Expectations? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Expectations?

Reaction Score
Because UConn basketball was invented in 1999?
It took the best program builder 12 years.
It took Ollie 2 years to win a National Championship. All of a sudden you people are willing to give Hurley a pass? Please! I hope Hurley is successful in winning a National Championship at UCONN but if he doesn't win one by year 5, this hire would be considered a failure. If Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, Polley, Williams, Wilson, a healthy Gilbert, Vital, and Adams along with the incoming freshman class of Matthews, Kisunas and another solid Point Guard show up opening night next season, this team should be really good. The foundation is set. No excuses!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I will repeat what I said when asked preseason what my expectations were in regards to Ollie...

Beat Cuse
Feel like I am watching a prepared basketball team

AND the rest will take care of itself
What he said. Most of us never thought we saw a prepared team physicall
Oh come on. Its already ridiculous how many people r anointing Hurley the new Caesar. What has he done so far to deserve this? He is just a bunch of energy, there r big questions about his coaching n recruiting. He never lost less then 10 games per yr till this yr in two low level leagues. If u ever meet Huley; u will find out that he is somewhat Dorky, more Bud Bundy then Tom Brady for sure. I am not going to the coronation
Met him when he was at SHU nice kid. Aren't you a little old to use Dorky as a descriptor. There are going to be big questions about any new coaches "coaching and recruiting". The one thing I think you might be missing is DH wants to coach college kids KO not so much. Listen to Susan Herbst's intro and she intimated as much

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It took Ollie 2 years to win a National Championship. All of a sudden you people are willing to give Hurley a pass? Please! I hope Hurley is successful in winning a National Championship at UCONN but if he doesn't win one by year 5, this hire would be considered a failure. If Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, Polley, Williams, Wilson, a healthy Gilbert, Vital, and Adams along with the incoming freshman class of Matthews, Kisunas and another solid Point Guard show up opening night next season, this team should be really good. The foundation is set. No excuses!
Carleton Whaley Polley and Wilson better come back with 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. Gilbert needs to come back with a healthy shoulder. Jump man may not see the court but if he does he actually needs to lose 10 to 15 pounds as does Cobb.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's not dumb and it is realistic, Ollie won a National Championship in his second season. I can give a rats if we make the tournament and loose in the first or second round. No one cares about making the tournament and loose in the first or second round. Championships is the only thing that counts. People only remember who won the National championship and not who make the tournament and loose in the first or second round. Again, a Championship in Hurley first 5 years or it's a bust.

Ollie was able to win one because JC left the cupboard relatively full.

Ollie left a couple cans soup.

Reaction Score
It is still too early to know about this year but I think if we can keep Jalen and pick up a couple other pieces we can be an NCAA bubble team. That is how high I hold Mr. Dan Hurley. Now if we lose Jalen and can't pick up anybody then above .500 might be more the goal. Either way I see up making the tourney in 2019-2020 either way and keeping a steady course similar to the Gonzaga's of the world.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You’re being too lenient. Hurley should have at least two National Championships in his first five seasons.

Reaction Score

No one even knows what he left ?
images

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You’re being too lenient. Hurley should have at least two National Championships in his first five seasons.

I think you may have your numbers mixed up there.

Reaction Score

Dude please, Giffey, Daniels, And Olander was in Cahouns dog house, couldn't get a sniff of playing time. Napier was terrible his sophomore season. Boatright was ok his freshman year. Brimah, Omar Calhoun, Nolan, Kromah, and Samuels never played for Calhoun. Recruiting was tough because Coach Calhoun left Ollie in a tough spot. Some on this board didn't think Ollie would have won 10 games his first season. Hurley is in a better spot his first season than what Ollie was in.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Dude please, Giffey, Daniels, And Olander was in Cahouns dog house, couldn't get a sniff of playing time. Napier was terrible his sophomore season. Boatright was ok his freshman year. Brimah, Omar Calhoun, Nolan, Kromah, and Samuels never played for Calhoun. Recruiting was tough because Coach Calhoun left Ollie in a tough spot.

They were young when JC had them, so obviously they'd play less than more experienced players. Of course they were 'in the dog house'. I thought that was just common sense.

That Giffey/Shabazz class all won a NC already. Incredibly valuable experience. [in contrast, we only have 2 guys with who've played in 2 NCAA tournament games on this team]

But everybody knew what we had in Daniels, Shabazz, Boat, etc. Giffey was a nice jack of all trades who grew steadly every year into what he was. They all had potential to be good to great players as they got older. Not so with this team.

Some on this board didn't think Ollie would have won 10 games his first season. Hurley is in a better spot his first season than what Ollie was in.

Not often I say this, but that last statement is an all time awful take. The team that came back in 2013 would have competed for the AAC title this year. Not a single player from this past year's team would start on that one (Boat would start over Jalen). Most wouldn't even make that team.

As a huge Ollie supporter, it sounds like you are just trying to rewrite the narrative on Hurley era before it begins. If he makes the tournament next year, it will be damn near a miracle. UCONN was one of the worst teams in America last year. If Hurley turned it completely around in year 1, then he might be Jim Calhoun 2.0.

And those who didn't think Ollie would win 10 games really shouldn't be discussing college basketball.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
They were young when JC had them, so obviously they'd play less than more experienced players. Of course they were 'in the dog house'. I thought that was just common sense.

That Giffey/Shabazz class all won a NC already. Incredibly valuable experience. [in contrast, we only have 2 guys with who've played in 2 NCAA tournament games on this team]

But everybody knew what we had in Daniels, Shabazz, Boat, etc. Giffey was a nice jack of all trades who grew steadly every year into what he was. They all had potential to be good to great players as they got older. Not so with this team.

Not often I say this, but that last statement is an all time awful take. The team that came back in 2013 would have competed for the AAC title this year. Not a single player from this past year's team would start on that one (Boat would start over Jalen). Most wouldn't even make that team.

As a huge Ollie supporter, it sounds like you are just trying to rewrite the narrative on Hurley era before it begins. If he makes the tournament next year, it will be damn near a miracle. UCONN was one of the worst teams in America last year. Read that again. If Hurley turned it completely around in year 1, then he might be Jim Calhoun 2.0.

And those who didn't think Ollie would win 10 games really shouldn't be discussing college basketball.

Some schmuck will probably falsely call me an Ollie defender for saying this, but we were 179th in KenPom and went 14-18. That’s obviously erroneous and unacceptable by UConn standards, but how is that “one of the worst teams in America?”

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Some schmuck will probably falsely call me an Ollie defender for saying this, but we were 179th in KenPom and went 14-18. That’s obviously erroneous and unacceptable by UConn standards, but how is that “one of the worst teams in America?”

A bit of hyperbole, but I'm more focused on major and decent mid major teams. We're ranked 179 in Kenpom, and a number of stats associated with good teams are in the high 200s, low 300s. Yes, we were better than Elon at 248, but do we even count them as a viable program? I mean, Danny's former team was 53. His former, former team was 2 slots behind us at 181. That's freakin Wagner for gods sake.

It wasn't hard to watch us get pasted by 20+ all the time, scrape by some complete garbage teams and conclude where we were at.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Just took a quick look.

In all the Major 7 conferences, there were only 5 Major Conf teams worse than UCONN in Kenpom-- Cal, Pitt, Wash St. SFU, ECU. That's insanity.

NB: I may have missed one or two

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Just took a quick look.

In all the Major 7 conferences, there were only 5 Major Conf teams worse than UCONN in Kenpom-- Cal, Pitt, Wash St. SFU, ECU. That's insanity.

NB: I may have missed one or two

Well yeah, no doubt we were one of the (if not the absolute) worst teams within those parameters. I just didn’t get that distinction from your OP. My bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As a huge Ollie supporter, it sounds like you are just trying to rewrite the narrative on Hurley era before it begins. If he makes the tournament next year, it will be damn near a miracle. UCONN was one of the worst teams in America last year. If Hurley turned it completely around in year 1, then he might be Jim Calhoun 2.0.

Say what you want but my "expectations" is Hurley must produce a Championship. He's getting paid $19-21 million over 6 years. He better produce a National Championship. It's Championship or bust. You don't pay someone $19-21 million to loose in the first or second round. At least Ollie produce a National Championship in his tenure.
*If everyone returns, he should make the tournament.

Reaction Score
UCONN is paying approximately $30 million for the next 6 years for its men's basketball program. Ollie's salary that he's owed plus Hurley's contract for 6 YEARS. For approximately $30 million for the next 6 years Hurley better win a Championship.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Say what you want but my "expectations" is Hurley must produce a Championship. He's getting paid $19-21 million over 6 years. He better produce a National Championship. It's Championship or bust. You don't pay someone $19-21 million to loose in the first or second round. At least Ollie produce a National Championship in his tenure.
*If everyone returns, he should make the tournament.

You realize there are at least 30 coaches getting paid this (and the number will only grow). So in the next six years, there will be at most 6/24 coaches winning NCs. Probably less. I'm guessing 4/24.

The odds are low. Very low. Especially from a person starting where this program is currently starting from.

He's currently got a barely Top 20 deal, below what he could command--Crean makes way more at Georgia. In 6 years, the floor for good coaches will be north of $4million/yr. That's the game.

UCONN is paying approximately $30 million for the next 6 years for its men's basketball program. Ollie's salary that he's owed plus Hurley's contract for 6 YEARS. For approximately $30 million for the next 6 years Hurley better win a Championship.

Ollie's payout doesn't factor into the equation of whether somebody should win a championship. It's a sunk cost. And it's not gonna be $11m.

Reaction Score
You realize there are at least 30 coaches getting paid this (and there wil be more). So in the next six years, there will be at most 6/24 coaches winning NCs. Probably less. I'm guessing 4/24.

The odds are low. Very low. Especially from a person starting where this program is currently starting from.

He's currently got a barely Top 20 deal, below what he could command--Crean makes way more at Georgia. In 6 years, the floor for good coaches will be north of $4million/yr. That's the game.
I recommend putting the troll on ignore. if we make the tournament next year and lose early he will say that Ollie would have won the championship. if we miss the tournament he'll say that Ollie would have had the team in it. You're not going to get anywhere with him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I recommend putting the troll on ignore. if we make the tournament next year and lose early he will say that Ollie would have won the championship. if we miss the tournament he'll say that Ollie would have had the team in it. You're not going to get anywhere with him.

Fair. But I'm not letting anybody rewrite the narrative. We are where we are, and it's very clear.

Plus, half the people are talking this is a tournament team, but that very much remains to be seen. I don't think so at this point, but will be more than happy to be wrong. I'd love for this team to make a strong NIT run.

The roster could change a lot, so I reserve the right to change my opinion. We've got incomplete info right now.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The roster (as is) is not a tournament team. It could be coached up to be one though.

Reaction Score

Oh Good God who the hell do some of you think you are fooling.

Perhaps you and a couple others who are clearly bitter Ollie stans can go root for whoever hires Ollie and let the program and fan base start to heal.

Reaction Score
Let me say this, I am a UCONN fan and there is no better feeling than watching your favorite team succeed. I am rooting for Hurley because I want to see my team win, but my "expectation" within the next 5 years is a National Championship.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Let me say this, I am a UCONN fan and there is no better feeling than watching your favorite team succeed. I am rooting for Hurley because I want to see my team win, but my "expectation" within the next 5 years is a National Championship.
OK - I'll take one shot at this....

You were an advocate of keeping Ollie. Do you really think he was on track to get a Natty next year? That is after all your standard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom