Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going on trajectories....Louisville's is going up....Maryland's has been going down, down, down.

Why can't you accept it that ACC fans are ecstatic about switching Maryland for Louisville?
Have you been watching whats going on in MD FB billy?Locksley "not RE" has been accumulating some serious talent recently!

Reaction Score
Thanks but I'd still like to know where do they get in the BE that kind of SEC type coaching/athletic facility's support money upstater?

Their money was equal to UConn's until last year or the year before. Then suddenly they doubled donations and also revenues from seats (thee YUM center) which was a lark for the university paid by the taxpayer. It was a boondoggle. Good for the school though. I can't answer your question about donations. It is very unusual to DOUBLE them in one year. But, the AD Jurich has been adept at presenting a smoke-and-mirrors budget for many years. Put it this way: he made the UL basketball team seem like the best thing going by dumping all donations relating to the YUM center seats and to the basketball program in general into the ledger of bball revenues. Most schools include donations and seat donations under AD revenues. So, when Forbes called them the most valuable bball program around, they were comparing apples to oranges, not to mention how Louisville's high bball TV ratings are always mentioned (when we know the market is small, and TV eyeballs are glued to Kentucky, Ville and Indiana).

If I had to put my money down, I would bet that more eyes watch UConn in Conn. than watch Louisville in its market.

Reaction Score
Strong already turned down the SEC....I think that Louisville has the bucks to hold him...and he is a pretty good coach. I thought, at Florida, he was a good recruiter and DC.
I think Jurich had something to do with that as well. Money talks, but having Jurich as AD helps as well.

Reaction Score
And Maryland draws....who?

Like Rutgers is supposedly the New York draw, Maryland is the ephemeral draw for DC.

People watch programs nationally....Sure, Tuscaloosa and Tallahassee are very small SMSA's.....both isolated from an urban population center...But folks will tune in to their games.

Folks tune in to see matches of interest...and marquis match ups trump all.

LOL...Who will be tuned in this Saturday to watch FSU-Nevada when Johnny Football vs Bama is playing at the same time?
billybud,RU don't even need NYC and they still have a state of near 9M w/o the Philly/NYC population, thats just extra! I'm not disagreeing though with most of your post.But I still think Md is an excellent addition to the B1G!

Reaction Score
The problem with losing Maryland is that when it comes time to try to start an ACC network, you've replaced a relatively large, affluent market with one that is effectively the size of St. Paul, Minnesota.

Long-term, on the field, Louisville and Maryland are probably a wash - they'll be as good as whoever's coaching 'em.

The Baltimore DMA is about 1 million. The Lousville DMA is about 700 thousand. We're talking about 300 thousand in a Baltimore Market where few care about the Maryland Terps vs a Louisville Market that has its full attention on the Louisville Cardinals.

The ACC didn't lose the Washington, DC market becausee Virginia and Virginia Tech collectively are more popular there than Maryland.

The ACC network will be fine without Maryland.

Reaction Score
The Baltimore DMA is about 1 million. The Lousville DMA is about 700 thousand. We're talking about 300 thousand in a Baltimore Market where few care about the Maryland Terps vs a Louisville Market that has its full attention on the Louisville Cardinals.

The ACC didn't lose the Washington, DC market becausee Virginia and Virginia Tech collectively are more popular there than Maryland.

Can I see how you came up with the idea that Louisville has the full attention of its city, because Kentucky is very popular there, with a smattering of Indiana fans too?

Reaction Score

No self-respecting Cavalier should say anything to justify the inclusion of Trailer Truck Institute (AKA Louisville) in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Oh, Christ, you are a pedant.

Minnesota is completely irrelevant here. Louisville draws about half the interest in the city of Louisville - being charitable and considering the entire Louisville-Jefferson County area, that's about 250,000 people...roughly the size of St. Paul, Minnesota. You can insert the name of any city of that size if it makes it easier for you to swallow.

Their actually pull is probably somewhat less than that - perhaps I should have used Shreveport instead.

Pedant! No. You used a horrible example. You're right, nothing to correct here because I'll go with your last statement, that was a much better example.

Reaction Score

Ouch! Where are you getting your numbers? And what proof do you have that Va & VaTech are collectively more popular than UMd - I only see a wash. But then I also see other BIG schools with plenty of alum in the DC metro. I mean it's a national city, hell international.

I don't think the Big Ten Network, for example, is banking on just slivers of the Baltimore-DC metro. Foremost, they will likely push & secure the entire state of Md since the Terps are the state's sole flagship. The push for the DC market becomes more like you say, slice grabs, here and there.

But it would be a damn good idea for the ACC to get it's own network first. These suckers take time to get up and running. The BTN struggled at first and the Pac12 Network is currently working out many kinks, despite having very little competition in its own footprint.

I can imagine an ACC Network pumping throughout much of Va, but in NoVa and the DC CSA, it will face competition from the BTN, there's just not much to debate here. As for Lville, you have a UK issue - don't front. Lville is a bonafide crossroads city between the Midwest and South - Ohio River Valley - where terms like Kentuckiana are used - Upstater made this somewhat factual point.

Reaction Score
No self-respecting Cavalier should say anything to justify the inclusion of Trailer Truck Institute (AKA Louisville) in the ACC.

In comparison to Maryland (AKA Trailer Park on US 1), most would say it. But I'm not sure how this thread has gotten away from discussing UConn and turned into discussing Maryland and Louisville.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
This whole "Conference Realignment" forum needs to be burnt to the ground... we haven't had any viable leads since the ACC GOR. Wake me up when the ACC or B1G actually calls with an invite.

- All Hope Lost

Reaction Score
Ouch! Where are you getting your numbers? And what proof do you have that Va & VaTech are collectively more popular than UMd - I only see a wash. But then I also see other BIG schools with plenty of alum in the DC metro. I mean it's a national city, hell international.

I don't think the Big Ten Network, for example, is banking on just slivers of the Baltimore-DC metro. Foremost, they will likely push & secure the entire state of Md since the Terps are the state's sole flagship. The push for the DC market becomes more like you say, slice grabs, here and there.

But it would be a damn good idea for the ACC to get it's own network first. These suckers take time to get up and running. The BTN struggled at first and the Pac12 Network is currently working out many kinks, despite having very little competition in its own footprint.

I can imagine an ACC Network pumping throughout much of Va, but in NoVa and the DC CSA, it will face competition from the BTN, there's just not much to debate here. As for Lville, you have a UK issue - don't front. Lville is a bonafide crossroads city between the Midwest and South - Ohio River Valley - where terms like Kentuckiana are used - Upstater made this somewhat factual point.

You can pull DMA numbers using Google. I agree that the Big Ten's plan is to charge all the cable subscribers in the entire state of Maryland more per month for the BTN whether or not they care about the University of Maryland or the Big Ten. That is the BTN model.

Reaction Score
Have you been watching whats going on in MD FB billy?Locksley "not RE" has been accumulating some serious talent recently!

Yeah...rvals currently ranks Maryland's 2014 class as #64...Louisville at #16...Strong is out recruiting Maryland even if he is building just a class of solid Rivals 3 stars.

Maryland will get a great catch or two...like Jesse Aniebonam in this class and Deon Long last year and Stefon Diggs the year before that....the recruiting area is a good one to cherry pick.

You will see FSU's 5* Ronald Darby (Oxen Hill, Maryland) or 5* Eddie Goldman (DC) if you watch FSU games....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are flat-out dreaming if you think Maryland and Louisville are remotely equal markets.

Given the lack of rights and ESPN's reticence, the ACC Network is likely something of a fantasy until the mid-2020's, but since we have nothing but time to talk about this stuff....

Jesus, face things as they are. You lost a lot in terms of eyeballs and replaced it with a little. Maryland alone has two million households and it's been lost for a city of 285,00o people. Louisville splits its own city with the University of Kentucky and their influence doesn't extend one step outside of it. (It is simply their bad luck to be located in a state with Kentucky.)

Even if you took the most pollyanna-ish view, the ACC would be trying to shoe-horn itself into the 50th biggest television market that it would have to share with the SEC Network and the Big Ten Network. (Louisville's DMA is in the Kentuckiana area - if you want to compare 'em, Maryland's DMAs cover over 3.5M people...or about 3M more than Louisville's.)

Despite the hurried rewriting of affairs, the ACC didn't take Louisville for its market or its academics or anything else other than its place in the AP football poll. They needed to shore up the football conference to calm Florida State and perhaps Clemson. To that end, they did it.

To any other end, nope.

Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't care about "markets" as much as does the BTN.

ESPN is carried nationally with a very high carriage rate and they want eyeballs on games.....They care about metered markets so they can charge more for advertising, In this manner, they are much like CBS and NBC vieing for Neilsen ratings on a Thursday night.

And, guess what..ESPN's highest watched meter markets are in places like Birmingham, Greenville, Louisville,Atlanta,..etc...

Top 25 Markets for 2012 ..........................Top 25 Markets for 2011
No. 1 Birmingham: 8.9 rating .......................No. 1 Birmingham: 5.9 rating
No. 2 Greenville: 4.7 rating .........................No. 2 Oklahoma City: 4.3 rating
No. 3 Knoxville: 4.6 rating ...........................Columbus: 4.3 rating
No. 4 New Orleans: 3.7 rating .......................No. 4 Greenville: 4.1 rating
No. 5 Jacksonville: 3.6 rating ........................No. 5 New Orleans: 3.4 rating
Columbus: 3.6 rating .................................Atlanta: 3.4 rating
No. 7 Atlanta: 3.5 rating .............................No. 7 Jacksonville: 3.3 rating
No. 8 Oklahoma City: 3.4 rating .....................Tulsa: 3.3 rating
No. 9 Nashville: 3.3 rating ............................No. 9 Las Vegas: 3.2 rating
No. 10 Memphis: 3.1 rating ...........................No. 10 Knoxville: 3.0 rating
Austin: 3.1 rating ......................................No. 11 Dayton: 2.8 rating
No. 12 Tulsa: 2.5 rating ...............................No. 12 Greensboro: 2.7 rating
Charlotte: 2.5 rating ..................................Austin: 2.7 rating
Las Vegas: 2.5 rating ..................................Charlotte: 2.7 rating
No. 15 Portland: 2.3 rating ............................Fort Myers: 2.7 rating
Richmond: 2.3 rating ..................................No. 16 Pittsburgh: 2.5 rating
No. 17 Orlando: 2.2 rating ............................Nashville: 2.5 rating
Dayton: 2.2 rating ......................................Norfolk: 2.5 rating
Norfolk: 2.2 rating ......................................Memphis: 2.5 rating
No. 20 Louisville: 2.1 rating ............................No. 20 Cleveland: 2.4 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.1 rating ......................No. 21 Orlando: 2.3 rating
No. 22 West Palm Beach: 2.0 rating ...................No. 22 Raleigh-Durham: 2.2 rating
Greensboro: 2.0 rating ................................West Palm Beach: 2.2 rating
Cleveland: 2.0 rating ...................................Detroit: 2.2 rating
Ft. Myers: 2.0 rating ...................................No. 25 Cincinnati: 2.0 rating
Richmond: 2.0 rating
Portland 2.0 rating
Kansas City: 2.0 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.0 rating

Reaction Score
You are flat-out dreaming if you think Maryland and Louisville are remotely equal markets.

Given the lack of rights and ESPN's reticence, the ACC Network is likely something of a fantasy until the mid-2020's, but since we have nothing but time to talk about this stuff....

Jesus, face things as they are. You lost a lot in terms of eyeballs and replaced it with a little. Maryland alone has two million households and it's been lost for a city of 285,00o people. Louisville splits its own city with the University of Kentucky and their influence doesn't extend one step outside of it. (It is simply their bad luck to be located in a state with Kentucky.)

Even if you took the most pollyanna-ish view, the ACC would be trying to shoe-horn itself into the 50th biggest television market that it would have to share with the SEC Network and the Big Ten Network. (Louisville's DMA is in the Kentuckiana area - if you want to compare 'em, Maryland's DMAs cover over 3.5M people...or about 3M more than Louisville's.)

Despite the hurried rewriting of affairs, the ACC didn't take Louisville for its market or its academics or anything else other than its place in the AP football poll. They needed to shore up the football conference to calm Florida State and perhaps Clemson. To that end, they did it.

To any other end, nope.

What I was asssuring you of is that the ACC did not lose the Washington DC market or any presence there. Your comparisons would need to be condensed to the Baltimore market for Maryland vs the Louisville market for Louisville. And that comparison is much closer than your presentation.

Louisville's football AP poll numbers weren't as big a factor in their analysis as the financial health of its athletic department. The ACC sponsors championships in 25 sports. Louisville is close to sponsoring varsity teams in all of them with recently renovated or newly planned facilities and a healthy budget. They are discussing adding men's lacrosse which the ACC is good at.

Maryland just flushed 6 sports and is still losing money on what's left, and they will continue to do so in the Big Ten. Their recent report that has been made public projects them to continue to lose money until 2017 using rosy projections. They have their work cut out for them to get those eyeballs you claim. While there may be many TV sets in Maryland, a really small number of the eyeballs looking at them are looking at the University of Maryland Terrapins. They wouldn't be flushing sports if that number were larger.

And if the ACC is concerned about presence in large DMA areas because of the ACC Network, they can add Temple and get right in the middle of one much larger than whatever they think they might have lost with Maryland. I've been advocating UConn and Temple to be invited for a while now.

Reaction Score
Heck...if you want emphasis on DMA's instead of good football teams...you add teams like Houston, Texas San Antonio, Temple, FIU, Tulane, Rutgers, Massachusetts...etc.

I hope we never get to that.....

Reaction Score
Yeah...rvals currently ranks Maryland's 2014 class as #64...Louisville at #16...Strong is out recruiting Maryland even if he is building just a class of solid Rivals 3 stars.

Maryland will get a great catch or two...like Jesse Aniebonam in this class and Deon Long last year and Stefon Diggs the year before that....the recruiting area is a good one to cherry pick.

You will see FSU's 5* Ronald Darby (Oxen Hill, Maryland) or 5* Eddie Goldman (DC) if you watch FSU games....
I didn't notice this years class yet but I hear the #1 OL Damien Prince is strongly thinking MD along with a couple other Delmarva studs and Mike Locksley might not be HC'ing material but he sure can recruit,I believe you but its hard to believe with all those studs MD is recruiting as poorly as Syracuse?Whose ranked in the 68th spot or thereabouts? Heck,RU is recruiting about top 25 in all the services I'm pretty sure!?!

Reaction Score

ESPN is carried nationally with a very high carriage rate and they want eyeballs on games.....They care about metered markets so they can charge more for advertising, In this manner, they are much like CBS and NBC vieing for Neilsen ratings on a Thursday night.

And, guess what..ESPN's highest watched meter markets are in places like Birmingham, Greenville, Louisville,Atlanta,..etc...

Top 25 Markets for 2012 ..........................Top 25 Markets for 2011
No. 1 Birmingham: 8.9 rating .......................No. 1 Birmingham: 5.9 rating
No. 2 Greenville: 4.7 rating .........................No. 2 Oklahoma City: 4.3 rating
No. 3 Knoxville: 4.6 rating ...........................Columbus: 4.3 rating
No. 4 New Orleans: 3.7 rating .......................No. 4 Greenville: 4.1 rating
No. 5 Jacksonville: 3.6 rating ........................No. 5 New Orleans: 3.4 rating
Columbus: 3.6 rating .................................Atlanta: 3.4 rating
No. 7 Atlanta: 3.5 rating .............................No. 7 Jacksonville: 3.3 rating
No. 8 Oklahoma City: 3.4 rating .....................Tulsa: 3.3 rating
No. 9 Nashville: 3.3 rating ............................No. 9 Las Vegas: 3.2 rating
No. 10 Memphis: 3.1 rating ...........................No. 10 Knoxville: 3.0 rating
Austin: 3.1 rating ......................................No. 11 Dayton: 2.8 rating
No. 12 Tulsa: 2.5 rating ...............................No. 12 Greensboro: 2.7 rating
Charlotte: 2.5 rating ..................................Austin: 2.7 rating
Las Vegas: 2.5 rating ..................................Charlotte: 2.7 rating
No. 15 Portland: 2.3 rating ............................Fort Myers: 2.7 rating
Richmond: 2.3 rating ..................................No. 16 Pittsburgh: 2.5 rating
No. 17 Orlando: 2.2 rating ............................Nashville: 2.5 rating
Dayton: 2.2 rating ......................................Norfolk: 2.5 rating
Norfolk: 2.2 rating ......................................Memphis: 2.5 rating
No. 20 Louisville: 2.1 rating ............................No. 20 Cleveland: 2.4 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.1 rating ......................No. 21 Orlando: 2.3 rating
No. 22 West Palm Beach: 2.0 rating ...................No. 22 Raleigh-Durham: 2.2 rating
Greensboro: 2.0 rating ................................West Palm Beach: 2.2 rating
Cleveland: 2.0 rating ...................................Detroit: 2.2 rating
Ft. Myers: 2.0 rating ...................................No. 25 Cincinnati: 2.0 rating
Richmond: 2.0 rating
Portland 2.0 rating
Kansas City: 2.0 rating
Tampa-St. Petersburg: 2.0 rating

Doesn't the fact that Greenville is #2 tell you something? I mean, the most popular food in Terre Haute is fried cow's brains.

Reaction Score
Heck...if you want emphasis on DMA's instead of good football teams...you add teams like Houston, Texas San Antonio, Temple, FIU, Tulane, Rutgers, Massachusetts...etc.

I hope we never get to that.....
billybud,thanks for giving my school/rooting interest your vote of confidence!Especially after just taking SU!

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the ACC. For the most part, our ACC visitors have been great. But, I really think Swofford was beaten badly in all this. Maryland for Temple is no kid of trade.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, ESPN is not like CBS or NBC.

Almost 2/3rds of ESPN's revenue comes from carriage fees whereas CBS's revenue is approximately 2/3rds advertising.

In either case, both networks would be more concerned with about fifty other markets before they started to worry the likes of Louisville, Kentucky. It's a small market - not sure why that offends people.

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the ACC. For the most part, our ACC visitors have been great. But, I really think Swofford was beaten badly in all this. Maryland for Temple is no kid of trade.

I would be furious at Swofford if Temple was added....even worse than the add of that Canadian team (Syracuse).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom