ESPN announcement for Jones? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcement for Jones?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong, every player in Geno and CD's 33 years, that has stayed four years (even some that had eligibility left) has gotten their degree. That seems to indicate that education is a priority at UCONN. It is not a Stanford academically obviously but it is not just a basketball factory either.
You are correct. In addition to UConn WBB 100% graduation rate, if a player slacks off academically at UConn, they don’t play, they don’t suit up and they don’t even sit on the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is very believable.

I sure hope so. It’s going to be a challenge replacing Lou and Napheesa next year. That challenge will be lessened with Jones and Boston in the fold. I don’t want to be a harbinger of doom, but there will be two starting positions that must be filled. That's where Jones and Boston come in. Most BY'ers think Boston is a lock, while the yard is split on Jones' final destination. Geno needs players that can make plays on both ends of the court (make plays, score and play defense) to be competitive next year. They both start as freshmen if they come here.

While I'm not doing "Chicken Little" just yet, looking at the bench right now, plus Griffin, I am concerned.
Are those players Geno will choose from already in house? In years past, UConn has survived not getting certain highly coveted recruits, because he already had talented freshmen waiting in the wings to step up.

The consensus (according to posts and comments here in the yard and the media) is that UConn is presently lacking quality depth. How can they lose two All Americans, not add any top rated recruits (No slight meant towards Griffin who is rated #33 in Hoopgiurlz), and remain dominant? I’m not panicking, but I am seriously concerned. I question if they can survive not getting both Jones and Boston. If I’m missing something here, someone please enlighten me. Thoughts? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This is my 1st post here though I have been reading the Boneyard for years. Nice to get some information from all corners. Born and raised in Bpt, CT and a big UCONN fan. But I am NOT a Kool-aid guy. So sometimes I scratch my head at what Geno has been doing the last few years. Criticizing Williams after game 1 (?) for deferring too much? I thought she played well in the flow (UCONN trademark!) and let the sr's lead . As she should have. Recruiting: You guys realize there are 3 uncommitted players left in the ESPN Top 100??? Better hope Boston and Jones sign w/UConn. Better hope they stick around. If you only bring in 3 players a year they better all be good and stay IF you want UConn to be UConn. UConn has 11 players this season. 4 of those 11 cannot help much at this point. Maybe they get better. Someone gets hurt and you are pretty much done.
Welcome to the Yard. And I am sure the Boneheads are very aware of the recruiting situation, so I guess your question was rhetorical. You will indeed get "information from all corners" here. Some of it is even correct! Good luck and good posting. :D

Reaction Score
You are correct. In addition to UConn WBB 100% graduation rate, if a player slacks off academically at UConn, they don’t play, they don’t suit up and they don’t even sit on the bench.

If she’s considering Stanford, she’s not exactly the slack-off type.

As much as a strong basketball program, Jones said earlier this year that she is looking for a strong academic institution.

“I think academics are very important for me and all women in sports, because we do not make as much money as men do and we need to have a good degree so you can do something with it,” Jones, who is exploring a psychology major, said in an April interview with the Sentinel. “Because basketball doesn’t last forever and you need to have a steady income after basketball.”

I wonder if she’s been paying attention to the situation in the WNBA with the players recently opting out of the CBA. A lot of uncertainty surrounding the WNBA.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This once again seems appropriate ...

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I think Jones is going to Stanford, although I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Geno and company. The words of a teen can’t be relied upon. It was not too long ago a great player said she wanted to go to a program where they develop players. Only to then chose a coach who has yet to develop any talented players

Reaction Score
People go to college for an education. Getting the best one possible, especially for free, is the best investment one can make for their future. Stating the obvious but often ignored here, but athlete comes after student in the word student-athlete.
Regardless of where she goes to school, make no mistake about it - Haley Jones will be majoring in BASKETBALL. At the elite athletic level this is just reality. I would think an analysis of which institution has the best BASKETBALL department would be key to her decision.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Jones is going to Stanford, although I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Geno and company. The words of a teen can’t be relied upon. It was not too long ago a great player said she wanted to go to a program where they develop players. Only to then chose a coach who has yet to develop any talented players
Yes, I was thinking of Horston’s comments and how we all felt that she was leaning towards UConn. Fortunately she is talented enough to succeed in spite of HW’s coaching rather than because of it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Thanks to my friends on the Boneyard for coverng my back. Those of you who know me know I would never ever put down any player and for the past 24 years that Ive been on this board, I have kept players back when other posters have attacked them.

Dorf I see your new but perhaps in the future instead of attacking a poster and calling them names because you think your interpretation is correct maybe you could simply send a pm message requesting an explanation. Im sorry you misinterpreted what I ment and Im sure your rude comments were out of hostility. In any event welcome to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Thanks to my friends on the Boneyard for coverng my back. Those of you who know me know I would never ever put down any player and for the past 24 years that Ive been on this board, I have kept players back when other posters have attacked them.

Dorf I see your new but perhaps in the future instead of attacking a poster and calling them names because you think your interpretation is correct maybe you could simply send a pm message requesting an explanation. Im sorry you misinterpreted what I ment and Im sure your rude comments were out of hostility. In any event welcome to the Boneyard.
Maybe you should reread both of our posts. I never called you any names and didn't infer anything from your post that wasn't there. If you don't want me to call you out on your fatuity I strongly suggest you put me on ignore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I imagine that is true at most of the top schools.

Reaction Score
Stanford will winout ... being close to home will be the deciding factor. Tara is a hall of famer and has produce a national title , final fours, all Americans. Yes UCONN has been the most dominant program but the pac 12 is one of the best power 5 conferences .. the American is a total joke. All the pros at Stanford out number the ones at UCONN. I predict Boston to UCONN and sadly Haley to Stanford ..
O ye of little faith, hath not the Dorf told you that Jones is coming to UConn? If it were not so, the Dorf would not have told you.

Reaction Score
Pretty asinine to imply that a Stanford decision means she has decided to stop getting better or that she won't get better at Stanford.

It's as asinine as implying that a top notch education isn't available at UConn. The value in attending a school like Stanford or Duke is in the network one builds and those 2 schools are loaded with the children of corporate board members, national politicians, etc. I doubt that many scholarship athletes have much time to schmooze the sons & daughters of fortune 500 executives.

Reaction Score
It's as asinine as implying that a top notch education isn't available at UConn. The value in attending a school like Stanford or Duke is in the network one builds and those 2 schools are loaded with the children of corporate board members, national politicians, etc. I doubt that many scholarship athletes have much time to schmooze the sons & daughters of fortune 500 executives.
Strawmen are fun.

Reaction Score
I sure hope so. It’s going to be a challenge replacing Lou and Napheesa. That challenge will be lessened with Jones and Boston in the fold. I don’t want to be a harbinger of doom, but Geno is going to need players that can make plays on both ends of the court to be competitive next year.

Looking at the bench right now, plus Griffin, are those players already in house? In years past, UConn has survived not getting certain highly coveted recruits, because he already had talented freshmen waiting in the wings to step up.

The consensus is that UConn is presently lacking quality depth. How can they lose two All Americans, not add top rated recruits, and remain dominant? I’m not panicking, but I am seriously concerned. I question if they can survive not getting both Jones and Boston. If I’m missing something here, someone please enlighten me. Thoughts? :rolleyes:
CW and ONO will prove to be quality freshman, MW will excel, CD is great. and both Boston and Haley will come to UConn. The sun is shining, and,the sun will come out tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Educated guesses?I went out to Ruth Chris's last night to celebrate us getting these four players and celebrated the fact that the great prognosticator has saved the Husky program from being run of the mill. What, no inside stuff?:)

Reaction Score
Jones is not coming to UCONN. She is not passing up an education to Stanford within driving distance from her family. Remeber when Maya Dodson was down to TN and Stanford and condoleezza rice said “why would you choose anywhere else other than Stanford”. Jones is gonna be the go to player for Stanford and not gonna be over shadowed by Walker, Williams (same positions). I know I might not get liked for this post but it’s true. Stanford can use these type of woman to help recruit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Proximity to family I get.

On the other hand, Undergraduate education is fairly even in most general reputable institutions and has been pointed out on the board, is based on what the student themself puts into it.

I guess if you want to do High Energy Physics at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) , Stanford is the overall best choice although now that I think of it, UConn is not that far from Brookhaven National Labs (BNL). ;)

Reaction Score
Apparently I made a huge mistake thinking I could get a quality education at UConn. Perhaps I can get my money back. Particularly since it seems to be an assumed fact by some who post on this board that everyone at Stanford is smarter and receiving a better education than those who were forced to settle for going to school at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jones is not coming to UCONN. She is not passing up an education to Stanford within driving distance from her family. Remeber when Maya Dodson was down to TN and Stanford and condoleezza rice said “why would you choose anywhere else other than Stanford”. Jones is gonna be the go to player for Stanford and not gonna be over shadowed by Walker, Williams (same positions). I know I might not get liked for this post but it’s true. Stanford can use these type of woman to help recruit.
Do the initials KLS mean anything to you in the context of Stanford vs. UCONN WBB?

Reaction Score

but, but, but some people here say that you can get as good of an education from Uconn:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I’m not knocking UCONN’s education the slightest. Just when comparing to Stanford . Jab me all you want but come Monday you will see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom