Exhibition games, Oct. 28 - Nov. 4 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Exhibition games, Oct. 28 - Nov. 4

Reaction Score
SC starting lineup tonight was Ty Harris, D. Henderson, Zia Cooke, Herbert--Harrigan, Boston.

2nd half lineup had Beal in place of Henderson.

Cooke possibly earning a starting spot is a mild upset for me, but they tweeted a highlight of her getting in the air to ball hawk a few days ago and I thought it was possible.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
One thing I can say about Zia Cooke, she is not shy on the court at all... I’ve never seen a freshman look so comfortable on the court in their first college game. She will probably be a double digit scorer every night for the gamecocks in her first year, she’s electric...

Reaction Score
Going to watch OKCU exhibition against A&M tonight. One thing I noticed about the box score vs Arkansas is that the Stars outrebounded the Hogs 33-32.

Rough shooting night for A&M outside of Ciera Johnson and Chennedy Carter

Reaction Score
Oregon State destroys Concordia 106-45 as Pivec has her "guns" blazing with plenty of "muscle" on display garnering a triple double! (14 points, 15 rebounds, 10 assists).

OK...yeah I know it was just an exhibition game against a bad team. The next team OSU plays will be "slightly" better. However, I'm expecting a "repeat" performance on Monday night :) The game will be against Team USA at 7 pm Pacific time (10 pm Eastern) on the Pac-12 Network!

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
OK...yeah I know it was just an exhibition game against a bad team. However, I'm expecting a "repeat" performance by the team on Monday night :) The game will be against Team USA at 7 pm Pacific time (10 pm Eastern) on the Pac-12 Network!
Repeat of what? If the score is anywhere near 106-45, it won't be Oregon State on the winning end.

Reaction Score
Rough shooting night for A&M outside of Ciera Johnson and Chennedy Carter
I was waiting for the box score to post after getting back from the game to see how the stats fit with my impressions. The rough shooting for everyone be Johnson and Carter is an understatement. The offense was bad but once A&M had the lead it seemed like Blair's priority was to work on things for other players. Johnson and Carter were 10-15 and 8-15 from the field, respectively, and I didn't feel like they were forcing anything. By contrast, Kayla Wells struggled. 2-7 with 4 turnovers, mostly on penetrating and not passing back out before getting trapped.

N'dea Jones has been nursing a hamstring injury, which is why most of the minutes at the 4 went to Cheah Real-Whitsett, who grabbed 11 boards and forced a bunch of turnovers. Cheah is shy about shooting so while she was a perfect 2-2 from the floor, she passed up lots of opportunities. Jones still ended up with 8 rebounds but her offense was wild in the first half.

An example of the bad shooting reflecting Blair's priorities is in how new backup post Anna Dreimane was used. Anna hadn't played in two years as the NCAA didn't grant a waiver last year even though she hadn't played during her soph year at Colorado State. Anna played 13 minutes and when she was in, it seemed like the game plan was to feed her in the paint where she would get an open look and shoot a brick. Only a layup on a perfect feed got her to 1-8 from the field. In most games that count.

Everyone on the roster played double digit minutes. Defense led to a 30 point win; OCU had 6 and 8 points in the 3rd and 4th quarters. But the fans left thinking that the Ags will need to step up a lot to justify the preseason hype.

Reaction Score
Going to watch OKCU exhibition against A&M tonight. One thing I noticed about the box score vs Arkansas is that the Stars outrebounded the Hogs 33-32.

The Stars have some big girls. The Hogs ... not so much. Arkansas has a bit more size than last year, but I don’t see them out-rebounding too many SEC teams this year. I think they are trying to get out-rebounded by a smaller margin.

Reaction Score
I was waiting for the box score to post after getting back from the game to see how the stats fit with my impressions. The rough shooting for everyone be Johnson and Carter is an understatement. The offense was bad but once A&M had the lead it seemed like Blair's priority was to work on things for other players. Johnson and Carter were 10-15 and 8-15 from the field, respectively, and I didn't feel like they were forcing anything. By contrast, Kayla Wells struggled. 2-7 with 4 turnovers, mostly on penetrating and not passing back out before getting trapped.

N'dea Jones has been nursing a hamstring injury, which is why most of the minutes at the 4 went to Cheah Real-Whitsett, who grabbed 11 boards and forced a bunch of turnovers. Cheah is shy about shooting so while she was a perfect 2-2 from the floor, she passed up lots of opportunities. Jones still ended up with 8 rebounds but her offense was wild in the first half.

An example of the bad shooting reflecting Blair's priorities is in how new backup post Anna Dreimane was used. Anna hadn't played in two years as the NCAA didn't grant a waiver last year even though she hadn't played during her soph year at Colorado State. Anna played 13 minutes and when she was in, it seemed like the game plan was to feed her in the paint where she would get an open look and shoot a brick. Only a layup on a perfect feed got her to 1-8 from the field. In most games that count.

Everyone on the roster played double digit minutes. Defense led to a 30 point win; OCU had 6 and 8 points in the 3rd and 4th quarters. But the fans left thinking that the Ags will need to step up a lot to justify the preseason hype.

I just love Gary. Texas A&M will make a deep run, because they have the talent, and, they have a great coach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Stars have some big girls. The Hogs ... not so much. Arkansas has a bit more size than last year, but I don’t see them out-rebounding too many SEC teams this year. I think they are trying to get out-rebounded by a smaller margin.
I think their lack of size and post play will hurt them. They'll get some wins over good teams but also lose to some bad ones.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The mighty ACC, ladies and gentlemen.

Actually Lander is #21 in the D2 preseason poll.... so its not like they lost to a pushover :confused:

Anderson (who State beat) is ranked #13..... North Georgia (who Little Carolina beat) is #23. The Mighty Seawolves of UAA are preseason #16.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Its weird with the new NCAA schedule to have a exhibition game on a Sunday... and first game on a Tuesday. This was the third straight year that Alaska-Anchorage came to Durham. I listed to the GNAC podcast interview with the UAA coach a few daysa ago... they certainly had a full week...... throttled a NAIA squad...... scrimmaged against the Seahawks of UNC-W and yesterday's beatdown by Duke. Hard to get a feel for the interior players of Duke...as UAA had one player who stood 6'0.... the rest of their team was 5'10 and under. Gorecki shot well from downtown... and Odom played aggressively on the offensive side. Lambert and Boykin were both still in sweats...... no idea when they will be cleared to return.

I'll take you for doughnuts after the game!

They have late night doughnut shops in Columbia? :eek:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Its weird with the new NCAA schedule to have a exhibition game on a Sunday... and first game on a Tuesday. This was the third straight year that Alaska-Anchorage came to Durham. I listed to the GNAC podcast interview with the UAA coach a few daysa ago... they certainly had a full week...... throttled a NAIA squad...... scrimmaged against the Seahawks of UNC-W and yesterday's beatdown by Duke. Hard to get a feel for the interior players of Duke...as UAA had one player who stood 6'0.... the rest of their team was 5'10 and under. Gorecki shot well from downtown... and Odom played aggressively on the offensive side. Lambert and Boykin were both still in sweats...... no idea when they will be cleared to return.

They have late night doughnut shops in Columbia? :eek:

Krispy Kreme is 24 hours, but the locally owned ones are not. Don't we usually play Duke on a Sunday afternoon, though?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Krispy Kreme is 24 hours, but the locally owned ones are not. Don't we usually play Duke on a Sunday afternoon, though?

Usually, but this years game is the Thursday before Christmas at 7pm. First game after Exam break, last game before Christmas break.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Usually, but this years game is the Thursday before Christmas at 7pm. First game after Exam break, last game before Christmas break.
I see; well, unless you're retired, you'd probably have to take some vacation time. Luckily, I get 26 days + 11 holidays, so I can get to pretty much any game within reason.

Reaction Score
I think their lack of size and post play will hurt them. They'll get some wins over good teams but also lose to some bad ones.

I agree. At some point, the 3s won't fall, and what do you fall back on at that point? Their system is not designed to win consistently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom