paranoia by K.O. feeling undermined by GM and JC or if the fracture was secured when K.O. decided to go a different direction with G.M. A healthy environment with the political support was critically needed for any shot he had at turning things around. Neither was there and everything storm balled painfully. There wasn't enough time; the clock ran out and here we are. The last few years we were all like "What the Hell is going on!".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom