Expectations? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Expectations?

Reaction Score
I expect Hurley to kill it both on the court and with recruits. He will bring UConn back to the promise land.
Oh come on. Its already ridiculous how many people r anointing Hurley the new Caesar. What has he done so far to deserve this? He is just a bunch of energy, there r big questions about his coaching n recruiting. He never lost less then 10 games per yr till this yr in two low level leagues. If u ever meet Huley; u will find out that he is somewhat Dorky, more Bud Bundy then Tom Brady for sure. I am not going to the coronation

Reaction Score
Oh come on. Its already ridiculous how many people r anointing Hurley the new Caesar. What has he done so far to deserve this? He is just a bunch of energy, there r big questions about his coaching n recruiting. He never lost less then 10 games per yr till this yr in two low level leagues. If u ever meet Huley; u will find out that he is somewhat Dorky, more Bud Bundy then Tom Brady for sure. I am not going to the coronation
His resume speaks for itself. All he has done is succeeded everywhere he went. He was a champion at high level high school, at Wagner, and at URI. That's all he knows. That's what he will bring to UConn.

Reaction Score
His resume speaks for itself. All he has done is succeeded everywhere he went. He was a champion at high level high school, at Wagner, and at URI. That's all he knows. That's what he will bring to UConn.
Fair enough, the success were at the low levels. We r paying high D1 salaries for someone who has not developed a NBA player, only went to 2 ncaa and has not won a conference tourney in 8 yrs. The expectations r too high. His salary is too high

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd like to see improvement over the course of the season. I'd like to see a couple games against the top AAC teams where we don't fade in the last 5-10 minutes. I'd like to see a defense-first philosophy, although that can take time and recruiting. I'd like to see team hustle and grittiness, and I'll stop there so I don't reel off too many cliches.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I thought you were back to rooting for St. John’s?

Reaction Score
Listen, I'll be fine if it takes us two years to win a national title. Other than that, my only expectation is that DH thanks the Boneyard in the introductory presser. If he fails to do that, welcome to the hot seat
All seriousness, BY did play a role in shaping the conversation and the media went to the BY for content and take pulse of the fan base.

Reaction Score
KO lowered the bar to near the floor. He lost both recruits and valued team members. Last years team was basicallynoncompetitive against good teams. Teams we should have stomped pushed us to the wire and many times beat us. I knew by Dec 31st that we were toasted. This season I just want to have hope by that date which means I will like basketball again. I don’t expect greatness the first year but need to see competence from both the staff and the players.

Reaction Score
I want passion. Expletives are expected every few minutes. I want players to take responsibility and zebras to have fear. I miss JC.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
All seriousness, BY did play a role in shaping the conversation and the media went to the BY for content and take pulse of the fan base.

Always do. They rarely talk about us (though they've acknowledged it more recently), but I genuinely think a lot of their insight comes from us. I was literally quoted in the New London Day by DiMauro

Reaction Score
KO lowered the bar to near the floor. He lost both recruits and valued team members. Last years team was basicallynoncompetitive against good teams. Teams we should have stomped pushed us to the wire and many times beat us. I knew by Dec 31st that we were toasted. This season I just want to have hope by that date which means I will like basketball again. I don’t expect greatness the first year but need to see competence from both the staff and the players.
He won the NCAA championship. Most people wait a lifetime for a moment like this and still don't get it

Reaction Score
Fair enough, the success were at the low levels. We r paying high D1 salaries for someone who has not developed a NBA player, only went to 2 ncaa and has not won a conference tourney in 8 yrs. The expectations r too high. His salary is too high
He won a conference tourney last year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Why do you need to be unreasonable all the time?

C

Chief00

I agree that would be nice
But please note that a few of DH's teams have tanked late in the season
But just having a new face brings new energy so that is what I am looking for as a starter
As far as who stays and who goes that is all speculative as is the crap that more would leave if KO stayed - all speculation
If all the players remain - there is a good working nucleus to work from and post season play is a reality
I'm hoping for the best because UConn needs to be good, better and best - real soon

Interesting post and got Chief thinking about Calhoun’s transition @ UConn of trying to winning every game, to being a tournament team, then Elite 8 and getting to the F4 and winning NC’s all in the same step. Jim adjusted his approach, he told me he tried to make the tournament fun, an opportunity and that took some pressure off and players performed better - were not tight. I also thought of Ed Cooley - is he ever getting past the first tournament weekend or where is Mick Cronin’s ceiling?

Reaction Score
Well we'll see who we've got coming back.

But yeah I mean I think all things considered - we should be good although I think Adams is a monster piece of that. If he comes back and Diarra is back - we've got a shot to take a really big step forward. I think people will be shocked at how much more Hurley can get out of this group than Ollie did.

Agreed. UConn had talent, just a bad coach and no game plan. Will love to see what happens next season.

Reaction Score
Competent basketball. Decent perimeter defense and cogent cohesive offensive sets (which may be a reach at first). I wouldn't mind seeing in game adjustments and sensible subbing. I want to beat the mid majors comfortably and make 20+ point losses an anomaly. I want to be recruit the crap out of NE, and have a strong NYC and Jersey presence. If we get all that, I'll be pretty happy. The rest will come in time.

Perfect. I don't want to be on the edge of my seat against our early season schedule. I don't want to be shutting off my TV in disgust when we are non competitive against our premiere, out-of-conference opponents. I don't want to be embarrassed by a consistent lack of effort and execution.

Reaction Score
Some of yall have some really high expectations. This team was one of the worst teams in America last year. Going from that, to making the tournament is one hell of a jump. If a bunch of things break right, they've an outside shot to do so I guess. But to expect it is ludicrous.

My expectations have to do with product on the floor. Play for 40 minutes. Do not get down 10-15 from the tip. Play good, hard, mostly man to man defense; 3pt D % at least average, hopefully more. Run some semblance of offense with good spacing that eliminates bad shots; do not rely solely on JA. Rebounding: fix technique issues, box out and hit the glass with aggression. etc etc

Do not lose by 20+ eight times or whatever it was.

Basically reverse all the bad basketball trends and habits we had the last couple seasons.

Everyone should watch this clip that echoes this point. We can't expect a National Title in 3 years or decide someone is a bust. This is going to take time.

Reaction Score
I expect Hurley's floor to be Mick Cronin which is a pretty darn good floor as Cronin has his team competing near the top of the AAC every year. As far as Hurley's ceiling goes, right now, nothing but blue skies.

Reaction Score
A starting lineup that does not change every single game should also be added to the list of expectations

Reaction Score
He never lost less then 10 games per yr till this yr in two low level leagues.
False.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 6.59.03 AM.png

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I assume Hurley knows that part of the Job is dealing with the ridiculous expectations of fans. As we stand, we don't have a good team. If Adams leaves and Gilbert re-injures himself, we have have no one who should be expected to start on a good team. Just a good 6th man and a few guys with some potential.
Give Hurley time. Judge by effort and cohesiveness at first.
Don't forget that there will be a change in culture that may leave some players unhappy. I hope that JA and CV will be happy playing more team oriented ball. I particularly worry about CV in this regard. And EC may continue to be a problem.
Aside from that our bigs will not be a strong point next year and we MAY have a good back court if we are lucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom