Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Expansion Rumors site profiles UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Villanova was ambitious about moving up, they would have done so. The Villanova board of trustees has never voted one way or the other on moving up. There have been feasibility studies, and talk, but that is all, that does not make them ambitious.
So all that talk was about possibilities?Or rumors?I don't claim any inside knowledge only whats reported in the media.

Reaction Score
There's deep-seated hatred that goes back generations between people who swear by the UConn Dairy Bar and those who swear by the Penn State Creamery.

Middle East conflicts come and go, but ice cream wars are forever.

I had both and I think PSU's ice Cream has more butterfat, but on a scale of 1 to 10... PSU is 9.9999 and UConn's 9.998. Both are great!!

Reaction Score
As well as an important source of basketball talent regionally, Connecticut is also the best football recruiting ground in New England. Connecticut consistently produces more BCS players than the rest of New England combined, and more than New York State. Of course New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland are stronger still.

Moreover, UConn does better on TV than BC due to its larger alumni base and non-alumni state fans. Also, BC is hemmed in and has no room for expansion, so it is stuck with rather mediocre facilities, while UConn can grow significantly.

BC, in other words, has peaked in value, while UConn lots of room to grow.

I think Massachusetts is stronger in HS Football. I think we are second in New England (Which is the weakest region for HS Sports. CT High schools do not travel...)

Reaction Score
I think Massachusetts is stronger in HS Football. I think we are second in New England (Which is the weakest region for HS Sports. CT High schools do not travel...)
Trouble is too many Conn kids if their special in FB go to private or parochial powers out of state like Steele Devito SS/LB of BC who I believe went to NJ's DonBosco or Bergen Catholic to get better exposure and play against "supposedly" better competition (in North Jersey parochial league its a fact)!I believe he was a Star Ledger NJ 2nd team all-state I believe?

Reaction Score
I had both and I think PSU's ice Cream has more butterfat, but on a scale of 1 to 10... PSU is 9.9999 and UConn's 9.998. Both are great!!

I would like to volunteer to referee that match. I foresee extensive use to re-tasting to get to the bottom of making the right call.

Reaction Score
Trouble is too many Conn kids if their special in FB go to private or parochial powers out of state like Steele Devito SS/LB of BC who I believe went to NJ's DonBosco or Bergen Catholic to get better exposure and play against "supposedly" better competition (in North Jersey parochial league its a fact)!I believe he was a Star Ledger NJ 2nd team all-state I believe?

The Big 4 in Catholic HS football in NNJ went 3 & 1 against out-of state competition this week with Paramus Catholic (NJ #1, National #4) blanking out Gilman (Maryland #3) 28 to 0, Don Bosco (#2 NJ) blowing out St. Joseph Prep (PA #2) 42 to 0, and St, Joseph’s of Montvale beat DeMartha (Maryland #4, National #14) easily 42 to 14 while Bergen Catholic (NJ #4) lost 24 to 13 at John Curtis (Louisiana #1, National #2).
That is why CT (and Mass) HS football stars transfer to Preps while NJ and NYC metro football stars go to NNJ.

Reaction Score
The Big 4 in Catholic HS football in NNJ went 3 & 1 against out-of state competition this week with Paramus Catholic (NJ #1, National #4) blanking out Gilman (Maryland #3) 28 to 0, Don Bosco (#2 NJ) blowing out St. Joseph Prep (PA #2) 42 to 0, and St, Joseph’s of Montvale beat DeMartha (Maryland #4, National #14) easily 42 to 14 while Bergen Catholic (NJ #4) lost 24 to 13 at John Curtis (Louisiana #1, National #2).
That is why CT (and Mass) HS football stars transfer to Preps while NJ and NYC metro football stars go to NNJ.
We in Connecticut should make a concerted effort to attract qualified academically NYC underprivelged but talented as live-in guests in W.Conn and maybe Boston area same to E.Conn as sort of "exchange student/goodwill" gesture?Is it ethical/legal?I know the public schools in NJ frown on that "recruiting" in HS and puts privates/parochials at a distinct advantage. @Mr.Conehead,I see most of my answer was already in your last line?I should have read it closer!

Reaction Score
Don Bosco pulls in kids from the inner cities in NY (Paterson especially and a few from Newark), plus a few from NYC, and a lot from the Hudson Valley of NY. Bosco runs a school bus in the morning and afternoon from the local train station that I use to get to work, so I see them every day. Can’t speak for the other 3 (Bergen Catholic, St Joe’s, Paramus Catholic); but, they are farther away from the train stations.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is true. UConn, BC, and Syracuse for that matter would generate a great rivalry. I could even have an Ice Hockey element to it. BC would have to pick it up a notch in basketball, but that is not outside the realm of possibility. Right now BC is sitting as Virginia Tech's designated rival in football. No Hokie that I know, and I know more than I care to, thinks of BC as their rival school in football. In fact if you go on their conference realignment board many of them want West Virginia. They view West Virginia as their second rival after UVA. Pittsburgh might even like that too. West Virginia isn't available though.

But back to Boston College, the reasoning they give for not wanting Connecticut is short sighted and a foreign concept for those of us that are of a competitive nature. It would boost interest in college sports in New England, and it would be good for student athletes. It would also help out the ACC.

Now the Southern members of the ACC would want something in return for inviting UConn. They don't like travelling north as much as they do now. Plus the fans of the northern schools don't travel to games at their place much either. So the ACC would have to rework the divisions. With 16 we would have to anyway.

You're correct that it's short sighted and something folks from other parts of the country wouldn't understand. That's because it's classic small-time, parochial New England thinking. BS College doesn't see much beyond it's own little backyard, and it has quite a lot of competition locally in its best sport, hockey. It's also seeing local competition from schools such as Harvard lately in BB, as the Beagles have declined precipitously and Harvard has ascended. They think the only way to remain relevant, even in their own home market, is to torpedo anybody they perceive as a threat to their local market share. UCONN represents their biggest threat in that regard.

As for football, the Beagles have been a DI school forever, but still haven't made it to a BCS bowl. UCONN has been DI only since 2002, and has already been to a BCS bowl. That's what scares the pants off Father Lie-hy and the rest of the Beagle administration. If they get permanently overshadowed by UCONN in football, they feel they're done in New England, even in their own local market. They'll do anything they can to keep that from happening. Getting beat in football by Clemson, FSU, UNC and Maryland doesn't phase them. Getting beat by UCONN in football would be an unmitigated disaster as far as they're concerned, and they know it would just be a question of time before they become second fiddle to another New England DI football program.

Reaction Score
You're correct that it's short sighted and something folks from other parts of the country wouldn't understand. That's because it's classic small-time, parochial New England thinking. BS College doesn't see much beyond it's own little backyard, and it has quite a lot of competition locally in its best sport, hockey. It's also seeing local competition from schools such as Harvard lately in BB, as the Beagles have declined precipitously and Harvard has ascended. They think the only way to remain relevant, even in their own home market, is to torpedo anybody they perceive as a threat to their local market share. UCONN represents their biggest threat in that regard.

As for football, the Beagles have been a DI school forever, but still haven't made it to a BCS bowl. UCONN has been DI only since 2002, and has already been to a BCS bowl. That's what scares the pants off Father Lie-hy and the rest of the Beagle administration. If they get permanently overshadowed by UCONN in football, they feel they're done in New England, even in their own local market. They'll do anything they can to keep that from happening. Getting beat in football by Clemson, FSU, UNC and Maryland doesn't phase them. Getting beat by UCONN in football would be an unmitigated disaster as far as they're concerned, and they know it would just be a question of time before they become second fiddle to another New England DI football program.

We've gone over this. BC is confortable playing BU in everything, so what's wrong with UConn. To me, Nothing. Hopefully that last effort to exclude UConn is over. I think UConn is the best choice. I think UConn offers a good rival to BC not only in football and basketball, but in other sports. It's also a good rivalry in a league geographically dispersed. BC and Clemson are not going to be rivals, I'm sorry, as much as they want to. It will not happen.

I think Virginia can develop a rivalry with UConn. But we are much closer geographically.

Reaction Score
We never beat BC in football in 10+ tries and they are scared of us.

Reaction Score
Personally and selfishly, I would like to see another southern program added to the ACC before going further into the north east. And then North-South divisions.

Since FSU joined the ACC, the conference has added Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville (all to the north of Kentucky proper).....and FSU travels to three of the four in the division.

While there are sparse pickings, maybe something like UCF (sagarin currently has higher than Mizzou, UNC, and Michigan State).

Reaction Score
We never beat BC in football in 10+ tries and they are scared of us.

UConn played them twice and lost after moving up. Wouldn't this be like touting all-time winning %s over Notre Dame and South Carolina as being somehow significant? Some of the losses to BC happened the week after UConn played (and lost) to New Britain High School. How much stock can we really put in that?

And, we're not the ones that came up with this "scared of UConn" story. Bob Ryan quoted people in the BC AD's office to that effect.

Reaction Score
Bob Ryan? Didn't think anybody in Boston even cared about college football, not with hockey only weeks away.

Reaction Score
Don Bosco pulls in kids from the inner cities in NY (Paterson especially and a few from Newark), plus a few from NYC, and a lot from the Hudson Valley of NY. Bosco runs a school bus in the morning and afternoon from the local train station that I use to get to work, so I see them every day. Can’t speak for the other 3 (Bergen Catholic, St Joe’s, Paramus Catholic); but, they are farther away from the train stations.

For those who are interested, this write-up in the local paper here in NNJ really sums-up the progression of (catholic) high school football around here. I also like that even at the HS level, the 4 big schools root for each other overall as they recognize that the combined success of each program will only lead to bigger and better things for everyone. BC should take note.

http://www.northjersey.com/columnis...rominence_growing_in_our_Garden.html?page=all

Reaction Score
FSU pulled DE Bjorn Werner out of the Salisbury School in Connecticut...the kid had a good career and went in the 1st round.

Reaction Score
UConn played them twice and lost after moving up. Wouldn't this be like touting all-time winning %s over Notre Dame and South Carolina as being somehow significant? Some of the losses to BC happened the week after UConn played (and lost) to New Britain High School. How much stock can we really put in that?

And, we're not the ones that came up with this "scared of UConn" story. Bob Ryan quoted people in the BC AD's office to that effect.
Our first game against them was in 1908. We stated playing colleges only in 1915; had an Ivy League school in our schedule that year. That's 10+ games between 1908 and 2004, with the easy majority being after 1914.

Reaction Score
Personally and selfishly, I would like to see another southern program added to the ACC before going further into the north east. And then North-South divisions.

Since FSU joined the ACC, the conference has added Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville (all to the north of Kentucky proper).....and FSU travels to three of the four in the division.

While there are sparse pickings, maybe something like UCF (sagarin currently has higher than Mizzou, UNC, and Michigan State).
A school in the south I respect and sympathize with in a "tight" market is ECU as I think we both mentioned?I love a loyal,dedicated fanbase! Of course until UConn gets in a B1G5 conference invite I won't be happy! Also I like USF ahead of UCF(altho they fit in the discussion) as they've grown alot since joining the BE!

Reaction Score

Bob Ryan may or may not have been right but I think of him as a dinosaur!And I think hes not much older than me?If at all?I'm 62 in November!But looking at him he's got to be 70?I don't care about his age though just his 1960s/70s thinking!

Reaction Score
Bob Ryan may or may not have been right but I think of him as a dinosaur!And I think hes not much older than me?If at all?I'm 62 in November!But looking at him he's got to be 70?I don't care about his age though just his 1960s/70s thinking!

Had nothing to do with his thinking. He quoted someone. It wouldn't matter if Ryan were 12 or 112. The quote would have been the same.

Reaction Score
A school in the south I respect and sympathize with in a "tight" market is ECU as I think we both mentioned?I love a loyal,dedicated fanbase! Of course until UConn gets in a B1G5 conference invite I won't be happy! Also I like USF ahead of UCF(altho they fit in the discussion) as they've grown alot since joining the BE!

I also like ECU...but the ACC already has too many programs bunched together in North Carolina and needs some dispersement....there are already six programs either in North Carolina or within 100 miles of the North Carolina border.

USF is a little ahead of UCF in development (but maybe not this year)....but either program has potential. More so, maybe, than Troy or UAB.

Reaction Score
Had nothing to do with his thinking. He quoted someone. It wouldn't matter if Ryan were 12 or 112. The quote would have been the same.
Pardon my early onset symptons of dementia Ha Ha!I just had to add my opinion of Ryan!!Can't stand his arrogance.

Reaction Score

Somewhere in one of these threads we talked about changing the divisions and adding one northern program, UConn, and a southern program, possibly South Florida. That would be good. Other Southern options could be UCF, UAB, Southern Mississippi or Tulane. The USF vs UCF question is interesting. The seem the same from an outsider's view. The Big East picked USF first in 2003 for some reason. It isn't apparent. I don't know if Tampa is that much better than Orlando or vice versa.

Reaction Score
If you ACC fans aspire to add schools like UAB and Southern Mississippi (and Temple), screw the ACC. B1G or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom