ESPN on Precious Achiuwa | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN on Precious Achiuwa

Reaction Score
Hell yes it does. Wasn't saying other-wise.
Well I guess we landed one of our big men targets in Akok but miss on all the rest is still a little disappointing even though Hurley still needs time to build his own team before we say that there is no hope.

Reaction Score
More importantly, you need to land them. There are so few, and the stakes so high at that point in the game, it's tough sledding.
It's tough, but I just think a lot of people just lump all JUCOs together when there's a big difference between recruiting Eric Cobb vs the top guys in his JUCO class (Shakur Juiston, DaQuan Jeffries, Kyvon Davenport, Jeremy Harris, Bruce Stevens and DeQuon Lake were all top 10 and would all start for us right now).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don't want a JUCO either, but let's not act like they're all the same. Cobb was like the 50th ranked JUCO in his year. There are solid ones out there, but you need to scout well to find them.
If we miss on Wahab, which is looking likely, I think Hurley takes a shot at Carrigan. He’s shown willingness to take risks in the past, coaching hires for example. He made a comment about possibly going the JUCO route and Carrigan just makes the most sense when you look at who’s available and what our needs are(defense).

Reaction Score
If we miss on Wahab, which is looking likely, I think Hurley takes a shot at Carrigan. He’s shown willingness to take risks in the past, coaching hires for example. He made a comment about possibly going the JUCO route and Carrigan just makes the most sense when you look at who’s available.
Doesn't seem like anyone is recruiting him. His offensive numbers are really bad too. Low scoring on below average FG%. He's really thin too. Don't see him as a solution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't either - it's probably going to be grad transfer or bust.

Reaction Score
We'll have enough returning minutes consistency that a grad transfer big should be fine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If we miss on Wahab, which is looking likely, I think Hurley takes a shot at Carrigan. He’s shown willingness to take risks in the past, coaching hires for example. He made a comment about possibly going the JUCO route and Carrigan just makes the most sense when you look at who’s available and what our needs are(defense).

Building culture's too important right now. It's still in its fledgling stages. Bringing a known problem into the mix is not a great idea.

If we had an established system with Sr/Jr leaders that had come up through Hurley's program, fine, culture might be strong enough to absorb it. But I don't want a kid like Carrigan hanging out with somebody like Sid and poisoning the well.

Reaction Score
Uh-oh! This is starting to feel like the last 2 years when we have go the JUCO/Grad Transfer route to fill in roster holes. I hope Hurley can be more successful as he will have the whole off-season to work on this.
It has the sense of all the eggs In One basket but harder. Plan a. B c. D. E. Juco.

Reaction Score
Uh-oh! This is starting to feel like the last 2 years when we have go the JUCO/Grad Transfer route to fill in roster holes. I hope Hurley can be more successful as he will have the whole off-season to work on this.
If it gets to the off season it will be a juco or grad transfer. The remaining high school seniors will sign in the spring period with very rare exception.

With the level of offers he has, I am a little puzzled as to why Mitchell may stay on for a post grad year. He could be a late wild card.

Reaction Score
If it gets to the off season it will be a juco or grad transfer. The remaining high school seniors will sign in the spring period with very rare exception.

With the level of offers he has, I am a little puzzled as to why Mitchell may stay on for a post grad year. He could be a late wild card.

I'm only guessing but the best available Juco's have more than likely already made their decisions so I am hoping for a grad transfer or 2 rather. And it doesn't have to be a "true 5" just big men, 4's who can rebound on both ends, play some interior D as well as maybe score just a little. Will be interesting rounding out the roster for this staff.

Reaction Score
I totally understand that but it still feels bad to miss on all of our big men targets this year. I guess technically our starting lineup right now is C- Jr. Josh Carlton, PF- Fr. Akok Akok, SF-Fr. James Bouknight/RSSO. Sid Wilson, PG- RSJR. Alterique Gilbert and SG- SR. Christian Vital. We have some guard depth on the bench but nothing upfront on the bench besides Polley, Wilson, Diarra and Whaley. Not sure we can count on them for much help. I hope Akok with some added strength can solidify our PF position from the start as we are going to need him to produce next year.
At this time next year the media will be falling all over themselves about Carlton being the most improved player in the country and we'll be ranked #10 in the country or there abouts. If Precious wants to be a part of it so much the better.

Reaction Score
At this time next year the media will be falling all over themselves about Carlton being the most improved player in the country and we'll be ranked #10 in the country or there abouts. If Precious wants to be a part of it so much the better.
From your lips to God's ears.

You have a ton more faith in Carlton than I do and I think the new core is a bit young for top ten even if Precious commits but you go with the optimism Rob.

Reaction Score
From your lips to God's ears.

You have a ton more faith in Carlton than I do and I think the new core is a bit young for top ten even if Precious commits but you go with the optimism Rob.
If you don't see all the pieces coming together then I can't help you. Lol. Mark it down though.

Reaction Score
Fans have the luxury of calling for immediate fixes, consequences be damned. Staffs who are invested in actually turning around the thing know they have to take a slightly longer view. In some respects, they are looking at the ‘19 and ‘20 classes in combination.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fans have the luxury of calling for immediate fixes, consequences be damned. Staffs who are invested in actually turning around the thing know they have to take a slightly longer view. In some respects, they are looking at the ‘19 and ‘20 classes in combination.

His first real class through will be '19. And even that was gotten with one hand tied behind his back. When they are Jrs, we'll see what he's really made of. That's 4 years into his tenure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At this time next year the media will be falling all over themselves about Carlton being the most improved player in the country

Wow. I see the potential for Carlton to improve in the off season, and have said so in a lot of threads, but that's optimistic even for me. Hope you are right Rob.

Reaction Score
I really want an athletic 7 footer with shot blocking ability (someone who can box out would be nice too) . I miss being the tallest team on the court. If we got a 7 footer, combined with Akok, polley/Wilson, vital/bouknight/b adams, we’d have some serious height that most teams (especially AAC teams) would have trouble matching up with.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I really want an athletic 7 footer with shot blocking ability (someone who can box out would be nice too) . I miss being the tallest team on the court. If we got a 7 footer, combined with Akok, polley/Wilson, vital/bouknight/b adams, we’d have some serious height that most teams (especially AAC teams) would have trouble matching up with.

How many athletic 7 footers with shot-blocking ability and good boxout technique are still on the market? Hell, how many of those are there on the whole in any given year?

Reaction Score

Guys like this are 5*s on potential alone much of the time. We have to be more selective about specific skills that match play style right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom