Fagnano it is | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
I hope that's the reason. I saw that Fagnano got decent protection from our line, and he made very conservative decisions. Sure our WRs weren't always open, but he had opportunities to run and he didn't run. Had he ran, NCST might have to leave more in the box vs. just rushing 3.
State also had some passing problems early but Armstrong's legs got them first downs. Then their WRs where able to get some separation. We played vanilla D. I guess we decided not to adjust at half time.

Reaction Score
I hope that's the reason. I saw that Fagnano got decent protection from our line, and he made very conservative decisions. Sure our WRs weren't always open, but he had opportunities to run and he didn't run. Had he ran, NCST might have to leave more in the box vs. just rushing 3.
He had quick slants open often. He had opportunities for for TE routes (which were never called or used), unless we're calling Joly a TE now. And as bad as the offense played, the defense was worse. The missed tackles cost us this game.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Giving NC ST the short field on not smart penalties/unforced errors deflated the crowd and the team. Need to be more disciplined.

Does Charlton not like his TEs? Why not feed Joly?

Also, we need to stop the gadget plays or at least change when we use them.
The lack of joly until late wasind boggling

Reaction Score
Wheel route wasn't on the QB, Houston just not being a receiver didn't run through the ball and even alligator armed it. That was on the RB.
Houston is a true athlete. Just a lapse in concentration I’d say….give it to him again. And again. And again……

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just because UConn kept the score close to NCS doesn't mean that there is reason to be satisfied.
With the exception of the QB, I didn't see NCS to be a dominant team and felt the UConn gave them way too many opportunities.
The play offensive calling by Charlton was questionable at best and why are we ignoring the tight ends? QB play, for someone who has played as much football as Fagnano has - he was bad - indecisive and ignoring open targets.
Tackling has been an issue since Bobby Red Pants days and it reared its ugly head again yesterday.
I have total faith in HCJM but am puzzled as to why there were very little adjustments made one either side of the ball in the 2nd half.
Hopefully there are lessons to be learned from last night and it won't take 4 or 5 games to correct all of them.
Last night was a winnable game and UConn let the opportunity slip away.

Reaction Score
The D wasn’t great but they weren’t awful either. A competent offense was completely absent. I’m not sure what anybody saw in Fagnano, but we aren’t going to beat good teams throwing for 113 yards unless the defense plays out of its head. I’ve seen him twice now in the spring and last night and he doesn’t look like a. FBS quarterback either time. Good fcs level maybe but over his head against higher competition. I’m also not sold on Charlton but we’ll see how that goes going forward. Last year the excuse was we only had a true frosh qb and our wr corp was injured. Not the case this time out.

This was a tough opponent. We were certainly not out of the game in the 4 th quarter down 10. But when you can’t pass effectively it is really tough to win. I don’t necessarily say we should change qbs but another 14/26/1/113 and there needs to be open competition again.

This was an opponent who was favored. But we need a quarterback to play anywhere near that level.

Reaction Score
Fagnano was a huge improvement over last year and he is actually a much better runner than Turner. Yes there is a lot of room for improvement, but it was game 1 against a team that outclasses us talent wise.

I like our future with Fagnano. Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep improving.

Reaction Score
Fagnano was a huge improvement over last year and he is actually a much better runner than Turner. Yes there is a lot of room for improvement, but it was game 1 against a team that outclasses us talent wise.

I like our future with Fagnano. Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep improving.
Fagano looked really good for a while. That side arm throw was Mahomes esc. NCS has two corners who will be playing in the NFL. But I remember he did take a hard hit on the ncs sideline and seemed gun shy after that. I don’t know but his play definitively dropped off.

Reaction Score
I think you have to have some plays for Zion to run each game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I remember last year's opener and how happy I was that it seemed we learned how to tackle after years of poor fundamentals. I assumed Mora made that a priority in training camp. Maybe he thought he didn't have to emphasize that aspect as thoroughly this year, but I imagine that will be a focus this week.

Reaction Score
State also had some passing problems early but Armstrong's legs got them first downs. Then their WRs where able to get some separation. We played vanilla D. I guess we decided not to adjust at half time.
We played the RE bend don’t break. Everything in front of you. Good pressure from front but the gap between the line and LB’s never changed. Armstrong could have walked for first downs.

Reaction Score

-> "We need to throw the ball better," UConn coach Jim Mora said. "It's hard to throw against the type of defense they were playing when they got the lead. They were rushing three and dropping eight and rolling up on both wideouts. They were making us check it down. That's not easy.

"That last throw by Joe, people will probably ask me what happened, and I don't know yet. I think that somebody broke off a route that they shouldn't have, but I want to confirm that. Otherwise, I think Joe kind of showed us what we like about him which is his composure and his ability to extend a play and make good decisions." <-

Reaction Score
Something is wrong with QB performance. 113 yards and average yards per attempt 4.2 yards. This is not FBS QB stats. Like that Mora doesn't throw players/coaches under the bus publicly (yes I'm referring to you HCRE1.0&2.0) but needs to fix this behind the scenes.
Play calling is brutally bad, pocket presence is poor, no plan to attack tight man to man. Where was TR plays like last year Cale. Last year 1st game passing was 119 yards and average yards per attempt 3.6. Not much of an improvement.

Reaction Score
Something is wrong with QB performance. 113 yards and average yards per attempt 4.2 yards. This is not FBS QB stats. Like that Mora doesn't throw players/coaches under the bus publicly (yes I'm referring to you HCRE1.0&2.0) but needs to fix this behind the scenes.
Play calling is brutally bad, pocket presence is poor, no plan to attack tight man to man. Where was TR plays like last year Cale. Last year 1st game passing was 119 yards and average yards per attempt 3.6. Not much of an improvement.
Terrible play calling. No use of TEs. Trying to take the edge all day against a super fast D. Had the pounded tackle to tackle and mixed in play action we would have been fine. Charlton is no P5 OC.

Reaction Score
Neither ZT or Fagnano are runners, not so sure Fagnano is a thrower either.

Fagnano accomplished more as a runner in the first series of the first game than ZT did all of last year. Fagnano also appears to be very good with the RPO plays.

We need to see Fagnano perform against a G5 team before we decide to move on, tough to judge a QB when there is a talent gap like last night. NC State supposedly has one of the better defenses in the country.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd like to see two more games before writing off Fagnano and/or Charlton.

We might look back a month from now and conclude that NC State has a top top Defense....or we might not - too early to say in my opinion.

Reaction Score
ZT also completed 12-30, or something like that, and had 2 picks. Not throwing the ball away and avoiding fumbles and multiple interceptions has its own value. I don't even count a last-play, desperation pick against Fagnano. I feel encouraged by the relatively mistake-free offense and think they'll come good as they get more practice together and face less stiff opposition.

Reaction Score

I don’t raise this to be argumentative but I thought he has a really bad overall game.

Where was the scrambling for yards last night?
Where were the accurate throws?
Where was the pizzaz?

He reminded me of so many other average Qb’s we’ve had over the years - at least in one game.

I was hoping after several dismal offensive sets maybe Roberson would get a crack.

Aside from first series of plays where he led the team well, thought Fagnano’s play was below average.

We will néed much better from this position to beat a Power Five Team.

Reaction Score
I don’t raise this to be argumentative but I thought he has a really bad overall game.

Where was the scrambling for yards last night?
Where were the accurate throws?
Where was the pizzaz?

He reminded me of so many other average Qb’s we’ve had over the years - at least in one game.

I was hoping after several dismal offensive sets maybe Roberson would get a crack.

Aside from first series of plays where he led the team well, thought Fagnano’s play was below average.

We will néed much better from this position to beat a Power Five Team.

I think you have over blown expectations; we moved the ball and we covered the spread against a team with more talent. Two years ago we couldn't even beat Holy Cross.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom