Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here are a couple of questions which I consider more interesting, even if the answers are just as unknowable to us:

1. Do you think Ezi knows as of today where she will be attending college next year?

2. Do you think that Geno knows that, as of now?
Interesting questions. Lets consider what we know.
  • It's been well over a week since Ezi returned to Australia. She presumably has all the information she needs from UCLA and UConn, and would have had ample time to discuss her decision with parents, friends and coaches.
  • An article from a local Australian paper that was posted here on the BY indicates that Ezi's team in Canberra is both fearful that she's leaving for the US, and has already signed another player to potentially replace Ezi.
  • National signing day begins on April 17 and runs through May.
Based on what we know, here's my speculation.
  • If Ezi were remaining in Australia as a pro, we would already know it.
  • If she hasn't already decided which of the 2 schools she wants to attend, she's probably leaning one way or the other.
  • It's likely that Geno has called Ezi by now to follow up, and he knows exactly what she's thinking.
The closer we get to April 17, without knowing what Ezi plans to do, the better I feel about her decision. If UConn runs the table for their 12th National Championship during the interim, that's the "cherry on the sundae" in my mind in convincing Ezi that she belongs in Storrs.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
"Magbegor is set to move to the United States to play college basketball having visited the University of Connecticut and the University of California, Los Angeles in the past fortnight."

Canberra Capitals rookie Ezi Magbegor Commonwealth Games-bound but leaving WNBL

May the best team win.

200w.gif
Like the post. Love the dog!:)

Reaction Score
Here are a couple of questions which I consider more interesting, even if the answers are just as unknowable to us:

1. Do you think Ezi knows as of today where she will be attending college next year?

Yes to both....its been established recently that modern recruit announcements are quite choreographed ahead of time.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
  • It's been well over a week since Ezi returned to Australia. She presumably has all the information she needs from UCLA and UConn, and would have had ample time to discuss her decision with parents, friends and coaches.
  • An article from a local Australian paper that was posted here on the BY indicates that Ezi's team in Canberra is both fearful that she's leaving for the US, and has already signed another player to potentially replace Ezi.
  • If she hasn't already decided which of the 2 schools she wants to attend, she's probably leaning one way or the other.
  • It's likely that Geno has called Ezi by now to follow up, and he knows exactly what she's thinking.
The closer we get to April 17, without knowing what Ezi plans to do, the better I feel about her decision. If UConn runs the table for their 12th National Championship during the interim, that's the "cherry on the sundae" in my mind in convincing Ezi that she belongs in Storrs.
It seems possible that she has made a decision and has informed Geno and Cori Close, but for some reason the decision is not yet being made public. That would make more sense if she was trying to keep it secret in Australia (perhaps to avoid demoralizing current teammates as they pursue some title), but now that the cat is out of the bag that she is not staying Down Under, I can't come up with a good reason to withhold an announcement if the decision has been made.

That makes me think that she hasn't made a decision. From UConn's perspective, I don't think that is a good thing. It seems that in the past, most players who visit either decide quickly that the UConn basketball environment is what they want and they make a commitment, or they remain undecided and usually don't come. (Megan Walker would be an exception to that.)

I'm not sure why you think that a delay until on or about April 17 makes it more likely that she will choose UConn. What would she be waiting for?

Reaction Score
Getting home from UConn would mean a 3hr ride from Storrs to NYC and then a 23 hr flight to Australia with at least an hour layover. Total time minimum 27hrs

Getting home from UCLA would mean a 15min ride from Westwood to LAX and then a non stop 14hr flight.
Total time minimum. 14hrs 15min.

Yes, I consider 12hrs 45min a factor.
You have way too much time on your hands. It was just sarcasm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more fact that I left out of my prior assessment. The 2018 Commonwealth games are scheduled to be held in Australia from April 5 - 15. It appears that Ezi will be a member of the Australian WBB team that will compete in those games.

Two days after the end of the games is the start of the National Signing period for WBB.

Coincidence? I think not. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It seems possible that she has made a decision and has informed Geno and Cori Close, but for some reason the decision is not yet being made public. That would make more sense if she was trying to keep it secret in Australia (perhaps to avoid demoralizing current teammates as they pursue some title), but now that the cat is out of the bag that she is not staying Down Under, I can't come up with a good reason to withhold an announcement if the decision has been made.

That makes me think that she hasn't made a decision. From UConn's perspective, I don't think that is a good thing. It seems that in the past, most players who visit either decide quickly that the UConn basketball environment is what they want and they make a commitment, or they remain undecided and usually don't come. (Megan Walker would be an exception to that.)

I'm not sure why you think that a delay until on or about April 17 makes it more likely that she will choose UConn. What would she be waiting for?
See my post on the Commonwealth Games schedule. Likely that Ezi doesn’t want her decision to attend college in the US to be a distraction to her teammates on the Australian National team.

Reaction Score
See my post on the Commonwealth Games schedule. Likely that Ezi doesn’t want her decision to attend college in the US to be a distraction to her teammates on the Australian National team.

Speculation, but there are merits to waiting until after the Games to make her announcement as between UCONN and UCLA, which seems where this is tending.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
What I find encouraging is that it is an either/or situation. For some reason, UCLA is the "or." But we have absolutely no idea whether she prefers being closer to home, likes Westwood more than Storrs, sun more than snow, etc. That's just us talking here.

What we do know is that there are unspoken considerations that make UCLA the "or" as opposed to Baylor, TX, SC, ND, etc--the usual suspects in competition with UConn.

That it has come down to only two and precisely these two is her recognition that the difference in coaching and overall basketball experience between UConn and UCLA is sufficiently large to counter-balance whatever intangibles she's liking about UCLA.

It doesn't mean she'll necessarily choose UConn. But it does suggest that if she chooses UCLA she'll be fully aware of what she's sacrificing.

Note that Canberra, where she's playing now, is not a warm place. The linked article says it doesn't get heavy snow often because "it's too cold".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

How do you think this cuts? Her being in The Games, or for that matter with the Opals internationally, should be OK if she comes to the US for college. I'd think that for all concerned when she is certain she should spit it out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How do you think this cuts? Her being in The Games, or for that matter with the Opals internationally, should be OK if she comes to the US for college. I'd think that for all concerned when she is certain she should spit it out.
Here’s a better scenario. UConn wins it’s 12th National Championship in Columbus, OH in early April. A few weeks later, Ezi helps the Opals win the Gold Medal in the Commonwealth Games. A few days later in Canberra, Australia, Ezi holds a press conference. Flanked by her parents, she announces that she will attend the University of Connecticut and play for the greatest WBB coach of all time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ask her what school did she buy the most swag from,lol!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
So can we deduce anything by how fervent UConn is in its pursuit of Aliyah Boston, who, I believe, plays the same position as Ezi?

Reaction Score
Ezi will never be a 3. She's not like Sabally from Oregon.
She's a mobile 5 with few perimeter skills.

Ezi 5, Boston 5, Ododa 4, Amihere 4, Brunelle 3.

I see uconn getting 2 out of the 4 unsigned and another guard.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Do you see us getting Ezi?

technology-internet-fortune_teller-crystal_balls-technology-cartoons-jdo0398_low.jpg

Reaction Score
I'll take 2 from the 4 unsigned you (Ozzie 1986) listed and sleep very well.

Reaction Score

I don't know but I wish she'd hurry up and just let us know so that this particular thread doesn't go on for the next 4-5 months....................:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
I obviously know nothing about Ezi's decision and all any of us can say is just speculation.
Actually there really doesn't seem to be any question since her desired and stated intention is to become the very best basketball player she can. No one who is serious about accomplishing that goal could possibly be choosing UCLA and Close over U Conn & Geno. There are at least 6-10 better choices than UCLA if that's truly her goal / intention.
Since she decided she is coming to college to play ball here, it seems to be very close to a done deal. There must be other factors delaying her letting everyone know her decision.
If she chooses UCLA, she might as well have stayed home.
Unless she really has no clue what she wants (sort of like Arie on The Bachelor and then LA is very appropriate). Sorry for that bit of sarcasm but I think she's 95-99% or maybe even 100% a U Conn Husky.
Bronx23

Reaction Score

Yes and yes. By limiting her choices to two, she seems to have a good idea what she’s looking for and UConn can be very persuasive when there’s so little competition.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Where/How did you see this?????

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
"It's too cold" must be relative.

Average Highs in Canberra in June/July/August are 54F/53F/56F. Average Lows are 34F/32F/34F.

This is in comparison to Westwood.

It's also an average: In June, July and August last year, there were a few dozen days with lows of -4 (25 F) or less and a handful with lows of -8 (18F) or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom