Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Check the links above and you will find that ND was not among the most ovverated in the polls.

Last year, ND was unranked and went 12-0 until Alabama kicked their ass.

Brian Kelly has the Irish 24-6 in their last thirty games. ND has decided to emphasize football again and is well on its way back to the top status in college football again.

The days of Davie, Willingham and Weis are over.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-fighting-irish-football-recruiting/2680991/
I really don't hate ND as much as I do Brian Kelly after the incident!I once thought he was the answer but not after letting that kid up on the lift in that wind unless he demostrated himself how safe it was.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My paternal ancestors are from that general area Ballinrose/Claremorris/Galway. Wife and I are planning our first trip this time next year. Anything must see or do that isn't in the guidebooks? We'll be spending a few days in Dublin and the rest of the time on the west coast.

Been to Ireland four times (wife has been 9 times). Dublin has become just a modern Euro city. It's dissapointing. Galway is wonderful and I really like Westport as well, a hidden gem of a town. Hanging out at Matt Molloy's pub in Westport is tremendous. In general I much prefer the west coast. I think the Burren is really unique and interesting. One of my favorite aspects of most "tourist" sites in Ireland is that they are just sitting there, weathering through time, for your exploration (Newgrange is an exception). But for the most part, no paved parking, no tickets, no fences, ladders, safety ropes, just you and some old ruined castle, abby, church etc., and usually some cows or sheep.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips. The challenge will be whittling the list to a managable (read leisurely) pace.

Reaction Score
I would say that depends on finding the right coach. To me, there is no real reason that Miami, Carolina and the Virginias can't be good with Miami obviously having the highest ceiling because of the players in their own backyard, and the fact that when they have a good coach they win. Of course finding that coach and keeping him around is a lot easier said than done.

Agree 100 percent on Miami. Given the right head coach, they can compete for natioanl titles again. That is still dependent upon how their NCAA investigation turns out.

Carolina has a renewed commitment to football, but, the University will be taking baby steps in attempting to grow the porgram. Especially after the Butch Davis debacle. Our current HC, Larry Fedora, has generated some real excitement around the program, and, has recruited fairly well. If he wins, a bigger program is sure to come courting him. And, we'll have to make sure ur next hire will be as good as he is.

With the talent in VA, theres no reason VPI cannot sustain the success they've had, nor, any reason UVA can't be a lot better, either.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
ahh, genealogy. On my father's side, a relative from the Highlands of Scotland fought under Wolfe in the Battle of the Plains of Abraham outside Quebec in 1759. As a reward for his service to the Crown, he was given a land grant in Lacolle, Quebec which was later sold to Christie's seigneurie by his sons. I have my entire family tree from that member of one of the Highlander Regiments but I don't have his first name. Some day I have to get up to Ottawa and review the land records but prior to 1761 the transaction details were kind of sketchy. After some conversations with some Scottish genealogists I have found that those with my surname predated the clans so we were always outside of the clan system. So until I find his first name, I can't trace him back in Scotland. My surname originates in Norway and it is believed my ancestors migrated from Norway down to Scotland and them on to Rochdale, Lancashire, England. I have no discernable relatives from Rochdale, Lancashire though. On my mother's side, both her parents got off the boat at Ellis Island in the late 1890s and both originated near Krakow.

pj

Reaction Score
After some conversations with some Scottish genealogists I have found that those with my surname predated the clans so we were always outside of the clan system.

Not surprising, Funster doesn't sound like a Scottish clan.

Reaction Score
ahh, genealogy. On my father's side, a relative from the Highlands of Scotland fought under Wolfe in the Battle of the Plains of Abraham outside Quebec in 1759. As a reward for his service to the Crown, he was given a land grant in Lacolle, Quebec which was later sold to Christie's seigneurie by his sons. I have my entire family tree from that member of one of the Highlander Regiments but I don't have his first name. Some day I have to get up to Ottawa and review the land records but prior to 1761 the transaction details were kind of sketchy. After some conversations with some Scottish genealogists I have found that those with my surname predated the clans so we were always outside of the clan system. So until I find his first name, I can't trace him back in Scotland. My surname originates in Norway and it is believed my ancestors migrated from Norway down to Scotland and them on to Rochdale, Lancashire, England. I have no discernable relatives from Rochdale, Lancashire though. On my mother's side, both her parents got off the boat at Ellis Island in the late 1890s and both originated near Krakow.
My surname is an ancient Irish(Kingdom of Dalriata) in the extreme North of Ireland and translates into "Son of the Horselord" in Celtic and supposedly invaded or "conquered" the Hebrides into the Highlands or then called the Highlands and Islands and were part of Clan Ranald (sept of MacDonald of the Isles)in Islay/S.Uist and mixed with the Norse while assimilating the Picts the originaters of Blue Tatooing there bodies before combat!They settled on PEI and Cape Breton Island in Canada on dads side in the late 1780s after the tragedy at Culloden a step ahead of the King!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My surname is an ancient Irish(Kingdom of Dalriata) in the extreme North of Ireland and translates into "Son of the Horselord" in Celtic and supposedly invaded or "conquered" the Hebrides into the Highlands or then called the Highlands and Islands and were part of Clan Ranald (sept of MacDonald of the Isles)in Islay/S.Uist and mixed with the Norse while assimilating the Picts the originaters of Blue Tatooing there bodies before combat!They settled on PEI and Cape Breton Island in Canada on dads side in the late 1780s after the tragedy at Culloden a step ahead of the King!

|| '''' || ,,,, ///// | || |||||

Mine's pretty ancient, too. That's the short version.

Reaction Score

My wife and I spent five days in the Scottish Highlands last month. We stayed in Dores, Scotland. It is on the eastern shore of Loch Ness, about 8-10 miles south of Inverness. We also went to the Isle of Skye, the Culloden battlefield, Fort William, Fort Augustus and Loch Lomond.

In 2011, we were in Edinburgh, Sterling, Loch Lomond, Glasgow and Stranraer.

Reaction Score
My wife and I are motorcycle enthusiasts. We have toured from Florida all over the east coast as far as Amish country in Pennsylvania and as far west as Texas Hill Country and down to the Big Bend.

One can fly into Shannon and rent a BMW 1200rt for 7-9 days...

My only advice.....While southwestern Ireland is beautiful, do not take the recommended Ring of Kerry tour route....while being pastoral and beautiful, the narrow roads are littered with slow moving tour buses and gawking tourists in rental cars. Passing was difficult.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
When in Ireland, do not attempt to go the posted speed limit. In most cases, it's not safe. They have a whole different philosophy regarding speed limits... a very literal interpretation of the concept of "limit." Like, the speed posted will test the limits of your car's ability to stay on the road.

And watch out for the sheep!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife and I are motorcycle enthusiasts. We have toured from Florida all over the east coast as far as Amish country in Pennsylvania and as far west as Texas Hill Country and down to the Big Bend.

One can fly into Shannon and rent a BMW 1200rt for 7-9 days...

My only advice.....While southwestern Ireland is beautiful, do not take the recommended Ring of Kerry tour route....while being pastoral and beautiful, the narrow roads are littered with slow moving tour buses and gawking tourists in rental cars. Passing was difficult.

Only in the summer. Rule #1 of visiting Ireland...never go in the summer. I like it in October, but it's pretty mild most of the year compared to New England winters. I had no problems with traffic going around the Ring of Kerry. That said, it wasn't my favorite tour route of my various trips. Killarney was also not one of my favorite cities/towns, as the tourist aspect spoiled the charm. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but not my favorite. County Clare, Galway and Mayo are great. And the scenery in Donegal is awesome.

Reaction Score
Only in the summer. Rule #1 of visiting Ireland...never go in the summer. I like it in October, but it's pretty mild most of the year compared to New England winters. I had no problems with traffic going around the Ring of Kerry. That said, it wasn't my favorite tour route of my various trips. Killarney was also not one of my favorite cities/towns, as the tourist aspect spoiled the charm. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but not my favorite. County Clare, Galway and Mayo are great. And the scenery in Donegal is awesome.
There seems to be a concensus that Mayo is a can't miss stop when in Ireland?My greatgrandmother came from there and Im gonna try and get to Ireland soon and like the "Fall" tip to try and avoid the summer tourist rush and look up old ancestors.Is it more economical off season?

Reaction Score
You know what they say...the only difference between winter and summer in Ireland is the temperature of the rain.

We were exposed, outside for many hours every day...so summer was good for us with good rain gear. If you like hiking, being outdoors...December-February can be a little raw.

Reaction Score

Yesterday, on the genealogy show Who Do You Think You Are, Cindy Crawford learned she was the 41st great-granddaughter of Charlemagne which makes she and I something like 41st cousins. Luckily I didn't propose when she was begging me to. Incest -- Yuck!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yesterday, on the genealogy show Who Do You Think You Are, Cindy Crawford learned she was the 41st great-granddaughter of Charlemagne which makes she and I something like 41st cousins. Luckily I didn't propose when she was begging me to. Incest -- Yuck!
No doubt that is what caused that funky growth on her lip.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
There seems to be a concensus that Mayo is a can't miss stop when in Ireland?My greatgrandmother came from there and Im gonna try and get to Ireland soon and like the "Fall" tip to try and avoid the summer tourist rush and look up old ancestors.Is it more economical off season?
Usually, yes. For example right now there is a promotion I just saw for a 7 day trip to Ireland, airfare from NYC, rental car, hotels for $999 each.

I think September through early November is the best time to go. For my first trip there, we had airfare from DC round trip, bed and breakfast everynight, two nights in 5 star resort castles, rental car, trip insurance, for 20 days. Cost was $3,800. Obvously you are also looking at lunch, dinner, souvenirs, golf, etc. It was great...we put 2,200 miles on the car. It was my wife's honeymoon and my golf trip.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I love that stuff. On my mothers side, there are many cool links. There is someone who did much research on that family line and found out that I had a descendant that fought in the Revolutionary war and one of his brothers was a Torry. In fact, my descendant's brother was listed as someone who would be hanged if he ever set foot in Massachusetts again (he fled to Canada). Their father was a Captain in The French and Indian war. His grandfather died of wounds from King Phillips War. Also in that side was a link to Ralph Waldo Emerson.

On my fathers side, There is a link to a group that "traced" their heritage back to William the Conqueror and Julius Caesar. Whether it's a true link or not, I don't know. It's cool to see, though.

Reaction Score
I love that stuff. On my mothers side, there are many cool links. There is someone who did much research on that family line and found out that I had a descendant that fought in the Revolutionary war and one of his brothers was a Torry. In fact, my descendant's brother was listed as someone who would be hanged if he ever set foot in Massachusetts again (he fled to Canada). Their father was a Captain in The French and Indian war. His grandfather died of wounds from King Phillips War. Also in that side was a link to Ralph Waldo Emerson.

On my fathers side, There is a link to a group that "traced" their heritage back to William the Conqueror and Julius Caesar. Whether it's a true link or not, I don't know. It's cool to see, though.

It's bunk.

Reaction Score
Is some school in Ireland being considered for expansion?? That ND-Navy game last year paid massive dividends!

Reaction Score

I have a link that shows both my parents can be "traced" back to some guy named Adam and a broad named Eve. Go figure.

Reaction Score

I enjoy these geneaology posts till the games start I find them enlightening and very interesting!Always fun to see how alike we are though we all like to think were unique"which we are to a degree"! So many great American stories in our little group with more than FB interest in common!! Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
My paternal GG grandfather came over from Prussia in 1856 on the bark Gerhardt. He signed up as a cavalryman in the Civil War. He fought in Kansas and Missouri against Quantrell and southern raiders (and a few skirmishes with indians). He fought in the indian wars post civil war and was in Tombstone as a businessman when the Earps and Clantons were shooting it up...in his late 60's he moved back to Wisconsin to his son's farm (where I spent many childhood summers). He died at 95 still wearing cavalry boots.

My maternal GGG grandfather was one of five brothers from Bedford County Virginia who fought for the confederacy. Three of the five were killed as the union forces drove towards Atlanta. My GGG was killed in the battle of Rosaca. He is buried in an unmarked grave. My GGG grandmother and her brother went with a wagon to bring back his body but could not find him. Many soldiers were hastily buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom