Fagnano it is | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Put the ball in the hands of playmakers more. I don't think fagnano is one of them.
Watch a replay of the game. Maybe he isn’t Brady or a top shelf college QB, but he was not as inept as people think. He was 14-26 that included 2 drops and that busted play that was ruled an incompletion. One irrelevant INT. NC State has a pretty experienced D and if the announcers knew what they were talking about, maybe we purposely didn’t challenge the corners. Do we want a QB whose main strength is running or a passer who can scramble a bit. Right know i think we need a passer. I can’t conclude off of yesterday that JF is a mistake. We also don’t know if he was picked because Roberson is unavailable
This was a 3 point game going into the 4th quarter against a team that is a bit better than us.

I think we lost that game on D and a couple of penalties that hurt a lot. I wan’t aware of the background of the NC State QB but his running skill apparently was no mystery but you can’t prove it by yesterday.

Next week will be more of a test of whether or not we are separating from lesser competition. Georgia State scored 42 but gave up 35.

Reaction Score
ZT also completed 12-30, or something like that, and had 2 picks. Not throwing the ball away and avoiding fumbles and multiple interceptions has its own value. I don't even count a last-play, desperation pick against Fagnano. I feel encouraged by the relatively mistake-free offense and think they'll come good as they get more practice together and face less stiff opposition.
The comparison can’t be “ well he is better than the #3 guy on our quarterback depth chart”. We need him to be an average D1 quarterback. 200 yards/game passing. I think last year the anverage was 218/game last year. We were 107. If he can’t out perform Zion Turner, he should be out there, honestly. Add some rushing yard though those can be tough to count for the position because the NCAA count sacks as negative rushes. And didn’t we have enough of game manager quarterbacks during the Edsall 2 years? We need a guy who can make plays. Not somebody who throws dumb passes but someone who can make them.

Reaction Score
I think you have over blown expectations; we moved the ball and we covered the spread against a team with more talent. Two years ago we couldn't even beat Holy Cross.
maybe... it is just one game though I haven't totally given up on him, but I was just trying to keep it real cause last night. He really didn't do much after the first TD

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The comparison can’t be “ well he is better than the #3 guy on our quarterback depth chart”. We need him to be an average D1 quarterback. 200 yards/game passing. I think last year the anverage was 218/game last year. We were 107. If he can’t out perform Zion Turner, he should be out there, honestly. Add some rushing yard though those can be tough to count for the position because the NCAA count sacks as negative rushes. And didn’t we have enough of game manager quarterbacks during the Edsall 2 years? We need a guy who can make plays. Not somebody who throws dumb passes but someone who can make them.
The main point is, I don’t see how you can reach any ultimate conclusions off of yesterday. NC State isn’t chopped liver. A QB can’t catch his own throw, make receivers get open. He had a couple of good scrambles, made several good throwing decisions including going to secondary targets. The NC State QB looked more like a runner who can make some throws. His pass into the end zone that resulted in an interference penalty should have been picked. It was a lousy pass.

Reaction Score
The main point is, I don’t see how you can reach any ultimate conclusions off of yesterday. NC State isn’t chopped liver. A QB can’t catch his own throw, make receivers get open. He had a couple of good scrambles, made several good throwing decisions including going to secondary targets. The NC State QB looked more like a runner who can make some throws. His pass into the end zone that resulted in an interference penalty should have been picked. It was a lousy pass.
They weren’t chopped liver but they weren’t the 1986 Chicago Bears either. Every qb has a drop or 2 in a game. He needs to make plays. He was below average doing it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They weren’t chopped liver but they weren’t the 1986 Chicago Bears either. Every qb has a drop or 2 in a game. He needs to make plays. He was below average doing it.
Name them.

Reaction Score
Upon reflection, we would have been better served by a running option QB. That should be Roberson, if healthy. I don‘t what the issue with passing was but I was very disappointed In our execution.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Fagnano accomplished more as a runner in the first series of the first game than ZT did all of last year. Fagnano also appears to be very good with the RPO plays.

We need to see Fagnano perform against a G5 team before we decide to move on, tough to judge a QB when there is a talent gap like last night. NC State supposedly has one of the better defenses in the country.
ZT was a true freshman while Fagnano is a senior. There is a difference in plain experience.

I was not impressed after the first drive for a touchdown. He seemed to be thinking and not doing too much. He needs to just play

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You know it’s bad when people are justifying poor play by comparing it to how our true freshman, backup, that dealt with injuries all over the skill positions, played last season.

Fagnano has none of those excuses. He was brought in and made starter because he’s supposed to be an improvement on what we had last year.

If he’s just Zion Turner, then play Zion Turner, cause at least he has some chemistry with the returning players from his starts last season.

This isn’t me saying bench Fagnano btw, but reading comparisons to Zion is kinda pissing me off. I need y’all to adjust your expectations for Fagnano beyond freshman Zion Turner.

Reaction Score
You know it’s bad when people are justifying poor play by comparing it to how our true freshman, backup, that dealt with injuries all over the skill positions, played last season.

Fagnano has none of those excuses. He was brought in and made starter because he’s supposed to be an improvement on what we had last year.

If he’s just Zion Turner, then play Zion Turner, cause at least he has some chemistry with the returning players from his starts last season.

This isn’t me saying bench Fagnano btw, but reading comparisons to Zion is kinda pissing me off. I need y’all to adjust your expectations for Fagnano beyond freshman Zion Turner.
This ^^.

Reaction Score
Those scrambles were very early on. They gained a few, but no 1st downs IIRC, and each time he went down hard. The rest of the game the NC State D knew he was not a threat to run it for big gains. So they locked down the UConn receivers for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
maybe... it is just one game though I haven't totally given up on him, but I was just trying to keep it real cause last night. He really didn't do much after the first TD
What did you think you were getting? The QB you are dreaming of is not on this roster.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ZT was a true freshman while Fagnano is a senior. There is a difference in plain experience.

I was not impressed after the first drive for a touchdown. He seemed to be thinking and not doing too much. He needs to just play

Fagnano isn't a super athlete. When he tucks, he needs to tuck and go. He ain't juke jiving anyone or out running anyone.

Tuck, run, slide. Make it a 3-4 yard gain and live another play.

Reaction Score
I think we only threw one swing pass, to Houston. It went for ten yards. Throwing more short passes to the flats would have tested there defense horizontally and slowed the pass rush. Don't know why we didn’t.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This ^^.
Thing is, it takes more than a QB to “make plays”. Right in front of me Houston was behind his defender down the sideline and visibly slowed a hair. Ball beyond him by a foot. That was actually a play made by JF. What more was he supposed to do? That could have been a TD. I think it was Geordon (sp?) who dropped a pass between defenders that might have a hair off center. Why should he not be a failure as a playmaker? JF made the play he was supposed to. Other guys are supposed to make plays too His only really bsd read was an incompletion into the endzone when he had someone wide open at about the 5. What was he supposed to do by himself.

I can only imagine the comments if he’d callef his own number and lost yards. It is way too essy to say “he didn’t make plays”. It’s a team game and if you look at a tape of the game, he pretty much showed up and executed the called plays. NC State had something to say about how plays could be made. He could turn out to be a dud, but i don’t see yesterday as conclusive of anything

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Fagnano isn't a super athlete. When he tucks, he needs to tuck and go. He ain't juke jiving anyone or out running anyone.

Tuck, run, slide. Make it a 3-4 yard gain and live another play.
There were few plays that required him to tuck and run. Watch a tape of the game. Seriously, i think there is a lot of nitpicking about his play.

Reaction Score
Fagnano accomplished more as a runner in the first series of the first game than ZT did all of last year. Fagnano also appears to be very good with the RPO plays.

We need to see Fagnano perform against a G5 team before we decide to move on, tough to judge a QB when there is a talent gap like last night. NC State supposedly has one of the better defenses in the country.
Fagnano had 18 yards rushing 2.6 yards per carry. Zion had 20 yards per game rushing 2.9 yards per carry. Neither of them are runners.

Reaction Score
This thread is so full of silly conclusions it isnt funny.

Yup, the idiots are out in force just because we lost a competitive game to NC State. Unreal. This forum (like all of sports talk on TV and radio) is nothing more than a bitch and moan center.

It literally took a national championship for Hurley to win over a decent size portion of the UConn fanbase (for the most part the same people complaining about the NC State game) with their "arrogant and spoiled" T-shirts., they should add the word "unworthy."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Though Joe looked good the first two series running....I think this is how the Qb's competition probably stacks up...
Joe can throw but can't run
Roberson can run but can't throw.
I thought Mora may bring Roberson in a couple series to run RPO.
Joe should of tucked it and ran instead of forcing some of those passes. Our receivers aren't good at getting seperation.
We will be fine.

Reaction Score
Put the ball in the hands of playmakers more. I don't think fagnano is one of them.
I suggested at one point last year that Rosa be the running QB if we couldn't effectively pass. We have enough RB depth to do that but it would be far better if Roberson was our duel threat guy.

Reaction Score

Some of you guys are acting like we played Alabama. The offense was disappointing and the gap in talent was at QB. Could some of it be familiarity, timing etc. Sure but their guy transferred in too. Ours was just not as effective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom