Fagnano it is | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
If they were playing not to lose, wouldn’t they have tackled better? It was Edsallesque. Really seeing what a loss of LBs looks like. Mitchell can’t be everywhere.
Agreed. That was one of the worst tackling performances I've seen in a long time. If even a handful of the tackles were made, the game result could've been different.

Reaction Score
If they were playing not to lose, wouldn’t they have tackled better? It was Edsallesque. Really seeing what a loss of LBs looks like. Mitchell can’t be everywhere.

I was responding to a post about the offensive play calling, not the defense.

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with the play calling last year was Charlton clearly didn’t trust ZT to throw the ball downfield. It made our offense much easier to defend. To our credit, we still went out and won some games.

I thought this year would be a breakthrough since Charlton had his guy in Fagnano. Unfortunately, Charlton called the game tonight as if he doesn’t trust Fagnano either. Not a good sign.

Reaction Score
I said it in the chat and I'll say it here.

Swap the QB's around and UConn wins by 30. Armstrong was smarter, quicker and more athletic than anyone on UConn's defense.
I'm still trying to figure out how we only lost that game by 10 points. We looked like we were playing in quicksand compared to them outside of Rosa and Mitchell.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
My biggest problem with the play calling last year was Charlton clearly didn’t trust ZT to throw the ball downfield. It made our offense much easier to defend. To our credit, we still went out and won some games.

I thought this year would be a breakthrough since Charlton had his guy in Fagnano. Unfortunately, Charlton called the game tonight as if he doesn’t trust Fagnano either. Not a good sign.
This was my thought exactly. The really telling part? Down 10 with 2 min to go? 3 straight check down passes losing half the time remaining in the game.

Reaction Score
What was the reasoning behind Mora hiring Charlton? Was there some sort of previous connection there?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out how we only lost that game by 10 points. We looked like we were playing in quicksand compared to them outside of Rosa and Mitchell.
The defense was the definition of bend but don’t break.

It really is completely different if they were just decent at tackling. It didn’t even matter if a DL got to the QB because they almost never finished.

The running game was good but I’d like to see how we look like with Roberson at QB. He can’t be any worse than Fagnano throwing the ball while being a threat with his legs.

Reaction Score
The defense was the definition of bend but don’t break.

It really is completely different if they were just decent at tackling. It didn’t even matter if a DL got to the QB because they almost never finished.

The running game was good but I’d like to see how we look like with Roberson at QB. He can’t be any worse than Fagnano throwing the ball while being a threat with his legs.
Roberson must not be fully healthy, has Mora really not said anything about him?

Reaction Score
The way the UConn offense is set up, it looks like a more mobile QB would be more successful. Fagnano and the offense looked good on the first drive when he ran the ball.
in other words our WRs suck and we'd need a running QB to bail us out.
The backfield collision play was embarrassing. If that ball was somehow picked and taken back for a pick six, that would've rivaled the Jets and Mark Sanchez butt fumble play.
that really looked like the running back on that play stepped into it when he shouldn't have. the other players expected what was going on

Reaction Score
My assessment: Same ole story - limited by the fact that we don’t have a guy who can throw further than 6 yards. Obviously an improvement from last year but pretty disappointing effort. Great crowd though.

Reaction Score
I was responding to a post about the offensive play calling, not the defense.
Except for a handful of plays, I thought the offense was Edsallesque too. I really don’t want all those rollouts. And the touch on some passes brought back memories of Zergiotis. I was really expecting better. Need to correct some correctable things for next game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s like pro teams never get a play screwed up from what most here are woofing about. It was one freaking play. One player screwed up.

Given that NC State (actually not too impressive) is supposedly the 2nd best team on the schedule, there isn’t much to take away long term quite yet.

I thought Fagnano was ok, not terrible . One of his overthrows wasn’t. I think it was Houston, who is not a receiver, slowed down and the throw was a yard past him. He was pretty good at times finding secondary targets, Obviously the first drive was the best. I agree that more throws to aTE would have worked.
But I think this game was lost on D, more precisely the inability to bottle up the QB. He sustained several possessions with his feet His throws overall weren’t anything special. It was obvious by the 3rd quarter how often he would keep the ball. We never adjusted. Linebacking was mostly invisible. Overall they were quicker or at least more elusive in key positions.

Our kickoffs need to be much deeper.

Overall there really wasn’t that much truly awful. We were definitely competitive. Let’s see how we do with this game out of the way and against teams we generally match better against.

Traffic getting out. Whoever should be in charge of exit traffic needs to consult with Hollywood Bowl. They have the most efficient, orderly system of alternating lanes. Nobody cutting anyone off. It flows.

Reaction Score
I said it in the chat and I'll say it here.

Swap the QB's around and UConn wins by 30. Armstrong was smarter, quicker and more athletic than anyone on UConn's defense.
Sometimes the most obvious thing is the most rational thing and you don't need to twist your logic into a pretzel trying to find deeper meaning. Switch 2 players and the score flips.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s like pro teams never get a play screwed up from what most here are woofing about. It was one freaking play. One player screwed up.

Given that NC State (actually not too impressive) is supposedly the 2nd best team on the schedule, there isn’t much to take away long term quite yet.

I thought Fagnano was ok, not terrible . One of his overthrows wasn’t. I think it was Houston, who is not a receiver, slowed down and the throw was a yard past him. He was pretty good at times finding secondary targets, Obviously the first drive was the best. I agree that more throws to aTE would have worked.
But I think this game was lost on D, more precisely the inability to bottle up the QB. He sustained several possessions with his feet His throws overall weren’t anything special. It was obvious by the 3rd quarter how often he would keep the ball. We never adjusted. Linebacking was mostly invisible. Overall they were quicker or at least more elusive in key positions.

Our kickoffs need to be much deeper.

Overall there really wasn’t that much truly awful. We were definitely competitive. Let’s see how we do with this game out of the way and against teams we generally match better against.

Traffic getting out. Whoever should be in charge of exit traffic needs to consult with Hollywood Bowl. They have the most efficient, orderly system of alternating lanes. Nobody cutting anyone off. It flows.
Yeah I didn’t think the trick play was that bad either. Things happen. Very next play we had a chance to convert and the wide receiver drops a ball that hits him right in the shoulder. No excuse not to catch that. That was what costed us on that drive more than anything.

Also if there’s no PI on that 4th down that wipes 7 points off the board and we’re down by 3 that last drive instead of 10.

Brilliant coaching job on defense to keep us in that game. Just need better players to make plays.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
Agree...thought we would have thrown to the TE's more.
we definitely should have done that, NC State severely struggled the year prior to stop tight ends, the tight ends would have opened up so much for the passing and run game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom