ESPN on Precious Achiuwa | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN on Precious Achiuwa

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Just named as a McD's AA
Great for him but that may make the recruitment road a bit bumpier but in reality he was probably already considered to be that designation.
Especially with all three of the McD East coaches from Kansas

Reaction Score
Kansas seems to be really pursing Matthew Hurt. They also have Marcus Garrett and Quinton Grimes returning more then likely. I think UNC is the real threat. Unless Precious is fine with fighting for PT.

Reaction Score
Now that Zionn has confirmed, any hopes I have left for Precious are gone. But man, it will pain me to see him go to Kansas, UNC, or St. John’s. Bill Self is a proven cheater. Roy Williams let academic fraud slip for the longest time and went unpunished. St. John’s wouldn’t help Sid get a waiver to play last year and then they get one for Mustapha Heron this year.

Reaction Score
Hopefully! I think Carlton as a junior would be better than Wahab as a freshman. So if passing on Wahab means targeting precious, then going after a big man for 2020, sounds good to me!
So you’re ok with one 5 on the roster unless we get a grad transfer or 2. I doubt Wahab is coming here but need another 5 we can develop.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
So you’re ok with one 5 on the roster unless we get a grad transfer or 2. I doubt Wahab is coming here but need another 5 we can develop.
Absolutely agree with you. After Carlton we don't have a 5.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree with you. After Carlton we don't have a 5.
The frontcourt in general has zero depth.

- Polley has reached double digit points in 4 of 19 games.
- Cobb has reached double digits in 3 or 19 games
- Wilson and Yakwe haven't reached double digits.

So basically, either Carlton has a great game, or we may not get more than 10 points from our entire frontcourt. He hasn't been consistent, but I think the real problem is that we don't have anyone other than him that is a threat to have a big scoring night at the 4 or 5.

If Diarra is merely an average player, it will still be a big boost to the frontcourt in its current state IMO. But we need a new big who will be ready to contribute next year. IMO it has to be a transfer, but we'll see what the staff can do.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Now that Zionn has confirmed, any hopes I have left for Precious are gone. But man, it will pain me to see him go to Kansas, UNC, or St. John’s. Bill Self is a proven cheater. Roy Williams let academic fraud slip for the longest time and went unpunished. St. John’s wouldn’t help Sid get a waiver to play last year and then they get one for Mustapha Heron this year.
When can we stop acting like we are a squeaky clean program?

Everyone's dirty, more or less.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The frontcourt in general has zero depth.

- Polley has reached double digit points in 4 of 19 games.
- Cobb has reached double digits in 3 or 19 games
- Wilson and Yakwe haven't reached double digits.

So basically, either Carlton has a great game, or we may not get more than 10 points from our entire frontcourt. He hasn't been consistent, but I think the real problem is that we don't have anyone other than him that is a threat to have a big scoring night at the 4 or 5.

If Diarra is merely an average player, it will still be a big boost to the frontcourt in its current state IMO.
We don't talk about Mama much but that may be because we may not ever see much of him. His chronic knee problem may preclude him from significant time on the court if at all. I think he will be held out for the remainder of this year and we will see how he progresses in the off season and into next year

Reaction Score
We don't talk about Mama much but that may be because we may not ever see much of him. His chronic knee problem may preclude him from significant time on the court if at all. I think he will be held out for the remainder of this year and we will see how he progresses in the off season and into next year
You actually may see him tomorrow night.

But honestly at this point, you can't rely on him to even stay healthy, let alone produce. So I think as far as planning goes you have to assume you won't get anything from him next year.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You actually may see him tomorrow night.

But honestly at this point, you can't rely on him to even stay healthy, let alone produce. So I think as far as planning goes you have to assume you won't get anything from him next year.
That would be wonderful!!

Reaction Score
I think our priority should be at the 5 spot. If Wahab goes elsewhere then lean on Mitchell or get a grad transfer big. As far as PA, I think its a long shot but who knows. I have a feeling 1 or 2 of the current roster who is still eligible for next year will be gone. This will leave 1 or 2 more spots. Start looking JUCO and grad transfers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1548433989336.png

Reaction Score
I think our priority should be at the 5 spot. If Wahab goes elsewhere then lean on Mitchell or get a grad transfer big. As far as PA, I think its a long shot but who knows. I have a feeling 1 or 2 of the current roster who is still eligible for next year will be gone. This will leave 1 or 2 more spots. Start looking JUCO and grad transfers.
Uh-oh! This is starting to feel like the last 2 years when we have go the JUCO/Grad Transfer route to fill in roster holes. I hope Hurley can be more successful as he will have the whole off-season to work on this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh-oh! This is starting to feel like the last 2 years when we have go the JUCO route to fill in roster holes. I hope Hurley can be more successful as he will have the whole off-season to work on this.

Sort of, but we have 3 really good players committed instead of a few question mark types. One more good player and this is a great class.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Uh-oh! This is starting to feel like the last 2 years when we have go the JUCO route to fill in roster holes. I hope Hurley can be more successful as he will have the whole off-season to work on this.

Most of these kids are getting recruited for years. Hurley getting late into the game for the '19 class was/is an impediment. Not the be-all end-all, but it's a definite hindrance.

The '20 class is absolutely critical. The key to everything. Especially if they miss down low on the '19 class.

Reaction Score
Most of these kids are getting recruited for years. Hurley getting late into the game for the '19 class was/is an impediment. Not the be-all end-all, but it's a definite hindrance.

The '20 class is absolutely critical. The key to everything. Especially if they miss down low on the '19 class.
I totally understand that but it still feels bad to miss on all of our big men targets this year. I guess technically our starting lineup right now is C- Jr. Josh Carlton, PF- Fr. Akok Akok, SF-Fr. James Bouknight/RSSO. Sid Wilson, PG- RSJR. Alterique Gilbert and SG- SR. Christian Vital. We have some guard depth on the bench but nothing upfront on the bench besides Polley, Wilson, Diarra and Whaley. Not sure we can count on them for much help. I hope Akok with some added strength can solidify our PF position from the start as we are going to need him to produce next year.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I totally understand that but it still feels bad to miss on all of our big men targets this year.

Hell yes it does. Wasn't saying other-wise.

Reaction Score
I don't want a JUCO either, but let's not act like they're all the same. Cobb was like the 50th ranked JUCO in his year. There are solid ones out there, but you need to scout well to find them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't want a JUCO either, but let's not act like they're all the same. Cobb was like the 50th ranked JUCO in his year. There are solid ones out there, but you need to scout well to find them.

More importantly, you need to land them. There are so few, and the stakes so high at that point in the game, it's tough sledding.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I firmly believe Precious is out, but why are we acting like we’re going to miss on Wahab and Mitchell (or that Mitchell will reclassify?)

Illinois thought there was no chance with Kofi and suddenly he’s on their commit list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom