Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As long as your chosen school plays good opponents, gets exposure on the national stage, plays a decent team in a bowl...all is good.

A 12 win season like FSU's last year, doesn't come around that often so I enjoyed it. A NC playoff birth is mighty nice...but, for me as a fan, it isn't the end all be all.

Carolina has not won the ACC since 1980, and, hasn't won 10 games in a season since 1997. So, I totally get your point here. I'd take a 12-2 record, ACC title, and, Orange Bowl win anyway we can get it at this point.

In the US, it is all about being #1...thus the demand for BCS and playoffs. I have always enjoyed football during the season and the bowl game was always the treat at the end of the year. The recent (past 20 years) emphasis on positioning for the national championship is different then what most of my fan life has experienced.

Bobby Bowden made the national title on an annual basis a realistic goal at FSU. You all still get elite recruits, even though you struggled his final couple of seasons. And, the past two seasons, it seems like you've really gotten back to where we all expect FSU to be...at the top of the ACC. If Jimbo really has turned the corner, the sky is the limit for your Noles.

For me, and many older fans, it is still about playing your rivals, winning your division and conference...the NC is nice, but isn't the driver for us.

For ACC members, save FSU and CU, that really is what its all about. You two are the only programs who can realistically make a run at the national title on any consistent basis.

Reaction Score
Don't know if anyone saw this, but they are projecting the VA schools to leave for the B1G and SEC, UConn to go to the ACC, Mizzou to the B1G, etc.

http://expansionrumors.com/?p=166

Whatever. I do think solid arguments here are made for Mizzou to the B1G. Looks like they'd still prefer the B1G.

http://expansionrumors.com/?p=83

Mizzou and UConn to the B1G?

I must say, if you want to discuss the idea of UConn to the B1G or the ACC with fellow conference mates who have an issue with UConn or on the fence because they question our football program (which is really not bad), all that needs to be said we are carrying the torch for non-Catholic New England now. At least. We have a stronger appeal than Boston College.

As said before, the Ivies and the Little Ivies used to dominate here but now the torch has been passed onto UConn. As many of you know, the northeast used to dominate college football (it started and was shaped here), then the domination moved to the midwest and the southeast by and now it's pretty much the southeast and Texas. USC has had some success in the west. There's a historical timeline thread for the football program bumped on the football board if you want to see.

Reaction Score
But still the Celts survived(even in England) in Scotland,Wales,Ireland,Cornwall,Brittany,Australia,SA,NZ,Australia,Canada and became the backbone of America and its culture!Absorbing the Saxon's,Norse,Normans..."who became more Celtic than the Celts themselves" in Great Britain!

Yes Nicky...genes live on through dispersion. And it is also why there are fewer and fewer "pure" gene pools as the world gets continually smaller.

I am proudly Celtic (ancestors from Dumfries Scotland)........ Angle/Saxon/Norman (with ancestors from Yorkshire)....Prussian (with ancestors from Priebrow, now Pryzboro in western Poland) and Cherokee (North Carolina). And Neanderthal as well...since those of us with european genetic backgrounds average about 5% Neanderthal genes, they now have found. We are an admixture of two species, unlike africans who are 100% homosapien.

That must give fundamentalists heartburn, since we are an admixture of two species...was Adam a Neanderthal or a Homosapien?

Reaction Score
Don't know if anyone saw this, but they are projecting the VA schools to leave for the B1G and SEC, UConn to go to the ACC, Mizzou to the B1G, etc.

http://expansionrumors.com/?p=166

Whatever. I do think solid arguments here are made for Mizzou to the B1G. Looks like they'd still prefer the B1G.

http://expansionrumors.com/?p=83

Mizzou and UConn to the B1G?

I must say, if you want to discuss the idea of UConn to the B1G or the ACC with fellow conference mates who have an issue with UConn or on the fence because they question our football program (which is really not bad), all that needs to be said we are carrying the torch for non-Catholic New England now. At least. We have a stronger appeal than Boston College.

As said before, the Ivies and the Little Ivies used to dominate here but now the torch has been passed onto UConn. As many of you know, the northeast used to dominate college football (it started and was shaped here), then the domination moved to the midwest and the southeast by and now it's pretty much the southeast and Texas. USC has had some success in the west. There's a historical timeline thread for the football program bumped on the football board if you want to see.
Yeah Butch,remember the term many in the south and west termed "East coast bias"?It wasn't long ago..(15/16) year's ago?

Reaction Score
Yes Nicky...genes live on through dispersion. And it is also why there are fewer and fewer "pure" gene pools as the world gets continually smaller.

I am proudly Celtic (ancestors from Dumfries Scotland)........ Angle/Saxon/Norman (with ancestors from Yorkshire)....Prussian (with ancestors from Priebrow, now Pryzboro in western Poland) and Cherokee (North Carolina). And Neanderthal as well...since those of us with european genetic backgrounds average about 5% Neanderthal genes, they now have found. We are an admixture of two species, unlike africans who are 100% homosapien.

That must give fundamentalists heartburn, since we are an admixture of two species...was Adam a Neanderthal or a Homosapien?
Same here!Islay,Hebrides,Scotland and Jacksons from (born,Coleraine,N.Ireland moved to York,England at 10 years old and sent to U.S.Colonies inVa with future wife as indentured servants)and Barretts,Gilmartins from Tipperary,Ire in 1888 to Wyoming Cty,Pennsy!Where my Great-grandma married a cousin of Stonewall Jackson in 1895?,Marion Jackson born 1865? creating my grandfather in 1898!!I love genealogy and American ethnicities!Also very proud of my own!

Reaction Score
The far west always railed about east coast bias...because the media has been east coast based...and half the nation is already snoozing while the pacific coast is getting their groove on.

Us southerners have always felt that there has been a midwest bias. The tradtional football powers of my father's day, Michigan, Notre Dame, Minnesota etc were still dominating the headlines as the new southern powers emerged.

Many southerners absolutely believe that Ohio State is over rated yearly (given their 2-10 record against the SEC since 1980). Southerners, as a group, have particular disdain for the Irish, who they believe get ranked several spots higher than they deserve based on tradition.

But now, with the SEC having a firm grip of the polls, the backlash has turned to the rest of the nation whining about some SEC teams being over rated.

Reaction Score
Yes Billybud I realize since the Celts pressed into the receding icecover in W.Europe the last stronghold of the remaining neanderthals there had to be absorption?I think the taller Celts have the most admixture as they were taller(Neanderthals)!

Reaction Score
Same here!Islay,Hebrides,Scotland and Jacksons from (born,Coleraine,N.Ireland moved to York,England at 10 years old and sent to U.S.Colonies inVa with future wife as indentured servants)and Barretts,Gilmartins from Tipperary,Ire in 1888 to Wyoming Cty,Pennsy!Where my Great-grandma married a cousin of Stonewall Jackson in 1895?,Marion Jackson born 1865? creating my grandfather in 1898!!I love genealogy and American ethnicities!Also very proud of my own!

My paternal grandfather was born/raised in County Sligo, Ireland and my grandmother in County Mayo, Ireland.

My Dad was the first member of my family born in America.

I hold dual citizenship (USA/Republic of Ireland), visit Ireland often and my wife and I are making plans to retire there.

Reaction Score
The far west always railed about east coast bias...because the media has been east coast based...and half the nation is already snoozing while the pacific coast is getting their groove on.

Us southerners have always felt that there has been a midwest bias. The tradtional football powers of my father's day, Michigan, Notre Dame, Minnesota etc were still dominating the headlines as the new southern powers emerged.

Many southerners absolutely believe that Ohio State is over rated yearly (given their 2-10 record against the SEC since 1980). Southerners, as a group, have particular disdain for the Irish, who they belive get ranked several spots higher than they deserve based on tradition.

But now, with the SEC having a firm grip of the polls, the backlash has turned to the rest of the nation whining about some SEC teams being over rated.

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/usc/t...tball-programs-of-the-bca-era-statistically/2

http://www.pollspeak.com/Football-N...d-teams-of-the-last-5-years-2013-edition.html

http://www.tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

Reaction Score
I agree

Many southerners absolutely believe that Ohio State is over rated yearly (given their 2-10 record against the SEC since 1980). Southerners, as a group, have particular disdain for the Irish, who they belive get ranked several spots higher than they deserve based on tradition.

and think most northerners believe ND is overrated and have been for quite a while and though the northeast has loads of Irish-Americans like myself(half) even they realize most of the allure is based on history and myth!BUT due to their national fanbase and recruiting grounds (right coach) they can never be counted out!

Reaction Score
My paternal grandfather was born/raised in County Sligo, Ireland and my grandmother in County Mayo, Ireland.

I hold dual citizenship (USA/Republic of Ireland), visit Ireland often and my wife and I are making plans to retire there.
My great grandmothers(McNulty from Mayo) and (Barrett and Gilmartin)grandfather on moms side came on the same boat at 16 years old in 1888 from Cork straight to the Irish settlement in Wyoming Cty,Pa for work on the railroad with predecessors assistance and ended up a railroad engineer in Tunkhannock,Pa in the early 20th century!

Reaction Score
Got married at 17 with the birth of their 1st child shortly after landing in Pa!!"1890"

Reaction Score
In our home PSU and ND were always revered by my family and Mom still loves them!I hold a spot in my soul like most Irish do but circumstances "Americanization and underdog love" led me to RU!

Reaction Score
My father was a Michigan grad (a damn yankee)...my mother was a Montgomery, Alabama girl. Two great european migrations came together in that marriage.

My dad was undergoing flight training (WWII) at Maxwell Field and met my mom at the USO. Dad was in a C-47 Skytrain to open up D-Day...shot down on his second run. The plane dumped their troopers and went down near St. Mere Iglese. The crew came under heavy fire in the field they landed in but were rescued by the troopers of the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment. After the war and after dad recuperated from injuries received in a B-25 crash while practicing for low level bombing against Japan in the final days of the war, mom and dad got married..... to the horror of both families (it was a much less homogenized nation in '45).

My dad loved the Maize and Blue, hated the Buckeyes and just didn't appreciate southern football at all. It was Notre Dame, Big Ten...and nothing else was worth your time.

He could recite Grantland Rice, tell stories about Notre Dame-Michigan...and thought that I had ruined my life by choosing FSU for undergrad. I did go to Wisconsin for post and that somewhat mollified the old man.

Reaction Score

I believe that the SEC’s reputation on the field is well deserved. What I do not like is that the NCAA seems to have a different set of rules for the NFL’s AAA league south of the Mason Dixon line whereby they can do no wrong (Auburn, Alabama’s 5 Star spa, Florida, Jonny Football at Texas A&M, etc.) while everyone else gets smacked (USC, Ohio St, UConn, etc.).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

My paternal ancestors are from that general area Ballinrose/Claremorris/Galway. Wife and I are planning our first trip this time next year. Anything must see or do that isn't in the guidebooks? We'll be spending a few days in Dublin and the rest of the time on the west coast.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Absolutely MUST see Newgrange. If you can stay a night or two at Ashford Castle, do it. The former ancestral home of the Guinnesses, now a 5 star resort hotel. Clonmacnoise is a good day trip too. So are the Burren and the Connemara. North of Galway , you can climb Croagh Patrick. If you can make it, it's a spectacular view.

Reaction Score
My father was a Michigan grad (a damn yankee)...my mother was a Montgomery, Alabama girl. Two great european migrations came together in that marriage.

My dad was undergoing flight training (WWII) at Maxwell Field and met my mom at the USO. Dad was in a C-47 Skytrain to open up D-Day...shot down on his second run. The plane dumped their troopers and went down near St. Mere Iglese. The crew came under heavy fire in the field they landed in but were rescued by the troopers of the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment. After the war and after dad recuperated from injuries received in a B-25 crash while practicing for low level bombing against Japan in the final days of the war, mom and dad got married..... to the horror of both families (it was a much less homogenized nation in '45).

My dad loved the Maize and Blue, hated the Buckeyes and just didn't appreciate southern football at all. It was Notre Dame, Big Ten...and nothing else was worth your time.

He could recite Grantland Rice, tell stories about Notre Dame-Michigan...and thought that I had ruined my life by choosing FSU for undergrad. I did go to Wisconsin for post and that somewhat mollified the old man.
Yeah Billybud I know what you mean...my dad was a PEI,Canada Scot who followed his dad and uncle to NJ to seek opportunities away from farming and lobster fishing(traditions brought from the Hebrides,Scot) and opened an upholstery shop (grandfather and uncle) in N.Nj with moderate success at 17 in "39" and joined the Army Air Corps in Newark in "41" as a bombadier in Foggia,Italy with Carrol O'Conner and Sen Joe McCarthy among others in the 10th Mt Division at 18 yrs old and did raids in Yugoslavia before returning to NJ after the war where my mom had just arrived from Pennsy with many thousands of Pennsylvanians seeking better employment opportunities when the RR and coal mines slowed down looking at the rise in manufactoring industry in NJ/LI/Conn WW11 and post WW11 in "40" when she was only 8!They married in "50" "Irish catholic and Scot Presbty" and I was born in Nov 51!I'll bet 1M NJians have Penn exodus roots today Irish,Slav's and Italians mostly all Catholic!I was raised non-denominational in my uncle Russell's chapel!

Reaction Score
Absolutely MUST see Newgrange. If you can stay a night or two at Ashford Castle, do it. The former ancestral home of the Guinnesses, now a 5 star resort hotel. Clonmacnoise is a good day trip too. So are the Burren and the Connemara. North of Galway , you can climb Croagh Patrick. If you can make it, it's a spectacular view.
Croagh Patrick...County Mayo?

Reaction Score
I agree

and think most northerners believe ND is overrated and have been for quite a while and though the northeast has loads of Irish-Americans like myself(half) even they realize most of the allure is based on history and myth!BUT due to their national fanbase and recruiting grounds (right coach) they can never be counted out!

Check the links above and you will find that ND was not among the most ovverated in the polls.

Last year, ND was unranked and went 12-0 until Alabama kicked their ass.

Brian Kelly has the Irish 24-6 in their last thirty games. ND has decided to emphasize football again and is well on its way back to the top status in college football again.

The days of Davie, Willingham and Weis are over.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-fighting-irish-football-recruiting/2680991/

Reaction Score
My paternal ancestors are from that general area Ballinrose/Claremorris/Galway. Wife and I are planning our first trip this time next year. Anything must see or do that isn't in the guidebooks? We'll be spending a few days in Dublin and the rest of the time on the west coast.

Drive through the Wicklow Mountains south of Dublin towards Glendalough in County Wicklow.

I think that the Wicklow Mountains are spectacular.

Newgrange, the Hill of Tara and Trim Castle in County Meath are good east coast sites.

Kilkenny is a good town to visit.

Other than that, the west of Ireland along the Atlantic coast is my favorite part of Ireland.

A drive through the Dingle Peninsula, Connemara and The Burren is a must. Go the coastal route between Castlebar and Killarney.

I love the drive between Castlebar (County Mayo) through Westport and Clifden down through Connemara National Park.

I have not yet climbed Croagh Patrick but I have been in the area several times. Beautiful scenery.

I am a big fan of County Mayo, County Sligo and County Donegal.

I like Kinsale in County Cork but not during the regatta in late July/early August. Too many international yachting types there then.

Reaction Score
For ACC members, save FSU and CU, that really is what its all about. You two are the only programs who can realistically make a run at the national title on any consistent basis.

I would say that depends on finding the right coach. To me, there is no real reason that Miami, Carolina and the Virginias can't be good with Miami obviously having the highest ceiling because of the players in their own backyard, and the fact that when they have a good coach they win. Of course finding that coach and keeping him around is a lot easier said than done.

Reaction Score
Check the links above and you will find that ND was not among the most ovverated in the polls.

Last year, ND was unranked and went 12-0 until Alabama kicked their ass.

Brian Kelly has the Irish 24-6 in their last thirty games. ND has decided to emphasize football again and is well on its way back to the top status in college football again.

The days of Davie, Willingham and Weis are over.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-fighting-irish-football-recruiting/2680991/

Perfect evidence of what I just posted. One bad coach can kill a program. ND had three in a row, now they have a good one and surprise! They have a great season.

Reaction Score
Perfect evidence of what I just posted. One bad coach can kill a program. ND had three in a row, now they have a good one and surprise! They have a great season.

There is lots of evidence that a bad coach can kill/harm a program.

LSU had eight of eleven losing seasons in the late Eighties/early Nineties under Mike Archer, Curley Hallman and Gerry DiNardo.

Texas had bad seasons under John Mackovic.

Alabama had bad/mediocre seasons under Mike Shula.

The same with Oklahoma under John Blake.

Look what Ty Willingham did to Washington. He is the Destroyer of Programs.

Lane Kiffin is another example at Southern Cal.

The list is long. Bad coaching wrecks a good, historic program with many built in advantages.

The head coaching hires make or break most programs.

Bad coaching hires can wreck any program, even ones with great tradition, tons of money, large fan support and good recruiting territory.

Reaction Score
Bad coaching hires can wreck any program, even ones with great tradition, tons of money, large fan support and good recruiting territory.

Looks like we're safe then.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel