Exhibition games, Oct. 28 - Nov. 4 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Exhibition games, Oct. 28 - Nov. 4

Reaction Score
I would hope she can... She has a dramatic size advantage.
Every post looks like a superstar vs. D2
teams. Liv did, Taylor Jones did, Jessika Carter does.

Fans forget they’re 6+ inches than their opponents. I’d hope they can put up 20+.

Reaction Score
Let's hope these commentators don't work any of the actual games. They're not good.

One of them does our baseball games. The other one is the radio announcer.

Reaction Score
Wasn't P. Taylor playing the scrimmage game ?
She did. However she has yet to play tonight. I haven’t heard anything regarding injuries or illness so it may simply be that Coach Schaefer is working the other posts.

Reaction Score
Better put some respect on the name of Lubbock Christian. (And looks like I'll be adjusting my ranking of MSU on the next ballot.)

I'm sure the dogs will open up a lead in the 2nd half.

Let's hope these commentators don't work any of the actual games. They're not good.
Win by 50, 10 or 1 or lose by any of those margins I’d put little stock in this game as MSU is mixing and matching a lot with the newcomers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
MSU is fortunate that LC came out chilly in 3Q. They could easily be losing with all the open looks they're giving up.

Reaction Score
MSU is fortunate that LC came out chilly in 3Q. They could easily be losing with all the open looks they're giving up.
That’s not correct. When they adjusted and put in X Wiggins her height advantage and athleticism gave them the ability to switch her, Bibby and Jackson on defense. They also sped up LC into taking some quick shots.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sadly, this will literally be MSU's toughest game until a potential matchup vs. Stanford on Nov. 30 in the Victoria BC tournament.

Reaction Score
Surprised by the lack of playing time for some of the bench in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
As bad as State’s defense has been, somehow Lubbock will likely have scored more on Baylor and Texas. I think Lubbock caught them off guard. State wears you down.

With that said LOTS to work on.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, Jessika Carter’s performance makes me worry about Charli Collier. Collier was soooo bad against them.

Reaction Score
It was difficult to take away too much from the game as there was a lot of mix and matching going on. I’m sure the lineup will tighten as the season progresses.
The Bad:
Neither J Danberry or M Taylor even attempted a 3 pointer as neither has much range outside of 15 feet. That is going to cause big issues as teams will simply pack the lane.
J Danberry got posted up too much. Her best season was two years ago when she could come off the bench for a defensive spark on the opposing point. Bigger guards are going to hurt her in the lane.
MSU shot 50% from the free throw line.
The transition defense needs a lot of work.
MSU is not starting well out of the gate.
Despite 27 from J Carter, post play still has a long way to go.
The Good:
M Taylor had 8 assists and 0 TOs.
C Bibby has not only healed but looked better than last year.
P Taylor played (although she has a long way to go).
C Bibby, R Jackson, and X Wiggins playing together will give other teams fits with their length and ability to guard multiple positions.

Overall I was happy the returning players stepped up. I was concerned that if the freshmen as a group were the better option it was going to cause some issues.

Reaction Score
It was difficult to take away too much from the game as there was a lot of mix and matching going on. I’m sure the lineup will tighten as the season progresses.
The Bad:
Neither J Danberry or M Taylor even attempted a 3 pointer as neither has much range outside of 15 feet. That is going to cause big issues as teams will simply pack the lane.
J Danberry got posted up too much. Her best season was two years ago when she could come off the bench for a defensive spark on the opposing point. Bigger guards are going to hurt her in the lane.
MSU shot 50% from the free throw line.
The transition defense needs a lot of work.
MSU is not starting well out of the gate.
Despite 27 from J Carter, post play still has a long way to go.
The Good:
M Taylor had 8 assists and 0 TOs.
C Bibby has not only healed but looked better than last year.
P Taylor played (although she has a long way to go).
C Bibby, R Jackson, and X Wiggins playing together will give other teams fits with their length and ability to guard multiple positions.

Overall I was happy the returning players stepped up. I was concerned that if the freshmen as a group were the better option it was going to cause some issues.
My take, we finally looked like a team on defense but I did not see the plays MSST normally run on offense. We are very athletic but have a long way to go before we can be an elite team, hopefully Vic can get us there. Promise Taylor looked totally out of shape, she was slow and still got winded. Not sure who will be the starting 5 because Vic was obviously trying to find team chemistry. Optimistic but realize we have a long way to go before we approach our teams for last 3 years.

Reaction Score
As bad as State’s defense has been, somehow Lubbock will likely have scored more on Baylor and Texas. I think Lubbock caught them off guard. State wears you down.

With that said LOTS to work on.
Ahem*With Egbo and Smith. Baylor defense becomes way more quicker*

Lol back to minding my own business. LSU plays tomorrow

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Watching his team play LC had to be a tough watch for Vic. The team looked slow, athletic in only a few areas, with poor shooters. They were constantly beaten off the dribble, especially their guards, with their size up front saving them from a layup drill all game. They were continually beaten on stretch passes off the defensive rebound. They were slow to cover the arc. Their passing in the quarter court was average at best. In the first half AEH's shooting from the arc saved them from going into the locker room behind. I kept wondering why Vic even bothered to play 4 out against this undersized team. Then I took note of their entry passes. Yikes. MSST won because their depth and height wore LC down. Bibby looks like a player, and she constantly made good decisions. Jackson looks athletic and energetic, and she showed it with tons of wasted energy and bad decisions. Vic has his work cut out for him. They'll be a better team come January, but not much better come SEC tourney time. Cooks can make a big difference with this team, so we'll see.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Every Mississippi State game (even irrelevant ones) gets 5 times more talk than most other top 10/15 teams.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
So I finally watched it. This is my impression....

Rickea was definitely off. But like everyone says, it's definitely not going to be a regular thing. Score would've looked more like Baylor's win over Lubbock Christian if Rickea just had a "good" game.

Danberry is definitely not one of the hardest players on our team to work around and go one-on-one with. She's good with the ball, and can force turnovers. But as for being a nose-to-nose defender... nah. It looked like they were taking her easily into the lane at times. I think Wiggins' defense was better in this game at least. She was absolutely in the face of LC in the 2nd half. Still, for Jordan's offense which can go 20-24 points per night sometimes, she's essential.

Wiggins really impressed me. She missed her shots, but her athleticism and fluidity was the turning point in the game. She was really frustrating Lubbock meeting them before halfcourt for most of the duration of the 2nd half.

Myah.... pretty good. Played the press well, and seemed to do some of the things that orchestrated our turnaround in the 3rd quarter. Looked like she was quick to her spot and played with Wiggins really well doing some of the same things together. Though based on this game, it did look like Matharu is right behind her and if needed can be our point guard.

Matharu... yeah enough said. I can see why she's a top 30 player. Her athleticism and her hands are as good as Danberry's. She can also score from an off position, that's what I saw with her two layups that were made under contact.

Dra Hunter.... shooting those 3s as always, but I also think she made a few non-shooting plays and went in for some contested balls today and got on the winning side of those.

Jessika Carter.... hope she can keep this up. Hope she doesn't go back to 6 points per night next game. We'll win the SEC if Carter maintains half of what she showed tonight.

Bibby... awesome. Made blocks under the threat of opposing offense and didn't look like she was beat even once tonight. I know it's Lubbock Christian and she's simply bigger and stronger than those players that attempted to go at her, but I think she did everything well tonight. 6 for 9 three point shooting by our splash sisters. Everyone else was 1 for 11.

Hemingway, Promise, Young, and Morris.... hmmmm. They didn't do much, but I'm sure they'll have their good games. Combined 0 for 11 from the field. But....good thing with our depth is that we can afford half of players not be so good in some of their games and still win.

I will say based on the Stanford vs USA game, Stanford is a better team than us right now. The standouts in that game to me were Carrington, Williams, and the Hull twins. Like us, they have great depth and next game they could have new MVPs. Greatly anticipating that game...almost can't wait. Expecting a 93-85 type barn burner with 3-point shots flying. So we definitely need to get our 3-point shot going apart from just Bibby and Dra.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After what I saw last night, I don't think I want any piece of Stanford right now. We looked like a discombobulated mess for much of the game. It was hard to watch at times if I'm being honest.

Reaction Score

Maryland is playing a 4 guard system (if you consider Charles a guard) against Wagner and isn’t starting Austin. :confused: I wonder if it’s just a matchup thing or if Austin has really been demoted to the bench for the whole season.

If I worked hard to improve over the summer and got rewarded with a bench spot, I’d give serious consideration to putting my name into that transfer portal. Gotta figure out what’s really going on here.

A lot of big time players on Marylands roster. Not sure how Brenda will keep everyone happy. I love Marylands freshmen class. Excited to watch them this year.

Reaction Score

mikesell has some range

Owusu has 12 points 7 assists in the first half

Reaction Score
After what I saw last night, I don't think I want any piece of Stanford right now. We looked like a discombobulated mess for much of the game. It was hard to watch at times if I'm being honest.
Yes, especially early. We got better as the game progressed but team chemistry was not there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom