Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, ESPN is not like CBS or NBC.

Almost 2/3rds of ESPN's revenue comes from carriage fees whereas CBS's revenue is approximately 2/3rds advertising.

In either case, both networks would be more concerned with about fifty other markets before they started to worry the likes of Louisville, Kentucky. It's a small market - not sure why that offends people.

It doesn't offend me...but maybe more folks watch college football in Louisville than in Hartford. ESPN already has carriage fees everywhere in the country be it cable or satellite....

For the second week of college football...

Birmingham leading the markets

For the second straight week, Birmingham was the highest-rated metered market for ESPN game telecasts, averaging an 18.0 for Saturday’s three matchups. Greenville, S.C., was second with a 13.8 rating followed by Jacksonville (12.5), Atlanta (11.2), Detroit (10.1), Tampa-St. Pete (9.3), Orlando (9.1), Columbus (8.9), Knoxville (8.3) and Fort Myers (8.3).

ESPN is the mothership with a huge inventory....Fox wants to compete and CBS and NBC want in the game..But the Four Letter Guys will hold sway for a while.

This last weekend:

ESPN Posts its Most-Viewed College Football Regular-Season Saturday Ever
ESPN 15-Hour Saturday Average Outdraws Competition’s Most-Viewed Game
ESPN & ABC Televise Weekend’s Four Most-Viewed Games
ESPN Wins Night Among Viewers and Key Demographics
ESPN, ESPN2 & ESPNU Each Top Competition for Saturday
Millions Go to ESPN Mobile Offerings

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...football-regular-season-saturday-ever/202041/

Reaction Score
As nice as some as you guys appear to be when anyone challenges what most of us think "delusional thinking" you all get very defensive to opposing rational views which I consider Fishy's to be? RU a BAD FB team?Maybe average or mediocre but bad? What do you guys really feel about UConn's FB team?Makes me wonder?After all RU would fare well in the ACC in FB!After FSU and maybe Clemson (not VT) whats so great about the rest of ACC FB?Yes,I'll throw the "U" in there to as I think Al Golden has them back on track but where have there fans gone along with there swagger??

Reaction Score
I would be furious at Swofford if Temple was added....even worse than the add of that Canadian team (Syracuse).
billybud,at least your consistent but some others here are a little over the top?

Reaction Score
As nice as some as you guys appear to be when anyone challenges what most of us think "delusional thinking" you all get very defensive to opposing rational views which I consider Fishy's to be? RU a BAD FB team?Maybe average or mediocre but bad? What do you guys really feel about UConn's FB team?Makes me wonder?After all RU would fare well in the ACC in FB!After FSU and maybe Clemson (not VT) whats so great about the rest of ACC FB?

Our viewpoint, as I have posted is due to our vantage point. I follow Rutgers only in certain games.

The 0-12 since 2000 against WVU (I do follow WVU if you haven't seen me on their board for the last 11 years) maybe has fueled my bias.

I am willing to admit that I may have an extreme geographic based bias re Rutgers since I do not follow them at all.

I only follow WVU because, back in 1982, I partied with a WVU couple at the Gator Bowl when FSU met them. We exchanged cards and I said the standard "call me if you ever come down"...well, they did. We sailed our boat in the gulf, have dived in the Bahamas with them, rafted rivers etc. We had sons six months apart who think of themselves as cousins

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It doesn't offend me...but maybe more folks watch college football in Louisville than in Hartford. ESPN already has carriage fees everywhere in the country be it cable or satellite....

Inadvertently, you're agreeing with me.

Short-term, it probably doesn't matter who the ACC chose - ESPN was giving them what they were giving them and swapping Maryland for Louisville or Cincinnati or UConn was not going to move the needle.

Long-term, however, if the ACC wants to move forward with a network, Louisville is a very small market and it's immediate area is strongly SEC. In terms of gaining carriage, they're a dud. You could pull a 50 share in the city of Louisville and that's still insignificant.

That has worked in the ACC's favor in some instances - Florida State, which is certainly a nationally prominent program, could not gain any traction with the SEC because they, like Louisville, are a small market inside the SEC's footprint.

If FSU moved the needle enough and the SEC snapped them up, the ACC probably goes to hell in a hand basket.

Reaction Score
Inadvertently, you're agreeing with me.

Short-term, it probably doesn't matter who the ACC chose - ESPN was giving them what they were giving them and swapping Maryland for Louisville or Cincinnati or UConn was not going to move the needle.

Long-term, however, if the ACC wants to move forward with a network, Louisville is a very small market and it's immediate area is strongly SEC. In terms of gaining carriage, they're a dud.

That has worked in the ACC's favor in some instances - Florida State, which is certainly a nationally prominent program, could not gain any traction with the SEC because they, like Louisville, are a small market inside the SEC's footprint.

If FSU moved the needle enough and the SEC snapped them up, the ACC probably goes to hell in a hand basket.

It all depends on your market strategy...the SEC wants a SECN which is based on carriage rates, not actual eyeballs tuning in. That strategy calls for ever conquering new area, not doubling up in the same state. The Big 12 has a different strategy since they do not have a Big 12 network...

The ACC's network strategy is, IMHO, more about exposure than money...a lot of digital access with little additional income to come from it in the near future, if ever.

Reaction Score
Our viewpoint, as I have posted is due to our vantage point. I follow Rutgers only in certain games.

The 0-12 since 2000 against WVU (I do follow WVU if you haven't seen me on their board for the last 11 years) maybe has fueled my bias.

I am willing to admit that I may have an extreme geographic based bias re Rutgers since I do not follow them at all.

I only follow WVU because, back in 1982, I partied with a WVU couple at the Gator Bowl when FSU met them. We exchanged cards and I said the standard "call me if you ever come down"...well, they did. We sailed our boat in the gulf, have dived in the Bahamas with them, rafted rivers etc. We had sons six months apart who think of themselves as cousins
I was just going to say that it seems perception changes with geography?Yes I know all about the WV hex my nephew graduated there "01" and my mom lives with his mother so I live with WVU when Im there!Actually RU and WVU fans get along greatly!Guido's vs Hillbillys Ha Ha and always jump between boards and were the 1st to congratulate RU on their move to the B1G and say they always root for us?Like I've said I love a rabid fanbase!billybud,I don't look at you as I do others I perceive sarcastic or snide!Your usually just saying what you feel and I'm the same way!

Reaction Score
Geography is interesting.

I just bought a cabin in western North Carolina (I have loved this area for a long while). You'd expect Tar Heel fans.

Nope...you get more Georgia and Tennessee fans.... with a sprinkling of FSU and Florida fans the further west you go in the mountains.

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the ACC. For the most part, our ACC visitors have been great. But, I really think Swofford was beaten badly in all this. Maryland for Temple is no kid of trade.

The notion that Maryland is some sort of prize is truly comical to me. It's an athletic department that as billybud describes it is "circling the drain" and has been for a long time. I truly don't see much difference between Maryland and Temple to be honest in the major sports. Both have trouble getting interest in their football product in their home towns, and both have more emphasis on basketball with Temple performing better lately. Both are public. Temple is a larger school in a bigger market than Maryland is in. Maryland is better academically, but wasn't in the top half of the ACC anyway. Maryland does offer top notch lacrosse especially with their women's program. That's about all the ACC will miss, but the ACC added Notre Dame and Syracuse lacrosse.

Reaction Score

I just bought a cabin in western North Carolina (I have loved this area for a long while). You'd expect Tar Heel fans.

Nope...you get more Georgia and Tennessee fans.... with a sprinkling of FSU and Florida fans the further west you go in the mountains.
I've loved the NC woods since I was at Geiger in "69" on our 21 mile force march!My gramps was a Scot-Canadian lumberjack who worked in the wilderness from Nova Scotia to Maine/Northern Quebec since he jumped out of his 1 room schoolhouse at 12 years old in 1902 to avoid a thrashing and didn't come home till he was 19 he was so afraid of what his dad would do!He's a legend in my family and had hands like a catchers mitt and was 6'3" 240 solid!I feel woods and camping are in my DNA (deeply ingrained)!I'd love to see the Alaska wilderness!But I love the Appalachian trail from Ga/Miss all the way up to Canada!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The notion that Maryland is some sort of prize is truly comical to me. It's an athletic department that as billybud describes it is "circling the drain" and has been for a long time.

Sigh.

Once again, we can't see the forest....it has nothing to do with their athletic program, it's about the market - they're in a very large one. Rutgers is no peach, but they're in an even larger market. Schools will have their ups and downs, but long-term, it's the market.

Not for nothing, but, s---, you're a Virginia fan....it's been a long time between drinks of water for Virginia sports.

Reaction Score
The notion that Maryland is some sort of prize is truly comical to me. It's an athletic department that as billybud describes it is "circling the drain" and has been for a long time. I truly don't see much difference between Maryland and Temple to be honest in the major sports. Both have trouble getting interest in their football product in their home towns, and both have more emphasis on basketball with Temple performing better lately. Both are public. Temple is a larger school in a bigger market than Maryland is in. Maryland is better academically, but wasn't in the top half of the ACC anyway. Maryland does offer top notch lacrosse especially with their women's program. That's about all the ACC will miss, but the ACC added Notre Dame and Syracuse lacrosse.
It must be nice as a Va fan up there on Mt.Olympus?

Reaction Score
Sigh.

Once again, we can't see the forest....it has nothing to do with their athletic program, it's about the market - they're in a very large one. Rutgers is no peach, but they're in an even larger market. Schools will have their ups and downs, but long-term, it's the market.

Not for nothing, but, s---, you're a Virginia fan....it's been a long time between drinks of water for Virginia sports.

I discussed markets. I believe that the Philadelphia DMA is bigger than the Baltimore DMA.

Virginia has 8 NCAA championships in the past 10 years in 5 different sports. I wish it were more, but it is what it is. The Tennis team lost 3 times in the finals. Should be 11 instead of 8.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I discussed markets. I believe that the Philadelphia DMA is bigger than the Baltimore DMA.

Virginia has 8 NCAA championships in the past 10 years in 5 different sports. I wish it were more, but it is what it is. The Tennis team lost 3 times in the finals. Should be 11 instead of 8.

What sports? Any of them bigger than women's basketball?

Reaction Score
What sports? Any of them bigger than women's basketball?

Men's Lacrosse, Soccer, and Tennis
Women's Lacrosse, Rowing

Bigger than Women's Basketball? I guess it depends on who's watching and what they are interested in. Hokies laugh at UVA's championships every day because they built a championship trophy case to put their Football National Championship Trophy in it. You know. It's the one with the Waterford Crystal Football. They have zero NCAA championships to date in anything else. While they wait for that Crystal Football, I guess we'll just keep adding the more simple trophies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Western Carolina is definitely not North Carolina territory - it's Appalachia.

Freaking beautiful out there.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Western Carolina is definitely not North Carolina territory - it's Appalachia.

Freaking beautiful out there.
I am very familiar with this area due to the Moonshiner "reality" shows. Great place to live if you can make a living.

Reaction Score
markets shmarkets...

And Houston is in a huge market...so is Texas San Antonio, so is FIU, so is San Diego State....

I'd rather have teams that people want to watch then those teams in their markets. Maybe Boise is in a micro market, but I'd tons rather have them then FIU.

Markets are for selling carriage rights...good teams are for good conferences.

Give me Bama, South Carolina, Auburn and screw the markets.

Reaction Score
I am very familiar with this area due to the Moonshiner "reality" shows. Great place to live if you can make a living.

My wife and I have been riding a Harley up to various areas in western NC for 13 years...several times a year. No matter where we have roamed, our hearts keep bringing us back to the land of waterfalls, long views, and rural life. We decided it was time to buy a second/retirement home. We have wandered the Blue Ridge, Appalachian, Smoky, Black, Unicoi, and Snowbird ranges, among others.

West Virginia is also a beautiful place to explore on a motorcycle...but North Carolina was it for us. I will go up at the end of this month and probably stay through November..back to Florida and then go back up in late March. My boy is salivating over his inheritance...two tickets on the 40. We'll be watching more games on the big screen.

Reaction Score
markets shmarkets...

And Houston is in a huge market...so is Texas San Antonio, so is FIU, so is San Diego State....

I'd rather have teams that people want to watch then those teams in their markets. Maybe Boise is in a micro market, but I'd tons rather have them then FIU.

Markets are for selling carriage rights...good teams are for good conferences.

Give me Bama, South Carolina, Auburn and screw the markets.

When you think like a Television Network rather than a football conference, you look at it differently. It becomes "How much can we get for the carriage in that DMA?" rather than what is the record of that football team. It becomes the potential of the football program and how many TV sets will tune into it locally if it does improve.

And you are correct in that Houston, San Antonio, Miami, and San Diego are large markets. The whole Texas idea for the ACC I'm sure is being looked at. Miami the ACC already has so rule out FIU, but San Diego puts Navy in play.

Reaction Score
ESPN/ABC isn't looking to be carried or to expand their carriage...I can not think of a market, major or not, where ESPN isn't on the plan.

ESPN wants eyeballs, wants to corral college football viewers.

They have a huge inventory....But the competition is really the quality matches. Fox will win this weekend's ratings with the Bama-Texas Aggies game...that is the competition that ESPN wants to win over the season.

Regional Channels (& I count the BTN as such) have less national carriage than does ESPN. Here in Tallahassee, on Comcast, it is not in the basic or preferred packages. One can purchase BTN coverage though.

and if you did have BTN, you could watch Akron vs Michigan, Western Illinois vs Minnesota, Central Florida vs Penn State, or Western Michigan vs Northwestern....not games for the casual fan....

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how well Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, etc. enjoy giving up playing Wisconsin, Illiniois, Purdue, etc. to go play Maryland and Rutgers. It's going to be a big change for them.

If you read some of their respective Scout boards, its a mixed bag.

Reaction Score
I think Mich,OSU and MSU will welcome it (at least according to there boards) as MD/RU are probably a signifigant upgrade on Ill and Purdue "at least talentwise" and RU/MD's recruiting has been better than Wisky's in the last few years!I don't think anyone cares what Indiana thinks..at least in FB?I think coming to NYC/Balt/DC areas offers more than most destinations so whats not to like?

After the first couple of seasons, whatever griping there might be will be gone. And then, they'll see RU and UMD as simply another B1G conference opponent. Which is exactly what you'd be. The assimilation into the league will be complete by then (2015), and, it should be smooth sailing.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how well FSU, Clemson, Virginia, UNC, etc. enjoy giving up playing Maryland, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech etc. to go play Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. It's going to be a big change for them.

As a UNC fan, it is disappointing to see UMD leave, as they were a founding member of the ACC. UNC, NCSU, and UMD have all been in the same leagues together for what will be 107 years at the conclusion of this school year. It will be odd not playing them anymore, I do admit. But, if they feel their future is better served being elsewhere, I wish them good luck, and, God Bless 'em.

To your statement, truth be told, I do not think it'll be a big change at all for ACC members. Will it be weird? Yes, for sure. But, with the possible exception of UVA, none of the schools you mention ever really considered UMD a true rival. Everybody else has at least 2-3 REAL hardcore rivalries within the ACC, and, others that they'd like to play more often. I don't know of any who'd include UMD in either category.

Reaction Score
If I were King of CR:

I'd make ND play in a conference and have the ACC look like this..

North:

Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Louisville
Boston College
Pitt
Syracuse
UConn or WVU

South:

Miami
FSU
Clemson
GT
North Carolina
NC State
Wake
Duke

That alignment makes complete sense. Which is why it'd never fly.

Every school in the South Division would go for that alignment TODAY. No questions asked.

But, both UVA and VPI would raise Hades for being put in the North.

It could work, if the ACC would allow schools to schedule each other OOC in years where they don't meet in league play. Like UNC-UVA, which is the South's most played rivalry (118 games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom