Expectations? | The Boneyard

Expectations?

Reaction Score
Now that its official, what are you expectations for Hurley in his first year? 20 wins, AAC title, or just being competitive in every game. I imagine people just want to see us run an actual offense. With CV, Gilbert and assuming Jalen doesn't change his mind, I feel like this team will be ok. Should be fun again.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Now that its official, what are you expectations for Hurley in his first year? 20 wins, AAC title, or just being competitive in every game. I imagine people just want to see us run an actual offense. With CV, Gilbert and assuming Jalen doesn't change his mind, I feel like this team will be ok. Should be fun again.

Don't know what the roster make up is yet, so this is a tough question. At the very least we must destroy the teams we are supposed to destroy and be competitive

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Don't know what the roster make up is yet, so this is a tough question. At the very least we must destroy the teams we are supposed to destroy and be competitive
Exactly. We need to wait until the dust clears first and see where things stand with the roster. I would obviously like to hear what Coach Hurley has to say at the announcement/press conference too. But yeah, to soundly beat the teams we should and to be competitive. That would be a solid start to Coach Hurley's tenure here at UConn.

Reaction Score
It'll be a rough transition year, especially if Akinjo doesn't come in or we don't get some sweet URI/postgrad transfers. But I want to see player development and a decent showing in AAC Tournament. I have higher expectations for 2019-2020.

Obviously pretty dependent on what Adams does.

Reaction Score
To early
Let’s see who he has for players first.
If everyone comes back they will be higher than most on the board ,if not that will be tempered accordingly.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
This is all dependent on a few things happening:

1. Does Adams return?
2. Do we land 1 more top 100 recruit to help fill our roster? (Akinjo or Harris from URI or other)
3. We are able to retain most of the roster, while we have seen a few say they will be back, many others it remains to be seen.

If all 3 of those things happen, I think an At-Large bid is a fair expectation.

If 2/3 things happen, a winning record and some momentum into the following season is fair.

If 1/3 things happen, we might be looking at another season of the same

If none of those things happen, doomed.

Reaction Score
Well we'll see who we've got coming back.

If Adams is back for sure, then... I think we already stand a chance to be really, really good. Adams/Gilbert/Vital in the backcourt is a pretty incredible back court for a down year.... Sid Wilson is a big help. If we get Diarra back, you're looking at a real, actual core.

I'm not really crazy about Cobb even though I love his energy. I have no idea about Polley, Whalley or Carlton. We'll see. I'm interested to see what the scoop is on Akinjo and whether there'd be any interest in re-committing, but he seems like a pretty hard line Ollie guy. I THINK we'll see Matthews and Kisinius get here.

Of his current recruits - I mean holy smokes would Harris be an incredible piece to follow him here to Storrs and just what we'd need. And apparently Brendan Adams is a huge Hurley guy, too - so who knows - it'd be nice to have a solid bench PG for four years after three years of not having a GD point guard at all.

Then there's transfers.

But yeah I mean I think all things considered - we should be good although I think Adams is a monster piece of that. If he comes back and Diarra is back - we've got a shot to take a really big step forward. I think people will be shocked at how much more Hurley can get out of this group than Ollie did.

Reaction Score
lebron.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Competent basketball. Decent perimeter defense and cogent cohesive offensive sets (which may be a reach at first). I wouldn't mind seeing in game adjustments and sensible subbing. I want to beat the mid majors comfortably and make 20+ point losses an anomaly. I want to be recruit the crap out of NE, and have a strong NYC and Jersey presence. If we get all that, I'll be pretty happy. The rest will come in time.

Reaction Score
Competent basketball. Decent perimeter defense and cogent cohesive offensive sets (which may be a reach at first). I wouldn't mind seeing in game adjustments and sensible subbing. I want to beat the mid majors comfortably and make 20+ point losses an anomaly. I want to be recruit the crap out of NE, and have a strong NYC and Jersey presence. If we get all that, I'll be pretty happy. The rest will come in time.

Perfectly stated, just rebuild a solid foundation for a couple years, then go from there.

Reaction Score
Just want us to be competitive and win a few of the nationally televised games against top out of conference opponents. No more 20 pt losses on national TV will help the program a lot.
If we make the NCAA tourney fine but a decent run in the NIT would be also be a reasonable expectation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I expect better more consistent defense and that boneheaded plays get you the hook.

We'll have to find out if there is enough talent to win real games.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Competitive, smart, and above .500. If they don’t make the tourney the first year, fine. Second year top 3 and a run in the tourney. Need to set expectations somewhat low

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This.

Next year I just expect to see noticeable improvement from the beginning to the end of the season.

A post season tourney would be nice.

I agree that would be nice
But please note that a few of DH's teams have tanked late in the season
But just having a new face brings new energy so that is what I am looking for as a starter
As far as who stays and who goes that is all speculative as is the crap that more would leave if KO stayed - all speculation
If all the players remain - there is a good working nucleus to work from and post season play is a reality
I'm hoping for the best because UConn needs to be good, better and best - real soon

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If Jalen stays we win 20+ games and maybe make the tournament.

If Jalen leaves we hover near .500 and are feisty defensively, but a trainwreck on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom