Forever Seats? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Forever Seats?

Reaction Score
Anyone remember when they begged to keep season ticket money during covid instead of just refunding everyone? Yeah I do, I let them keep it to help sustain things.
me too, have also bought bowl tickets several times even though I wasn't attending in order to support the department.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Forever seats are gone, at least for one year.

We have to go through a seat selection process next year, based on priority points (and not donor level). That's huge and somewhat protects long time fans. Not perfect, but better than allocating by donor class

And it's possible the seats we pick next year become forever seats. I'd hate to pick new seats every year

It's still better than $uckin!

PS: No, I'm not happy about it either

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The business of college sports has changed and UConn’s revenue stream is not well-situated to deal with it. Just staying in place will cost millions a year.

It’s not awesome for some people, but fans and students will be footing the bill for it.

This.

Those complaining about "forever seats" can steal them from the lower bowl before they're ripped out. Problem solved, and you're saving demo cost!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If the results of the renovations are a better fan experience, then the athletic department can reasonably assume that the value of the experience is higher and raise prices.
The value of the ticket rises with the performance of the team. The "fan experience" is a minor factor. The renovations haven't happened and ticket sales couldn't be hotter. $103 to sit in the endzone for Maryland-Eastern Shore? Seriously?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you’re a Husky-level donor or even a Director-level donor, Dave Benedict doesn’t care about you. Especially if you came on the last 2-3 years.

If you’ve had your same two cheap seats at Gampel for 25 years, pre first championship, at todays donation level of $100 per, you’ve donated $5000 in 25 years.

A ton of corporate folks came in the last 2 years and donate $5000 monthly. That’s who they care about because they bring the money.

There is no loyalty in this, it’s a business that’s thinking short term. But, spurning loyal customers isn’t ideal when Hurley leaves/retires. That’s when you want your loyal customers support. We’ll see how big of an impact this causes. My guess is not enough to make Dave Benedict lose any sleep.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We’ll see how big of an impact this causes. My guess is not enough to make Dave Benedict lose any sleep.

Thereby making it the correct decision.

Reaction Score
You can’t have been paying attention to what is happening in college sports and then casually dismiss ‘the bottom line.’ The athletic department’s finances are hugely consequential here.

Our fandom has been subsidized forever by the university and the students. Their costs keep going up, our costs will need keep going up in the form of licenses, donations, ticket prices, etc. It’s unavoidable.

Also, the “corporations will take over” gambit has been peddled since the 1990s and it hasn’t happened, so everyone can stop.
Umm, no, I sit in "good seats" 10 years ago I knew everyone that sat around me, knew their kids, went to funerals, now it is a revolving group of casual fans from corporate tickets.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the issue is not the $ required for the AD to stay afloat (and keep the basketball teams elite). The issue is using the guise of "renovations" as a cash grab to solicit donations. The email didn't even mention anything about changes to the upper level of Gampel, implying that it might not even be impacted -- yet, sorry, need your cash screw you for being loyal.

Of course, some seats will be removed due to this, and thus impacting season ticket holders. But why upend everyone rather than the select few that are impacted? They just seem to be doing this all wrong and frankly, even releasing an email in Oct about this without all the info was only done to get more money -- from the people that already give a lot of money.

Raising prices is one thing, but alienating loyal fans -- who stood by you when things were bleak (both during AAC and COVID) is straight up greedy.

At the end of the day, fully support AD David Benedict needing to raise as much $ as possible -- but do it the right way and not at the expense of loyal fans. This is a shortcut and cheap shot.

willie99

Reaction Score
We've made friends with those around us as well

I just hope we don't go back to picking new seats every year and wondering where we're going to land

Reaction Score
From the ghost of former Hartford resident Mark Twain:

Death, taxes, UConn screwing season ticket holders, and statistics.

Reaction Score
When were seats promoted by UConn as "forever seats"? I have been a season ticket holder for 20 years and have never seen anything suggesting that you get to keep your seats forever. It's always been points (money) based, as far as I can recall.

Once you got a seat it was promoted as yours forever as long as you renewed. It was UConn who said that. I guess forever isn't such a long time after all.

willie99

Reaction Score
It was clearly and absolutely sold as forever seats, that's simply not debatable.

Now I expected them to increase donations per seat, and that was going to drive some people away and that would create turnover.

However, I never expected to go through an entire seat allocation process again. That is unjustifiable. A tweak here or there I get. I believe they're remodeling just so they can do this.

Many people have the seats that they have because they stayed with the program through the AAC and Ollie years. Now people who left get to jump back in and move ahead of others.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it

Reaction Score
Fact is, professionalizing college ball means moving to an NBA model, with many rows of corporate 'premier seating' in front of the sideline seating (at $500-$1,000) for merely wealthy mortals--the Warriors' arena, for one, even sticks a lounge behind the seven Courtside rows,
before you even start the 'sideline' seats. It'll be interesting how many 'premier' rows UConn indulges in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom