Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Genealogy is one of my hobbies
That war was a lot like CR a lot of bluster but little action.
Shots were fired but the death toll was less than 10
My wife is a related to the Sterlings (The family that lived in Sterling CT).
A bunched moved to the Wyoming valley after &I war.
Connecticut eventually gave up their claim. The King had granted two groups the same land. (politicians never change)
However Ct settlers were allowed to keep their land.
The next targets for Ct expansion were Vermont, upstate NY , Northern Ohio and Southern Michigan.
The Midwest has a deep cultural tie to Ct. New Jersey was an earlier target of Ct expansion. Ever wonder why you have a Fairfield NJ. the first settlers were from fairfield Ct.
To add to this older tradition the great migration from Europe 1890-1920 The NE and The Eastern Midwest were the primary targets.
Often families split because of work opportunities in these industrial areas.
You might say Ct is the mother or at least cousin of the B1G.
On the other hand Steven Austin was from a Ct family and he was pretty important to Texas.

Reaction Score
Many, if not most of us who can go back in the US before 1840, orginally came from families located on the eastern seaboard....the great Scots-Irish migration through the Carolinas into Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Texas.

The British settlement from New England through Georgia.

Than there were the later Prussian migration into Pennsylvania and Wisconsin....the Danes, Swedes into the western midwest, etc.

And then the later migrations to California....and here in Florida, we have the great migration of the blue hairs from Michigan.

I run into the blue haired snowbird on US 19. He's the guy in the faded mid 80's cadillac parade float, replete with masonic sticker, the windows down (broken A/C), tooling along at 35 in a 55, cigar dangling out the window. The breeze is blowing back his badly dyed reddish brown toupee, his shirt open to show off his genuine gold plated 1970 chain, as he regales his mousy, crepe throated spouse about his exploits on the local par three golf course.

It's like locusts. A plague sent by God to humble us. The blue hairs clog the restaurants from December through April....you can't find a seat before 8:00 PM. They all scurry back to where ever they go at 8:00 as if internally programmed.

Now, don't take it that I don't like these ancient blue haired refugees from the rust belt with their white belts, plaid shorts, and Pat Boone white buck shoes...I find them to be interesting as a living anachronism in the same way that I do horseshoe crabs.

If only they would run up in mass and die on the beach in August like the crabs.

Reaction Score
Stuff like this goes to show we are culturally similar to the B1G. Because we used to own some of their land! Let's take it back!

Is that the first civil strife in the US after the American Revolutionary War?
Im pretty sure it was around the same time though I'll have to look into again and let you know?Im pretty sure it was around 1773 or 74 thru till the later part of that decade!?!

Reaction Score
The Whiskey Rebellion in western Pennsylvania in the early 1790's was probably the first civil unrest....post Revolution.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With Duke, UNC, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, etc...I don't think that the ACC thinks that not having UConn threatens their basketball....and, when you get right down to it, football is still how a conference is judged.

Baseball IS important in the ACC, unlike the Big Ten where baseball falls way behind wrestling. But who cares if the Big 12, ACC, and SEC love their baseball....it is football, football, football.

Who cares in the end about women's basketball and soccer? How do they really draw?

Given that UConn has won more hoop titles in men's and women's hoop than basically everyone in the past decade and a half and that they're quite good at both baseball and soccer, I'd say that those sports don't count for much.

Then again, most of the schools poached from the Big East have sucked ass at football and most of the schools in the conferences that did the poaching also suck ass...maybe this s--- was just naked greed? (And a healthy dollop of ACC jealousy over their fading hoop brand.)

Football's just a convenient cover.

Reaction Score
Many, if not most of us who can go back in the US before 1840, orginally came from families located on the eastern seaboard....the great Scots-Irish migration through the Carolinas into Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Texas.

The British settlement from New England through Georgia.

Than there were the later Prussian migration into Pennsylvania and Wisconsin....the Danes, Swedes into the western midwest, etc.

And then the later migrations to California....and here in Florida, we have the great migration of the blue hairs from Michigan.

I run into the blue haired snowbird on US 19. He's the guy in the faded mid 80's cadillac parade float, replete with masonic sticker, the windows down (broken A/C), tooling along at 35 in a 55, cigar dangling out the window. The breeze is blowing back his badly dyed reddish brown toupee, his shirt open to show off his genuine gold plated 1970 chain, as he regales his mousy, crepe throated spouse about his exploits on the local par three golf course.

It's like locusts. A plague sent by God to humble us. The blue hairs clog the restaurants from December through April....you can't find a seat before 8:00 PM. They all scurry back to where ever they go at 8:00 as if internally programmed.

Now, don't take it that I don't like these ancient blue haired refugees from the rust belt with their white belts, plaid shorts, and Pat Boone white buck shoes...I find them to be interesting as a living anachronism in the same way that I do horseshoe crabs.

If only they would run up in mass and die on the beach in August like the crabs.
Yes most of the middle southerners who claim American as there ancestry are Scots-Irish with traditional SI surnames living along appalachian trail from Conn/NJ/NY/PA all the way to Texas/Okla/Ark and everywhere in between!Anyone interested should read the book "Born Fighting" but I can't think of the authors name?Johnny Cash,John Wayne and a great number of our presidents claim Scots Irish ancestry !!

Reaction Score
With Duke, UNC, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, etc...I don't think that the ACC thinks that not having UConn threatens their basketball....and, when you get right down to it, football is still how a conference is judged.

Baseball IS important in the ACC, unlike the Big Ten where baseball falls way behind wrestling. But who cares if the Big 12, ACC, and SEC love their baseball....it is football, football, football.

Who cares in the end about women's basketball and soccer? How do they really draw?

I think you're wrong. The ACC is the best conference right now. With UConn, they can seal it. UConn goes to the B1G, and the ACC is no longer the best conference. The 2 are equal. If UConn and Kansas go to the B1G, the B1G becomes the best bball conference and 2nd best football, and the ACC can't lay claim to anything.

Line up the schools:

Indiana, UConn, Michigan St., Maryland, Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa (and a bunch of others that are not very good)

UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, NC State, Pitt, Florida St., Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame (and also rans)

Seems pretty equal to me. Depending on your point of view, Michigan and Ohio St. might even be considered better bball schools for the time being than NC State and Pitt.

Reaction Score
Sucking is relative....The Big East sucked...the AAC Hoovers..

Nobody but nobody cares about the women's sports in the big picture...

Nobody cares (or probably even knows) that North Carolina's women won five of the last seven soccer national championships and Notre Dame the sixth of the seven. Complete dominance.

Or that the ACC's men's soccer has won five national championships since 2005.

That isn't important....nobody kknows, nobody cares...

Reaction Score
Or Lacrosse...who knows?

Who knows that the ACC teams, including Syracuse as of this year, won six of the last eight men's lacrosse national championships?

Who cares?

It is football, football, football.

Reaction Score
Penn State has owned women's volleyball...winning four of the last sic NC's...who the hell knows or cares...we wonder how the Nittany Lions will do in football this year....it is a sad state of affairs if you follow the other sports.

Reaction Score
Sucking is relative....The Big East sucked...the AAC Hoovers..

Nobody but nobody cares about the women's sports in the big picture...

Nobody cares (or probably even knows) that North Carolina's women won five of the last seven soccer national championships and Notre Dame the sixth of the seven. Complete dominance.

Or that the ACC's men's soccer has won five national championships since 2005.

That isn't important....nobody kknows, nobody cares...

The BE was better at football than the ACC if you look at BCS bowls, championships, top ranked teams and wins. Pretty much in all metrics. The thing is, however, that West Virginia was the team that carried it, and now it's in the B12. When it came to Cuse, Pitt and Louisville, UConn had a winning record against these three in the Big East. And UConn was not very good. In other words, the ACC did not pick up the best of the BE, that's for sure.

With Miami and VT, it certainly did, but Miami then imploded. What I couldn't figure out as a BE football fan is how BC managed to make your championship game a couple times. That was a head scratcher. In its entire BE history, BC never finished higher than 3rd.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
.I find them to be interesting as a living anachronism in the same way that I do horseshoe crabs.

I bet the Seminoles say the same thing about you. The real ones that your university stole the nickname from.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Penn State has owned women's volleyball...winning four of the last sic NC's...who the hell knows or cares...we wonder how the Nittany Lions will do in football this year....it is a sad state of affairs if you follow the other sports.
Obviously you know or you wouldn't have given us a heads up. BTW a program from "The" relevant football conference has been the leader in gymnastics for many years now and gets lots of fans in the seats. There's room for more than a myopic viewing of the world.

Seems like not every good old boy agrees with you.

Reaction Score
Total BCS appearances in rankings....Top 10

FSU and VT are in top 10....No BE teams. When Miami left, the top of the draw left.

Heck...WVU won their BCS games but lost 2 of their last 3 bowl games against the ACC...and is 3-8 vs the ACC in bowls since 1989.

Reaction Score
I bet the Seminoles say the same thing about you. The real ones that your university stole the nickname from.

The Seminoles support FSU's use of their name and symbolism...and do so forcefully, in writing and testimony before the NCAA.

You a a blue haired Michigan snow bird with a peeling sun burned nose and black socks with shorts and sandals? I wondered what set you off.

Reaction Score
Obviously you know or you wouldn't have given us a heads up. BTW a program from "The" relevant football conference has been the leader in gymnastics for many years now and gets lots of fans in the seats. There's room for more than a myopic viewing of the world.

Seems like not every good old boy agrees with you.

I follow the "other" sports somewhat. My son was a soccer player and I am licensed to coach soccer (D license) at the HS level.. We watch soccer... women, men, Premier league, you name it.

Not too much of a track and field guy, but my sister's kid was a volleyball girl and we followed college volleyball.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Huh? You must be u

The Seminoles support FSU's use of their name and symbolism...and do so forcefully, in writing and testimony before the NCAA.

You a a blue haired Michigan snow bird with a peeling sun burned nose and black socks with shorts and sandals? I wondered what set you off.
Nah! Just having fun! And FSU may have their name but I'm sure more than one Seminole (not the FSU types) would still love to have all the other interlopers in the state die on the beaches. And they pick the native Floridians to go first over the blue hairs. :)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I follow the "other" sports somewhat. My son was a soccer player and I am licensed to coach soccer (D license) at the HS level.. We watch soccer... women, men, Premier league, you name it.

Not too much of a track and field guy, but my sister's kid was a volleyball girl and we followed college volleyball.
I thought you were being funny with what you were writing but the type of humor you were presenting doesn't come across well without hearing inflection. Difficult to detect sarcasm. So I was playing your game back at you.

Reaction Score

Which is problematic for the ACC, because it's their football product that would keep a 1 loss FSU team out of the playoffs. Consider that Sagarin had the Big East Football conference ranked slightly ahead of the ACC last year. Adding Louisville should help their cause if Strong sticks around and they continue to play at a high level. Otherwise, there's a lot of pressure for FSU to run the table in conference play to have a chance at securing one of the four playoff spots.

Reaction Score
Most Seminoles don't really want to go back to the days of living in chickees and spearing fish and frogs for dinner...

Like all of us, they relish their history but live in the present.

But migration and pushing populations has been the way of the world....since before the Neanderthals got pushed out and replaced, since before Celts swooped out of northern europe to push out the picts, only to be pushed out by angles and Saxons, who themselves were pushed by Norse and Normans.

And the hispanic and black populations will eventually submerge the white european based population in the US...it is inevitable. The world will spin on.

Reaction Score
Which is problematic for the ACC, because it's their football product that would keep a 1 loss FSU team out of the playoffs. Consider that Sagarin had the Big East Football conference ranked slightly ahead of the ACC last year. Adding Louisville should help their cause if Strong sticks around and they continue to play at a high level. Otherwise, there's a lot of pressure for FSU to run the table in conference play to have a chance at securing one of the four playoff spots.

FSU will do OK in SOS....FSU as a one loss ACC Champ will hold up well enough in most years.

They play OK State, Notre Dame, and Florida in OOC in 2014...as long as Florida and Clemson play well, and Miami is respectable...FSU will be OK.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
t that particularly worry has crept into their minds.

They're still hungover from the "we destroyed the Big East" kegger that ESPN threw for them.

ESPN throws keggers for paying more for Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse plus ND basketball than it should have paid for the entire Big East? I don't know too many organizations that celebrate that kind of failure. 14 of the 17 Big East schools are not feeling particularly destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom