ESPN announcement for Jones? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcement for Jones?

Reaction Score
Lastly Haley wants to study physcology and Stanford has the best undergraduate program in the nation. UCONN is ranked 52nd undergraduate program in the nation. Big difference sadly Stanford will winout .. with brink committed Tara could be putting together a championship caliber team in the near future. Hopefully I’m wrong come Monday but my gut feeling says she will commit to the Cardinal.

Reaction Score
Per article .. my take... academics very inportant to her: Stanford beats out UCONN. Bond with teammates give the edge if Boston commits to UCONN: edge UCONN... Coach to push her to be the best .. Edge to UCONN. I think it’s a toss up.. the closeness to home might end up being the factor and Stanford wins out with Haley!!! Boston is a must get for Geno and company!!!
concur with your thoughts...Bond with teammates very important. Remember the two Unofficial visitors that made special effort to be at UCONN during the official visits of Jones and Boston...that says Teammate closeness to me since they played together all summer. She also never said anything about closeness to home, at least not in this article. I have a feeling...maybe just arthritis in my shoulder, but it could be that the four ladies that played together in the summer and got together during Jones and Boston's official visit have made "a pact"... and they see early/immediate playing time at UCONN. It could happen.

Reaction Score
UConn lost in the semi final to MS St. Still would've had to win the final. Every year there are more talented HS players. Women's bball looks like it is where Men's bball was in the 60's when talent spread out and UCLA no longer dominated. I dont know that the '19 team you mentioned would be top 5. Geno would need to more quickly develop and play freshmen. something he hasnt done since KLS.

I know that we still would have had to win one more game after defeating MS. But we had already beaten SC by 20 that year, and they simply did not match up well with that UConn team. Again, if Jones and Boston commit next year, I like our chances at the end of next year.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou. :D

Didn’t she come east to get away from her sister, who IIRC went to Stanford?

Still though I question her choice. Any other P5 school, there’s at least an argument. But Stanford is arguably the preeminent academic institution in the country, Harvard and MIT included.

Reaction Score
Didn’t she come east to get away from her sister, who IIRC went to Stanford?

Still though I question her choice. Any other P5 school, there’s at least an argument. But Stanford is arguably the preeminent academic institution in the country, Harvard and MIT included.
Yes, both of Lou's Sisters (Bonnie and Karlie) went to Stanford. Lou and her Sisters are very close...and have been since childhood. BUT, every interview of Lou, her Father, and her Sister say that Lou came east to try something on her own, to go to where the best coach was. Karlie and Lou both have said they would have loved to play together, but Lou was "her own woman" and wanted a different challenge. No one has ever said she wanted to "get away from her sister."

Other UCONN great WBB players have come from California, including at least DT and KML. The choice is theirs...and most take everything into account, not just academics, not just sports.

Reaction Score
Haley speaks:
“The first thing that’s always been important to me is my teammates and the chemistry that I have with them on and off the court, because you spend almost all your time with them,” she told the Sentinel in April. “So that bond is going to be really important to make that (college) decision.”

Girls Basketball: Santa Cruz’s Haley Jones to announce college decision Monday – Santa Cruz Sentinel
This Article makes stanford look.like the favorite. Hint at the team USA pic with Fran Belibi when talking about teammate relationships..

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I got excited when I read your question. Stanford currently has 15 players on scholarship, which is the NCAA limit. They have NLI's from 3 HS seniors. Unfortunately, they graduate 4 seniors. So, yes they have room for one more scholarship on next year's team.

As good as Jones is, 15 players on the team will still impact individual coaching time and PT. Note that one of Stanford's incoming recruits is talented 6"1" Fran Belibi from CO, #23 on Hoopgurlz. Jones is better of course, but she will still have to battle for minutes against another talented wing in her own class if she heads to Stanford, not to mention the 11 returning players from this years team.

As for UConn, while I would be reluctant to say this about most incoming freshmen, I would be surprised if Haley did not crack UConn's starting lineup from Day 1 next season.
Stanford almost always carries 15 players. They have 15 endowed scholarships, so AD funding is not an issue. And Tara believes strongly in using the scholarships to give worthy female athletes a chance to attend Stanford.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stanford is a great university and Haley Jones may well end up there. But if you asked her to project her anticipated career after college it would most certainly involve basketball.

When it comes to WBB, UConn awards more P.H.D.’s than any school on the planet. Does anyone really believe that Gabby or Lou, both of whom decided to choose UConn over Stanford, would have somehow developed their games to the same level, or had a better overall experience in college if they attended Stanford?

Haley Jones is an intelligent, articulate young lady. By now, I suspect she has weighed all the pros and cons and made her choice. If she selects Stanford, whatever reasons she outlines, imo the single most important one will be the proximity of Stanford to her family. When UConn has lost top recruits in the past few years (Wilson, Cox, etc.) it has invariably been to a school near their home.

However, until Haley Jones states otherwise, I will continue to remain optimistic that she will follow DT, KML, Gabby & Lou to earn her advanced degree at the “Oxford” of WBB

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts. One being parents and friends can watch UConn games as UConn games are televised. Being a high caliber BB player imo would lead you to UConn, because you didnt work your entire life to be a great BB player and then say OK im going to stop getting better and focus on something else. Haley will go far in WBB. There is nothing better in life then having a career doing something you love. At UConn the goal in NC's Pretty much FF's are there especially lately. As far as friends go why would she travel all the way across the country to be with friends at UConn???? I like our chance a lot. It is between UConn and Stanford and with Latecia going to SC that leads me to believe that Geno has a position for Haley next season. There is no way Geno would not take Latecia if Haley wasnt coming. That would leave a position open.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts. One being parents and friends can watch UConn games as UConn games are televised. Being a high caliber BB player imo would lead you to UConn, because you didnt work your entire life to be a great BB player and then say OK im going to stop getting better and focus on something else. Haley will go far in WBB. There is nothing better in life then having a career doing something you love. At UConn the goal in NC's Pretty much FF's are there especially lately. As far as friends go why would she travel all the way across the country to be with friends at UConn???? I like our chance a lot. It is between UConn and Stanford and with Latecia going to SC that leads me to believe that Geno has a position for Haley next season. There is no way Geno would not take Latecia if Haley wasnt coming. That would leave a position open.
Pretty asinine to imply that a Stanford decision means she has decided to stop getting better or that she won't get better at Stanford.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pretty asinine to imply that a Stanford decision means she has decided to stop getting better or that she won't get better at Stanford.
I know we’re all a little on edge here waiting on the decisions of two young ladies. I’m sure TonyC did not mean to imply that Haley would stop trying to get better at basketball if she decides to attend Stanford. She is an impressive young lady who will be successful wherever she ends up. That’s why so many of us want her as a Husky.

Reaction Score
She should take the route of Basketball excellence and player development at UCONN :);):)
People go to college for an education. Getting the best one possible, especially for free, is the best investment one can make for their future. Stating the obvious but often ignored here, but athlete comes after student in the word student-athlete.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People go to college for an education. Getting the best one possible, especially for free, is the best investment one can make for their future. Stating the obvious but often ignored here, but athlete comes after student in the word student-athlete.
People also go to college to develop their skills to get the best job possible upon graduation. Pretty sure Haley Jones will have a better paying job waiting for her in the WNBA and overseas playing basketball than she will with a degree in Psychology where the starting salary ranges between $29K-$32K regardless of the institution she graduates from.

Reaction Score
Stanford will winout ... being close to home will be the deciding factor. Tara is a hall of famer and has produce a national title , final fours, all Americans. Yes UCONN has been the most dominant program but the pac 12 is one of the best power 5 conferences .. the American is a total joke. All the pros at Stanford out number the ones at UCONN. I predict Boston to UCONN and sadly Haley to Stanford ..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would respectfully suggest that people go to college for a number of reasons including an education. Haley Jones is not merely a bright student with an opportunity to attend Stanford. She is the number one HS basketball player in the country, who will very likely earn millions playing basketball. That has to be a consideration in her decision.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong, every player in Geno and CD's 33 years, that has stayed four years (even some that had eligibility left) has gotten their degree. That seems to indicate that education is a priority at UCONN. It is not a Stanford academically obviously but it is not just a basketball factory either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford will winout ... being close to home will be the deciding factor. Tara is a hall of famer and has produce a national title , final fours, all Americans. Yes UCONN has been the most dominant program but the pac 12 is one of the best power 5 conferences .. the American is a total joke. All the pros at Stanford out number the ones at UCONN. I predict Boston to UCONN and sadly Haley to Stanford ..
How has UCONN WCBB compared to the Pac 12 teams lately? Historically?
Haley has never stated that being close to home will be a factor in her decision. She has stated that academics and teammates will be. The former favors Stanford, the latter favors UCONN.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
depends on what you want ... some kids actually want to get away from home, and if that's the case for jones, then stanford would be a huge negative

and as far as education goes ... it depends on what you're most interested in (and of course, you'll only get what you put into it, at any school)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom