Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I find encouraging is that it is an either/or situation. For some reason, UCLA is the "or." But we have absolutely no idea whether she prefers being closer to home, likes Westwood more than Storrs, sun more than snow, etc. That's just us talking here.

What we do know is that there are unspoken considerations that make UCLA the "or" as opposed to Baylor, TX, SC, ND, etc--the usual suspects in competition with UConn.

That it has come down to only two and precisely these two is her recognition that the difference in coaching and overall basketball experience between UConn and UCLA is sufficiently large to counter-balance whatever intangibles she's liking about UCLA.

It doesn't mean she'll necessarily choose UConn. But it does suggest that if she chooses UCLA she'll be fully aware of what she's sacrificing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So does UConn, in Stevens, Camara, and Nelson-Ododa. Besides having Horvat, UCLA is a much closer flight, a better climate, a better school, and a completely different style of campus than UConn. If those factors mean something to Magbegor it will be very tough to get her away from Westwood.
So 25 hours instead of only 20 for the flight? I guess she could get away for a weekend from LA.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic...

and I agree that if she were to come, it could be another 3-musketeer class for the ages, a la Mo/Tuck/Stewie

Reaction Score
And LA, California, sun, beach, surf :D vs Storrs, Connecticut, cows, snow. :oops:

...and what's wrong with Storrs, Connecticut, cows and snow? :cool: How about comparing Storrs to earthquakes, fires, mudslides, I-405 traffic bottlenecks and drought? Those cows look pretty good now, at least she'll be able to reap the reward for them, cows. :rolleyes:

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<Does anyone want to guess what the probability that Ezi will sign with UCONN? 50-50, 60-40, or some other percentage! >>

In reality, it's either 0% or 100%. :(/:D

Reaction Score
So 25 hours instead of only 20 for the flight? I guess she could get away for a weekend from LA.

Getting home from UConn would mean a 3hr ride from Storrs to NYC and then a 23 hr flight to Australia with at least an hour layover. Total time minimum 27hrs

Getting home from UCLA would mean a 15min ride from Westwood to LAX and then a non stop 14hr flight.
Total time minimum. 14hrs 15min.

Yes, I consider 12hrs 45min a factor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
...and what's wrong with Storrs, Connecticut, cows and snow? :cool: How about comparing Storrs to earthquakes, fires, mudslides, I-405 traffic bottlenecks and drought? Those cows look pretty good now, at least she'll be able to reap the reward for them, cows. :rolleyes:
Would also point out that Ezi initially grew up in New Zealand, with a colder climate and much less populated. Her family moved to Canberra when she was 6. While Canberra is the capital of Australia, it's population is only about 400,000. Australia itself has lots of open land as well as cattle ranches. I believe Ezi will feel right at home in Storrs.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Getting home from UConn would mean a 3hr ride from Storrs to NYC and then a 23 hr flight to Australia with at least an hour layover. Total time minimum 27hrs

Getting home from UCLA would mean a 15min ride from Westwood to LAX and then a non stop 14hr flight.

I don't. I don't think we have much to go on about Ezi's educational desires. We do know she left home 3 years ago to live at an academy that emphasized basketball and she wants to be the next dominant Aussie big in the WNBA and perform on the world stage. Planes better not scare her.

Reaction Score
oldude and Rocky finally put some sanity back in the discussion.

really, who the heck knows what the issues are? Oregon has 2 kids from Spain and one from Germany. why didn't they chose East Coast schools if flight time is the issue?

Reaction Score

Anyone who has made this flight would agree its rough. Still believe UConn a better landing spot, particularly since I believe she would not have to do this travel the usual 4 years. No one has mentioned playing with Z as an asset but she appears to have a skill set Ezi aspires to and would be a great mentor for a year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
well I'd very very happy to hear one way or another by March 21st....her decision may have an impact on future recruiting so the sooner she decides the better
Brake squeak....errrr umph. Wait, what? Are you intimating that if we get Ezi, we might not get Baby Bru?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While people are kvetching about Z and next year, I think Ezi might find it encouraging to look at Z's development under Geno et al and consider it a plus to have Z around to push her and bring her along next year, not to mention having ONO to go through it with and spell each other going forward.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Having done the trip from Connecticut, your math is wrong. The main issue is getting to LA to fly directly to Sydney or Melbourne, which you did note correctly as 14 hours. Storrs to Boston to LA is the time to consider and that’s like 7-8 hours with the layover at LA waiting for the flight. Now as for your 15 minute ride to LAX, umm I don’t think so unless it’s at 3 AM. Nothing in LA is 15 min ride.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
no I doubt that....I was thinking more about post players like Amihere and Boston
Whew, ok, I feel better now. I am fine with trading Amihere/Boston for Ezi. We've had a Canadian recently, so give me the down-under (Aussie/NZ) for change of pace!

Just don't jeopardize my Baby Bru hopes to go along with Azzi/Paige...:)

Reaction Score
So as a scientist, I've worked through the years with many foreign folks and in my experience it isn't always proximity to home but proximity to the nearest family member that makes the difference. The reality is the even being in LA, she won't be able to go home for every holiday but she could in CT more easily hook up with her brother who also can't go home for every holiday. I believe the 2.5 h flight to the older brother in GA will weigh into the family's decision.

Reaction Score
I've gone from thinking UConn was a really really long-shot to thinking it's 75% - 25% UConn.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Getting home from UConn would mean a 3hr ride from Storrs to NYC and then a 23 hr flight to Australia with at least an hour layover. Total time minimum 27hrs Getting home from UCLA would mean a 15min ride from Westwood to LAX and then a non stop 14hr flight.
Total time minimum. 14hrs 15min. Yes, I consider 12hrs 45min a factor.

It is not like she would be doing this very often! :D

Reaction Score
SB is not worried about any of Ono,Ezi,Amihere,or Boston being recruited in front of her.In fact she has said she enjoys playing with Boston and would like to do so again.She would be more concerned with a swiss army knife type player like Haley Jones who can be a star at four different positions.The best positions for both of them would probably be at small forward.If SB continues to shoot as well as we all think she can she would be in the lineup somewhere though.I see her as at least nearly as good as Samuelson as she progresses through her four years at Uconn. She seemingly would be a good fit if she went with THAT coach at N.D. and has shown some interest there,so here's to hoping that she realizes how good she is and comes to Uconn regardless of who else chooses the best destination in all of wcbb.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I used to fly overseas frequently on business. When I was young, it never really bothered me. As I got older, that changed. Now that I'm retired, any time I have to fly, no matter how long the flight is, it's seems like a hassle.

Ezi is young. She's already traveled all over the world as a result of her basketball prowess. At this point in her life, I suspect that the length of flights back home are not a major concern for her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here are a couple of questions which I consider more interesting, even if the answers are just as unknowable to us:

1. Do you think Ezi knows as of today where she will be attending college next year?

2. Do you think that Geno knows that, as of now?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ozzie was talking about "pulls" for UCLA. :cool:

Reaction Score
Having done the trip from Connecticut, your math is wrong. The main issue is getting to LA to fly directly to Sydney or Melbourne, which you did note correctly as 14 hours. Storrs to Boston to LA is the time to consider and that’s like 7-8 hours with the layover at LA waiting for the flight. Now as for your 15 minute ride to LAX, umm I don’t think so unless it’s at 3 AM. Nothing in LA is 15 min ride.

Really, we are going to quibble over 1 hour difference? I said NYC to Australia was 23 hrs, you said Bos to LA was 8 + 14 to Australia from LAX = 22 hrs.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Really, we are going to quibble over 1 hour difference? I said NYC to Australia was 23 hrs, you said Bos to LA was 8 + 14 to Australia from LAX = 22 hrs.
No, you said the total time was 27 hours from Storrs and then equated it to 14+15 min=14h15 and 12h45 min difference of which it is not. Let's agree on 14 hour flight. Your drive from Westwood to LAX is not 15 min on the 405. Now your drive from Storrs to Boston is 90 minutes plus 6:30 for flight plus 1 hour between arriving and departing in LAX is 22 hours vs. min of 14:30 so that is 8h30min max, not 12h45 min as you purveyed. That's my point so it isn't a quibble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom