ESPN announcement for Jones? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcement for Jones?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
College is more than academics. Sure, Stanford's academics are superior to UConn's but the entire college experience is what sells a kid on a school. A million different things are part of that - location, where friends go, availability of clubs & organizations, weather... And you never know what a potential student wants. Some kids want to stay close to home; other kids can't wait to get away. You never know, especially with teenagers.

Reaction Score
I sure hope so. It’s going to be a challenge replacing Lou and Napheesa. That challenge will be lessened with Jones and Boston in the fold. I don’t want to be a harbinger of doom, but Geno is going to replace them next year. He needs players that can make plays on both ends of the court (make plays, score and play defense) to be competitive next year. They both start as freshmen if they come here.

Looking at the bench right now, plus Griffin, are those players already in house? In years past, UConn has survived not getting certain highly coveted recruits, because he already had talented freshmen waiting in the wings to step up.

The consensus (according to posts and comments here in the yard and the media) is that UConn is presently lacking quality depth. How can they lose two All Americans, not add any top rated recruits (No slight meant towards Griffin who is rated #33 in Hoopgiurlz), and remain dominant? I’m not panicking, but I am seriously concerned. I question if they can survive not getting both Jones and Boston. If I’m missing something here, someone please enlighten me. Thoughts? :rolleyes:

i rarely disagree with your very knowledgeable comments. In terms of the current players and bench: Next season no KLS no Precious but CW, Megan, and the current bench. Geno has been condemned in many previous season for NOT getting a wing, a post, a guard or more than one. Yet, he survives.
What Uconn has LACKED is EFFECTIVE height post player. ONO could develop into that player. Irwin could add some relief in the post if she continues to develop. Who fills th VOID that remains as KLS/Precious depart? Megan, CW, (maybe Coombs, maybe Gordon) and a long long maybe on the new recruits. Why are they long long? History--Geno has sat some pretty talented kids.

Reaction Score
College is more than academics. Sure, Stanford's academics are superior to UConn's but the entire college experience is what sells a kid on a school. A million different things are part of that - location, where friends go, availability of clubs & organizations, weather... And you never know what a potential student wants. Some kids want to stay close to home; other kids can't wait to get away. You never know, especially with teenagers.
There are Academic and there are academics. Stanford/Uconn/Central Ct--take your choice and one will have that which suits you. Harvard, MIT, Stanford if you are lookig for name recognition. Uconn has produced pretty good careers in many fields--I could list one or two where Uconn has been the student recruited wanted for specific industries. This Stanford BS, irritate me; as Geno isn't for EVERYONE neither is Stanford.

MTC

Reaction Score
My crystal ball says Jones is going to Oregon. It hasn't been wrong in a long time. Boston is coming to UCONN.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Haley will select UConn over Stanford because of the superiority of the UConn mascot. Hugging Jonathan is so much more fun than hugging a tree.....just saying. :cool:

Unfortunately, not true. If it was true, explain the success of the Oregon Ducks (Are you kidding? Not even a cute little yellow duck) or the MD Terrapins (A turtle Head bangHead bang )

Just kidding (Sort of)

In comparison, a tree is not so bad.

Reaction Score
There are Academic and there are academics. Stanford/Uconn/Central Ct--take your choice and one will have that which suits you. Harvard, MIT, Stanford if you are lookig for name recognition. Uconn has produced pretty good careers in many fields--I could list one or two where Uconn has been the student recruited wanted for specific industries. This Stanford BS, irritate me; as Geno isn't for EVERYONE neither is Stanford.
Let me name one, Leigh Curl. Played basketball at UConn and is now a successful physician . Did I mention that she has super bowl rings ??

Reaction Score
No, no, no - everyone knows it's the cows and the Dairy Bar that are Geno's big weapons.

Back when I attended in the early 70's the Dairy Bar was way more of a draw than the football or basketball programs. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the tree bears delicious fruits , why not hug it? :D
I believe the Stanford mascot is an evergreen. So unless you like eating pine cones, it's not all that appealing.

Reaction Score
Haley will select UConn over Stanford because of the superiority of the UConn mascot. Hugging Jonathan is so much more fun than hugging a tree.....just saying. :cool:
IIRC she is from Northern California where there are a disproportionate amount of tree huggers. Just sayin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IIRC she is from Northern California where there are a disproportionate amount of tree huggers. Just sayin.
Sadly, a lot of those trees are on fire right now. I just read that the air in Northern CA is the worst on the
planet as a result of the wildfires.

Reaction Score
While I think Fudd and Boston are sure things, the other two were educated guesses.

I remember reading in another thread that Fudd is a ND lean

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's even got her own Wiki page. A member of the UConn basketball team and valedictorian! Wow!

Leigh Curl - Wikipedia
Yeah, THAT Dr. Leigh Ann Curl, M.D., world-class orthopedic surgeon at Johns Hopkins, team doctor for a major university and NFL team, and member of the Academic Hall of Fame. Exactly how did attending UConn hold her back?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember reading in another thread that Fudd is a ND lean
There is a conspiracy theory of sorts that, because N.D. won the championship and Sam Brunelle committed there (actually her second choice), all of her friends--Boston, Buckers, Fudd, et al.--will follow her to South Bend. Some of us are skeptical. I'm highly skeptical.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom