Fagnano it is | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
it’s possible that TR is not 100%

On the replay the television crew mentioned there was no doubt who the winner of the QB competition was even among the players. Everyone was apparently on the same page with the selection, and they mentioned Fagnano did not throw a single INT during camp. I don't think TR is hurt, but I will say I doubt his leg is really 100% and it probably won't be all season. We don't have a Pindell on the sideline, sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the replay the television crew mentioned there was no doubt who the winner of the QB competition was even among the players. Everyone was apparently on the same page with the selection, and they mentioned Fagnano did not throw a single INT during camp. I don't think TR is hurt, but I will say I doubt his leg is really 100% and it probably won't be all season. We don't have a Pindell on the sideline, sorry.
I don’t buy that. I’m sure the players were told to be 100% supportive of each other in the media. I’m also sure that everyone may have felt Fagnano was the choice because they knew Roberson wasn’t an option. It’s possibly just coach speak.

Reaction Score
Fagnano looked fine. Our receivers were abysmal. Some unacceptable drops, and for most of the night no one was open for him to throw to. He's a serviceable QB who did a good job stepping up into the pocket when pressure came. I will say that he needs to take some mustard off some of his passes.
His long ball left something to be desired, but his accuracy, decision making, quick release and willingness to run, imo, bodes well for the offense.

Reaction Score
I have ti see QB against more competition. I was disappointed how undynamic they looked in passing game. It is annoying, UConn can never look good passing the ball. I don’t know why.

1. Fagnano will have a short leash because you can’t corn up from fcs and struggle to be productive. There is a skepticism that a player who is an fcs QB can then move into an fbs job. This is what is driving most people’s quick leash .

2. Roberson, I have no idea if he can play the position or not. Turner? I just didn’t see anything wow his first year.

They just need 150-200 yards a game passing. Is that too much to much to ask?

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are acting like we played Alabama. The offense was disappointing and the gap in talent was at QB. Could some of it be familiarity, timing etc. Sure but their guy transferred in too. Ours was just not as effective.
Here would be my question. If Allen was at UConn and Fagnano was at NC State. Does UConn win that game?

I think so. UConn has to get more production out of qb. You can be patient. Tough first game. Not panicked. But I think the team is good enough that if it gets averaged qb production, it is going to have a good season.

Reaction Score
We have no idea if our best QB is on the field. Better coaches than Jim Mora had the wrong guy starting.
Tbh. This is true. There is no evidence that Roberson is a better than option than Fagnano. None.

As far as Turner, what did we see out of Turner last year that we missed on Thrusday?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Tbh. This is true. There is no evidence that Roberson is a better than option than Fagnano. None.

As far as Turner, what did we see out of Turner last year that we missed on Thrusday?
Don't forget McDonald as an option. If the first three really cant get the job done, it is worth seeing what you have with the freshman. Who cares about his redshirt... especially with Welliver coming in next year.

It would suck to go through yet another year where the offense holds the team back.

DCT

Reaction Score
Didn't seem to me that the tv crew did much homework. I doubt much time spent with players pregame so what they got was party line with works for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rhode Island went up and down the field all game against Georgia St.
500 yards of offense, 400 yards passing and 35 points.

No excuse for Fagnano and UConn to not be able to move the ball at will.

Reaction Score
Rhode Island went up and down the field all game against Georgia St. 500 yards of offense, 400 yards passing and 35 points.

Kasim Hill still chugging along - kid could play just couldn’t stay healthy.

Reaction Score
So I've had a look at four teams with new quarterbacks and how their offenses performed. UConn, NC State, Umass, and Colorado. While no definitive conclusions should be drawn after one game It seems obvious that our production fell significantly below the other three teams.

Again we should wait another week to see how things shake out but it would seem like there's only a few variants that would be in play when assessing or comparing. One would be the quality of the competition. I don't think any of those games involved teams that were far above them including ours. I thought Colorado might lose badly today. Wrooong! Second would be the quality of the offensive line and I will have to say that our QB wasn't exactly running for his life every play at least not the way Casey Cochran had to. Abd his stats were generally pretty decent. Third would be the quality of the wide receivers and not being an expert for me that's pretty hard to judge. Finally coaching preparation and play calling definitely come into play and again not being a coach it's hard to judge. One thing I will say is watching the UMass game if the standard stays the same we'd have a lot of trouble against them. It would be a very close game despite our edge in overall talent So hopefully we're able to iron out whatever inefficiencies we have at QB, or if not we have somebody chomping at the bit who can give us more of an effective dual threat which thise other three guys seem to provide. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kasim Hill still chugging along - kid could play just couldn’t stay healthy.

I couldn't care less about Hill; he's been playing college ball since 2017.

Fagnano has to move the ball all game long.

Reaction Score
Rhode Island went up and down the field all game against Georgia St.
500 yards of offense, 400 yards passing and 35 points.

No excuse for Fagnano and UConn to not be able to move the ball at will.
PS pop

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And weather is looking great for Saturday night in Atlanta.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The thing you fail to understand is that Jim Mora is smarter than you. Our best QB is on the field, support him or get lost. For the love of God we are one game into his UConn career and we played the pre-season 4th ranked team in the ACC, not Holy Cross.

I don't think anyone doesn't support him, but to some he seem to hesitate a little bit after the first quarter. That could be play calling, the quarterback, or a few other things

A fan base can always critique after a loss, part of being a fan base

Reaction Score
The only guy worse than “bench the QB” after week 1, is the guy whose only take is “coach knows best, so shutup.”

You’re adding nothing to the conversation, get lost.

Not even close, the worst takes are the ones saying if we swapped QB's with NC State we would have won. I may be wrong, but I don't think that is an option for us. Saying if we had 21 year old Doug Flutie we would go undefeated is just as relevant.

and BTW your post really added nothing to the conversation.

Reaction Score
The only guy worse than “bench the QB” after week 1, is the guy whose only take is “coach knows best, so shutup.”

You’re adding nothing to the conversation, get lost.
Ok. You have no idea if any of the QBs are Bette than Fagnano.

Issue is, fans don’t like grabbing and FCS QB. If he was good, why is he in the FCS?

That colors the view.

Reaction Score
That colors the view.

Yes!

It's called FCS prejudice. People are seeing what they are predisposed to see. All I'm saying is can we cut this kid some slack? He was a huge improvement over last year and we stayed competitive deep into the 4th quarter against a superior team with the refs fighting against us. Let's see what he does next week before deciding he's not the guy.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Though Joe looked good the first two series running....I think this is how the Qb's competition probably stacks up...
Joe can throw but can't run
Roberson can run but can't throw.
I thought Mora may bring Roberson in a couple series to run RPO.
Joe should of tucked it and ran instead of forcing some of those passes. Our receivers aren't good at getting seperation.
We will be fine.
Roberson has the best arm of the 3…

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
The thing you fail to understand is that Jim Mora is smarter than you. Our best QB is on the field, support him or get lost. For the love of God we are one game into his UConn career and we played the pre-season 4th ranked team in the ACC, not Holy Cross.
In fairness Rosa was also 3rd on the depth chart coming into the game and he was by far our best back so…..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom