Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An east west split in the B1G would also work

It's going to be interesting to see how well Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, etc. enjoy giving up playing Wisconsin, Illiniois, Purdue, etc. to go play Maryland and Rutgers. It's going to be a big change for them.

Reaction Score
One can always find four and five stars that do not play in the NFL and 3 stars that do....

In fact, the sheer math numbers would indicate that....since maybe 90% of football players coming out of high school are less than 4 star.

Some good info...

From 2009–13, there have been 160 NFL first-round picks, and looking at the 173 Rivals five-star players from 2005–10 (the first and last year of draft eligible, non-redshirting players) we see that 16% (27) of them were first-round NFL Draft picks. While this number seems less than spectacular, when you consider that there are approximately 2,656 scholarships offered to Division I football players every year (85 players per NCAA D-I team/4=21.5 scholarships x 125 D-I teams) and less than 1-percent of them garner 5-star status, the number becomes a bit more impressive.

The 16-percent (27 players) includes two players selected first in the draft and 16 drafted in the NFL's top 10 picks, or 32-percent of the top 10 in the last five years. Being one of the nation's top 1-percent of high school football players pays off. As a five-star player coming out of high school, you've got roughly a 20-percent chance of being a first-round pick and absolute multi-millionaire.

What about being a four-star player according to ? That would make you a football player ranked somewhere (on average) between the 28th and 300th-best player in the country, keeping you in the top 12-percent of the players in the country.
Pretty good, right? Absolutely. But with that, the chances of being a first-round pick in the NFL Draft plummets to 5-percent, even though 40-percent of all first-round picks in the last five years were four-star players and 30-percent of all top 10 picks were four-star caliber players.
're a three-star player from , then you fall between 301-750 according to their expert analysts, keeping you ranked higher than 87-percent of the country if you're at the top of the three-star list, and and ranking ahead of 72-percent of each and every player getting D-I football scholarships. You're getting a paid-for education at the country's top academic institutions while playing football and gaining legions of fans and the attention of curvaceous coeds everywhere, a pretty sweet deal no doubt but it likely means that your dream of being an NFL first-round pick has gone the way of the dodo.
Only 2-percent of three-star players become NFL first-round selections, despite the fact that the last five drafts have seen nearly 27-percent of the first-round picks come from this group. It's all about the numbers, and the odds are not in your favor. There have been only 43 players out of an estimated 2,250 three-star players eligible for the draft the last five years to become first-round picks, although 13 of those players have been top 10 picks.
In the same span, 2009–13, there were 25 draft picks that were rated two-stars or less who were selected in the first round, and six players (12-percent) who were selected as a top 10 pick. Those numbers sound comparable, but it becomes a significant disparity when you take into consideration that players ranked two stars or less make up roughly 72-percent of all Division I scholarship offers. Bottom line? As a two-star player or lower, you've got roughly a .06-percent of getting drafted in the first 10 picks of the NFL draft, and a .26-percent shot of being selected in the first round, period.

This is not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to a state like Connecticut which is lightly recruited, in which more 2 star players end up in the NFL than 4 stars. In your example, we see the %s play out very differently in Conn. than the national average.

I looked back to the 2004 class, and these are the NFL players:

Rob Jackson - 2 stars
Jamey Richard - 2
Aaron Hernandez - 4/5
Chris Baker - 2
Khaseem Greene - 2
Marcus Cooper - 2
Trevardo Williams - 2
Mike Cox - 2
Donald Thomas - 0
Amari Spievey - 2
David Reed - 2
Scott Lutrus - 2
Bruce Campbell - 4

The totals in that 5 year window are like this: 2-8 for 4 stars made the NFL (which fits with your national numbers), but 11-41 from the 2 stars. That's much higher than 2% nationally.

So, the recruitniks are as adept at assessing top players from Conn. as they are anywhere else (i.e they'll hit on an Aaron Hernandez while missing on a JJ Justice and Torrey Mack) but they consistently underperform in rating Conn.'s 2 star talent. Conn. 2 stars seem to have a much better chance landing in the NFL than other 2-star players from around the country.

This means the state is underrecruited.

Reaction Score
This is not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to a state like Connecticut which is lightly recruited, in which more 2 star players end up in the NFL than 4 stars. In your example, we see the %s play out very differently in Conn. than the national average.

I looked back to the 2004 class, and these are the NFL players:

Rob Jackson - 2 stars
Jamey Richard - 2
Aaron Hernandez - 4/5
Chris Baker - 2
Khaseem Greene - 2
Marcus Cooper - 2
Trevardo Williams - 2
Mike Cox - 2
Donald Thomas - 0
Amari Spievey - 2
David Reed - 2
Scott Lutrus - 2
Bruce Campbell - 4

The totals in that 5 year window are like this: 2-8 for 4 stars made the NFL (which fits with your national numbers), but 11-41 from the 2 stars. That's much higher than 2% nationally.

So, the recruitniks are as adept at assessing top players from Conn. as they are anywhere else (i.e they'll hit on an Aaron Hernandez while missing on a JJ Justice and Torrey Mack) but they consistently underperform in rating Conn.'s 2 star talent. Conn. 2 stars seem to have a much better chance landing in the NFL than other 2-star players from around the country.

This means the state is underrecruited.

Not to hijack the thread Upstater but Baker is a perfect example of how poorly the recruiting sites evaluate CT players as a general rule. My buddy, a coach at CCSU at the time who also worked with me third shift at the time, knew I was a UConn fan and spent all night third shift on the recruiting sites. He told me Baker was a stud, and with proper coaching and conditioning he was almost an NFL lock. He laughed at his two star rating on rivals and told me that if he was from down south schools would be all over him, and the recruiting sites would have rated much higher (he considered him a much better prospect than Damik Scafe). This was before PSU had offered and he accepted. I had a lot of recruiting conversations with him those nights. I remember how they were offering a scholarship to Matt Gomes of Naugatuck and we were offering a preferred walk on spot. There were also some kids from Md, they were recruiting that we were in on. I asked why they would even bother recruiting against FBS schools and he told me simply put, not every kid wants the pressure of FBS/BCS football. He said something along the lines of that is "football 24-7, 365". Some kids just want a more normal college experience and stated that is why you see talented kids transfer down a level so often. He played college ball under Mike Belloti at lower division in California, and was tailback in San Diego around the same time as Marcus Allen.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how well Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, etc. enjoy giving up playing Wisconsin, Illiniois, Purdue, etc. to go play Maryland and Rutgers. It's going to be a big change for them.
I think Mich,OSU and MSU will welcome it (at least according to there boards) as MD/RU are probably a signifigant upgrade on Ill and Purdue "at least talentwise" and RU/MD's recruiting has been better than Wisky's in the last few years!I don't think anyone cares what Indiana thinks..at least in FB?I think coming to NYC/Balt/DC areas offers more than most destinations so whats not to like?

Reaction Score
Also...you have to look at how many guys playing NFL with lower stars are skill positions vs O line...

Why?

Well...extremely few O line guys, outside of the tackles, have a string of stars...

Examples:

The Rivals 2014 class rankings...there are zero 5 star Offensive Centers...and only four 4 star O Centers and six 3 stars in the entire nation. If you are the #11 Center ion the country, you are a 2 star.

There are zero five star Offensive Guards and only 12 four stars in the entire country.

And even O Tackles only have 26 5 and 4 star athletes nationally....

Reaction Score
Not to hijack the thread Upstater but Baker is a perfect example of how poorly the recruiting sites evaluate CT players as a general rule. My buddy, a coach at CCSU at the time who also worked with me third shift at the time, knew I was a UConn fan and spent all night third shift on the recruiting sites. He told me Baker was a stud, and with proper coaching and conditioning he was almost an NFL lock. He laughed at his two star rating on rivals and told me that if he was from down south schools would be all over him, and the recruiting sites would have rated much higher (he considered him a much better prospect than Damik Scafe). This was before PSU had offered and he accepted. I had a lot of recruiting conversations with him those nights. I remember how they were offering a scholarship to Matt Gomes of Naugatuck and we were offering a preferred walk on spot. There were also some kids from Md, they were recruiting that we were in on. I asked why they would even bother recruiting against FBS schools and he told me simply put, not every kid wants the pressure of FBS/BCS football. He said something along the lines of that is "football 24-7, 365". Some kids just want a more normal college experience and stated that is why you see talented kids transfer down a level so often. He played college ball under Mike Belloti at lower division in California, and was tailback in San Diego around the same time as Marcus Allen.

there are so many kids out there and not enough money to evaluate all of them. Thanks for the story. Particularly in a state like Conn., you're not going to get a lot of recruiting experts.

It's also no secret that when these talented two stars go to college, they end up in places where people have Connecticut roots (Iowa, Kirk frenetz ex. UConn player; Syracuse, Pasqualoni in R. Jackson's case; UConn where the coaches get a good look at them, etc.).

Reaction Score
Also...you have to look at how many guys playing NFL with lower stars are skill positions vs O line...

Why?

Well...extremely few O line guys, outside of the tackles, have a string of stars...

Examples:

The Rivals 2014 class rankings...there are zero 5 star Offensive Centers...and only four 4 star O Centers and six 3 stars in the entire nation. If you are the #11 Center ion the country, you are a 2 star.

There are zero five star Offensive Guards and only 12 four stars in the entire country.

And even O Tackles only have 26 5 and 4 star athletes nationally....

Good points.

In the Conn. example, 5 are linemen (though with one caveat, 3 of them came into college as light in the pants OLB/DE tweeners in Jackson, Greene and Williams). The other two, Thomas and Richard, were total unknowns who were hardly looked at and ended up at UConn and Buffalo respectively.

Reaction Score
there are so many kids out there and not enough money to evaluate all of them. Thanks for the story. Particularly in a state like Conn., you're not going to get a lot of recruiting experts.

It's also no secret that when these talented two stars go to college, they end up in places where people have Connecticut roots (Iowa, Kirk frenetz ex. UConn player; Syracuse, Pasqualoni in R. Jackson's case; UConn where the coaches get a good look at them, etc.).

FSU had a couple of DE 1st rounders this year.... Bjoern Werner from Connecticut was one. He was a three star.

No offers from Iowa, Syracuse, etc.

Reaction Score
While FSU meets most of their needs in Florida and the south, they will go NE to poach if they evaluate the talent as someone they want...

They pulled a DE out of Brooklyn for last year's class...a starting O lineman is from New Jersey, a back up O lineman is from NJ, the third string QB is from New Jersey, a TE is from NJ..

and Will Tye and Bjoern Werner who played last year were from Connecticut.

Reaction Score

It's going to be interesting to see how well FSU, Clemson, Virginia, UNC, etc. enjoy giving up playing Maryland, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech etc. to go play Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. It's going to be a big change for them.

Reaction Score
FSU had a couple of DE 1st rounders this year.... Bjoern Werner from Connecticut was one. He was a three star.

No offers from Iowa, Syracuse, etc.

I actually left out a bunch of 3 star players just because you'd assume people had seen them play more than the 2 stars. I only included 2stars and less, 4 stars and more. 3 stars are always a little iffy.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how well FSU, Clemson, Virginia, UNC, etc. enjoy giving up playing Maryland, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech etc. to go play Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. It's going to be a big change for them.

huh?

FSU and Clemson switch Maryland for Louisville.. And it's a big, big hurrah.

Maryland's miserable football team (2-19 vs the Noles) made the games yawners.

Reaction Score
FSU last H&H with Cuse was 2004 and 2005...we met the Cuse five times under Bobby and are 5-0.

Reaction Score
huh?

FSU and Clemson switch Maryland for Louisville.. And it'sa big, big hurrah. They don't lose games with anyone else.

Maryland's miserable football team (2-19 vs the Noles) made the games yawners. FSU didn't give up playing GT nor Wake, nor anyone else...

No one loses games in either situation, which is what I was trying to highlight. In fact, since the Big Ten is going to 9 conf games the Big Ten teams will meet each other more often than the ACC by design.

Reaction Score

You should have stopped after Syracuse and PITT. . .because FSU and Clemson will likely prefer playing Louisville over Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson do play Louisville in the division.

They lose the Terps and replace them with Louisville...a big gain.

Reaction Score
If I were King of CR:

I'd make ND play in a conference and have the ACC look like this..

North:

Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Louisville
Boston College
Pitt
Syracuse
UConn or WVU

South:

Miami
FSU
Clemson
GT
North Carolina
NC State
Wake
Duke

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson do play Louisville in the division.

They lose the Terps and replace them with Louisville...a big gain.

If I cherry pick like that you can say the same for the Big Ten teams, especially since the new setup will have the top cross-divisional teams more often while playing Purdue/Indiana less often. Win-win.

You either care about playing the traditional opponents or you don't - holding one conference to one standard and applying another one to yourself doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
If you dropped Indiana from the Big Ten and replaced them with Louisville...you would have a similar effect as the ACC replacing Maryland with Louisville.

Louisville, has had a great 12 months...winning the basketball NC, going to the College World Series, and now being highly ranked in football....the trick will be continuing that succes

Reaction Score
Since we're judging the new conference makeups you have include Syracuse and Pitt (and ND) into the mix when discussing the 2 conferences instead of just focusing on Louisville.

I can understand why you don't want to talk about Syracuse and Pitt though, given how horrible they look on the field right now.

Reaction Score
I really don't know much about Pitt...except that they have slow feet in the defensive backfield.

Reaction Score
As an FSU guy, how can I be excited by a team like Syracuse that is a one wood from the Canadian border?

We have no natural elements for a rivalry....might as well be playing Iowa State, Wyoming, or New Mexico.

Reaction Score

Giving up Maryland doesn't bother a soul. In fact there is tremendous buzz about playing Louisville instead. It's an upgrade in every sport except for Lacrosse. After Louisville wins a lot of games in basketball and football, I don't know how much that will last, but it's a buzz today. There is a lot of excitement about playing Notre Dame. Pitt and Syracuse are viewed as additive rather than instead of anyone. The schedule with 14 teams and 8 games will get old, but not an issue at the moment.

Reaction Score
They ain't Rutgers nor Maryland.

Honestly - they're probably all around the same level right now. Pitt and Syracuse do have better history but I'm skeptical that they'll ever get back to those heights ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom