Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC doesn't care about cable subscriptions because the ACC doesn't have a network of its own. This is why TV power matters so much less to ACC than it does the B1G. One look at rodeo ratings in Boston versus the # of superfans should have quickly disabused Swofford of any expansion idea up there--if he was concerned with future network cable subs.

Reaction Score
A brief look back at B1G expansion by Ron Guenther former AD at Illinois with one interesting comment that suggests there was credence to the idea that additional ACC schools were considering the B1G.
http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/local_sports/article_8097a746-2720-11e3-9f24-0019bb30f31a.html

About Ron Guenther from the article ...
Always a confidant of Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, he has been a point man on conference expansion, bowl contracts, football officiating and, in his words, “whatever Jim wants me to do.”
Guenther has always been close to Delany, and worked with him for a decade in helping bring the Big Ten Network to fruition. They privately discussed Guenther’s move to the conference office for several years before he stepped down at Illinois.

About B1G expansion from the article ...
Rutgers and Maryland will join the Big Ten next year, and Guenther was deeply engaged in that unexpected development.
“We ran out of options,” he said. “That was not what we started to do. Jim had challenged me to come up with ways to increase the conference value, and I worked with the Pac-12 to put a collaboration together whereby we would play a 12-game series with them in football, staggered over the first three weeks of the season. We’d then be able to capture all three time zones, thus increasing our TV dollars. Unfortunately, right at the end, the Pac-12 pulled the plug because some institutions had contracts they couldn’t break.
“The challenge then was how do we increase our revenue? I looked at the population base going east. Once we take the Big Ten brand into New York, with that population and the good high school programs … give this 10 years and we’ll see.
“This is so different from what we thought we were looking at. But I like our strategy. There were some other ACC schools that showed interest but that didn’t work out.”

Bold emphasis was mine. Curious to know: which ACC schools and why it didn't work out?

Reaction Score
A brief look back at B1G expansion by Ron Guenther former AD at Illinois with one interesting comment that suggests there was credence to the idea that additional ACC schools were considering the B1G.
http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/local_sports/article_8097a746-2720-11e3-9f24-0019bb30f31a.html

Always a confidant of Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, he has been a point man on conference expansion, bowl contracts, football officiating and, in his words, “whatever Jim wants me to do.”
Guenther has always been close to Delany, and worked with him for a decade in helping bring the Big Ten Network to fruition. They privately discussed Guenther’s move to the conference office for several years before he stepped down at Illinois.

Rutgers and Maryland will join the Big Ten next year, and Guenther was deeply engaged in that unexpected development.
“We ran out of options,” he said. “That was not what we started to do. Jim had challenged me to come up with ways to increase the conference value, and I worked with the Pac-12 to put a collaboration together whereby we would play a 12-game series with them in football, staggered over the first three weeks of the season. We’d then be able to capture all three time zones, thus increasing our TV dollars. Unfortunately, right at the end, the Pac-12 pulled the plug because some institutions had contracts they couldn’t break.
“The challenge then was how do we increase our revenue? I looked at the population base going east. Once we take the Big Ten brand into New York, with that population and the good high school programs … give this 10 years and we’ll see.
“This is so different from what we thought we were looking at. But I like our strategy. There were some other ACC schools that showed interest but that didn’t work out.”

Bold emphasis was mine. Curious to know: which ACC schools and why it didn't work out?

It doesnt matter at this point.... We would be LUCKY if the AAC kept this show on their schedule!!!!

Reaction Score

The Big Ten talked to every ACC school that is in the AAU. Gordon Gee basically confirmed that when he went on his rant. No one else other than Maryland saw an advantage, and they especially don't see one when they would be paying $52 million to make the change. Maryland is trying to get out of that or get it reduced, but they have not succeeded in doing so to this point.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten talked to every ACC school that is in the AAU. Gordon Gee basically confirmed that when he went on his rant. No one else other than Maryland saw an advantage, and they especially don't see one when they would be paying $52 million to make the change. Maryland is trying to get out of that or get it reduced, but they have not succeeded in doing so to this point.
The Acc hasn't been successful in forcing it yet either...

Reaction Score

Yes. Gee specifically stated - in referring to Virginia, Duke, North Carolina - "And I could see them joining us. And I could see them having a real interest in joining us.” Gee's statement indicates that the B1G had interest in expanding with further ACC universities and he speculates, but does not confirm, that these ACC universities may have an interest as well. The comment from Guenther is different. It goes further than the B1G just having an interest in ACC universities and the speculation on the part of Gee that these ACC universities might be interested. The comment from Guenther suggests that there were universities in the ACC - beyond Maryland - who did have, not might have, an interest in the B1G; that reciprocal interest was indeed present not just interest coming from the B1G. I simply found it an interesting statement for discussion with regard to conference realignment since it took Gee's statements a step further and came from a B1G official working closely with Delany.

It doesnt matter at this point.... We would be LUCKY if the AAC kept this show on their schedule!!!!

However, as one of our UConn hosts stated, it does not matter and in retrospect I regret the post as it is not important in the grand scheme of things. The ACC, with the GOR, is secure and the universities who signed the GOR want to remain in the ACC. It really makes no difference then how close or far other ACC universities were to leaving for the B1G. I also recognize, in retrospect, that posting on this board about B1G expansion and what may have happened with the ACC is not fair to the UConn hosts at this time given the struggle of their football team and what has happened to UConn in conference realignment to date. There are several of us from the B1G and ACC who have made it clear that we would welcome UConn to our respective conference. However, in the end, these are words and not action. It seems to me UConn needs action, not words, right now be it a new coaching staff for the football team or an invitation to their desired conference. Only the leadership of our respective universities and conferences can make that happen for UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
However, as one of our UConn hosts stated, it does not matter and in retrospect I regret the post as it is not important in the grand scheme of things. The ACC, with the GOR, is secure and the universities who signed the GOR want to remain in the ACC. It really makes no difference then how close or far other ACC universities were to leaving for the B1G. I also recognize, in retrospect, that posting on this board about B1G expansion and what may have happened with the ACC is not fair to the UConn hosts at this time given the struggle of their football team and what has happened to UConn in conference realignment to date.

No worries B1GALUM, keep posting. We're big boys and we can hear unpalatable truths.

Reaction Score
By the time Maryland actually leaves, the ACC will have escrowed about $35 million of it. Will they get the rest? We'll see.
Don't take it so personal after all you traded Md for L'ville and when the ACC network takes off you should see a bonanza!

Reaction Score
Don't take it so personal after all you traded Md for L'ville and when the ACC network takes off you should see a bonanza!

Who's taking it personal? I'm trying to help Maryland pack. Won't miss them in the least. Louisville is most definitely an upgrade. Maryland should go whereever they want to go, but they also should honor their commitments.

Reaction Score

Its well known that Delany was keyed in on UNC and UVA. And, FSU spoke to the B1G on their own, IIRC.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
By the time Maryland actually leaves, the ACC will have escrowed about $35 million of it. Will they get the rest? We'll see.
If that figure is accurate, the ACC will be writing a substantial check to Maryland.

You must wait 176 seconds before posting. Really Tom, must I?

Down to 128, this is pretty freaking annoying.

Okay it's 103 now, almost under a minute and a half, sigh....

Just 65 seconds to go, hmmm. hmmm, hmmm

Almost there 26 seconds.... I wonder if there are any bagel left in the break room?

Reaction Score
If that figure is accurate, the ACC will be writing a substantial check to Maryland.

You must wait 176 seconds before posting. Really Tom, must I?

Down to 128, this is pretty freaking annoying.

Okay it's 103 now, almost under a minute and a half, sigh....

Just 65 seconds to go, hmmm. hmmm, hmmm

Almost there 26 seconds.... I wonder if there are any bagel left in the break room?
Ha,I thought I was the only one to get that "you must wait 115 seconds before posting" thing!

Reaction Score
If we don't get the football program back to PPL (Pre Pasqualoni Levels), I wouldn't worry about any conference invites. They won't be forthcoming.

Reaction Score
If we don't get the football program back to PPL (Pre Pasqualoni Levels), I wouldn't worry about any conference invites. They won't be forthcoming.

Yes we would, maybe the Northeast conference would invite us... imagine UConn-CCSU at the Rent... 100 people??

Reaction Score

Nicky, come on, man. Nobody in the ACC believes that having our own network is imminent. Its going to be a process to see if its evn viable. Three to four years, at a minimum. It might not be our future. Who knows at this point? If the a la carte options ever becomes available, that would chage things again. Due diligence, sir. :)

Reaction Score
Nicky, come on, man. Nobody in the ACC believes that having our own network is imminent. Its going to be a process to see if its evn viable. Three to four years, at a minimum. It might not be our future. Who knows at this point? If the a la carte options ever becomes available, that would chage things again. Due diligence, sir. :)
I was just being facetious SouthronCross!You know I know better than that....just teasing stimpy the "Cavalier?".btw,theres a bunch of guys on the SU board who think that an ACC net is just a matter of time though we all know espin will drag their feet on going against something they already control even if they have to pony up a few more dollars!SEC already covers most of that territory already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom