Fagnano it is | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
Offense play calling was one sided again. No downfield threat. The “creative calls” resulted in two near turnovers.

Zero ability to run any RPO/play action. It’s just not a good OC/QB combo. They’re not fit for this level and that’s ok to accept that.
The backfield collision play was embarrassing. If that ball was somehow picked and taken back for a pick six, that would've rivaled the Jets and Mark Sanchez butt fumble play.

Reaction Score
the overthrows were so frustrating, we had multiple chances for big time opportunity plays, and he just threw the ball over sometimes wide open receivers heads, between that the horrible reffing, and not getting our tight ends involved almost at all, that was incredibly frustrating
One throw to a TE? And he was on the ground and covered. My optimism is waning.

Reaction Score
The backfield collision play was embarrassing. If that ball was somehow picked and taken back for a pick six, that would've rivaled the Jets and Mark Sanchez butt fumble play.
it was something you see by bad high school football teams. shouldn't happen at the college level, especially not in the first game when you had all summer to practice it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
it was something you see by bad high school football teams. shouldn't happen at the college level, especially not in the first game when you had all summer to practice it.

Edwards blew that play up. Why run that with your fourth string RB in the game?

Reaction Score
Yeah, it didn't seem like they practiced it. You don't pull that rabbit out of a hat like that in game #1. I don't recall ever seeing a play like that before.

Reaction Score
There was zero difference in what we saw with Zion last year and Zion got us to 6 wins. Charlton wanted his boy and its going to torpedo the season. I’d rather have Zion than JF cuz at least we know our floor with him.

JF numbers at Maine were mediocre. If they were mediocre at the non-FCS level I can convince myself. But unless you’re crushing it at the FCS level what makes you think you can play at the level we want to aspire to and thus play at?

Legit nepotism with Charlton. NC State had the same situation but with a P5 caliber QB not a scrub from Maine. Maine!

Reaction Score
There was zero difference in what we saw with Zion last year and Zion got us to 6 wins. Charlton wanted his boy and its going to torpedo the season. I’d rather have Zion than JF cuz at least we know our floor with him.

JF numbers at Maine were mediocre. If they were mediocre at the non-FCS level I can convince myself. But unless you’re crushing it at the FCS level what makes you think you can play at the level we want to aspire to and thus play at?

Legit nepotism with Charlton. NC State had the same situation but with a P5 caliber QB not a scrub from Maine. Maine!
Fagnano didn't look any worse than ZT. ZT was awful last year and didn't get better as the year went on.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
it was probably installed with him in mind. you don't run that with guys who haven't practiced it.

Well, crikey. I'd hate to see how bad that play would have looked if they ran with players who hadn't practiced it????

Reaction Score
Well, crikey. I'd hate to see how bad that play would have looked if they ran with players who hadn't practiced it????
i think it was supposed to be a reverse and they mixed up who was getting the ball first.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fagnano didn't look any worse than ZT. ZT was awful last year and didn't get better as the year went on.

ZT was also four months out of HS, not four years out of HS.

And JT was playing with an OC he has known for years.

If you are defending Fagnano based on comparisons to a true frosh a few months out of HS, you are saying UConn is still phukked at QB for this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
i think it was supposed to be a reverse and they mixed up who was getting the ball first.

Almost like you should practice it so everyone knows who gets the ball first.

Reaction Score
I am by no means a football coach but I saw that too. Felt like we played not to lose, rather than playing to win after that first drive.
there are a lot of OC's out there like this at every level. They have great football minds, are great at X's and O's, can script a first series with the best of them, but when the play clock starts ticking and the script is over, everything goes out the window and they just can't feel the game out.

Reaction Score

Just looking at the box score you can see this is not true in any way. I don't think the QB is the issue, but rather the inability of the OC to call plays live.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
JF numbers at Maine were mediocre.
This is the only thing I’m afraid of.

I’m not nearly as negative on him yet, want to see him play lesser comp and get more of a chance before giving up.

But in 3 seasons as a starter, he was never a star, just average at best. At the FCS level. So I was pretty confident he was coming in to be a conservative backup that knew the offense.

I’ll be more concerned if he doesn’t play well next game. But he deserves another start.

Reaction Score
ZT was also four months out of HS, not four years out of HS.

And JT was playing with an OC he has known for years.

If you are defending Fagnano based on comparisons to a true frosh a few months out of HS, you are saying UConn is still phukked at QB for this season.
I'm not defending him, I'm just saying he didn't play worse than anything we saw out of ZT. If ZT comes in and is the same ZT as last year then it doesn't change the outcome of the game.

We pretty much have to hope that Roberson only didn't win the job because he was banged up. Otherwise we will only win the types of games where we can rush for 300 yards.

Reaction Score
Never underestimate Nick Charlton’s ability to kill a drive with cute play calling.

I don’t really think I have seen enough of Joey Maine yet.
The worst part about the cute play calling is that it never goes right. It's fine to have that stuff in your offense, pretty much everyone does now, but it always goes bad for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom