OT: - Enoch visiting Louisville | The Boneyard

OT: Enoch visiting Louisville

Reaction Score
It's not a fair comparison. If he practiced hard for a year off with us & then returned he should also be better & stronger.

Sports comparisons aren't fair. Can he be developed or not? It's as simple as that. I think it will give us some insight, that's all. I wish him the best of luck.

Reaction Score
40% of you thought that He had no talent nor physical ability. You have little evaluative capabilities.

With Enoch, he has to want to be good. Some of his defense was embarrassingly inept. But ... I'm telling you: he can be good based on his body and athleticism. He was never the long list (like Justin Brown or Mandeldove) of supposed comparables.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sports comparisons aren't fair. Can he be developed or not? It's as simple as that. I think it will give us some insight, that's all. I wish him the best of luck.

He was obviously raw coming in, so it would have taken him a while to put it together anywhere. The reality for us is that we will never know what he could have been at UCONN, regardless of how he does at his next stop.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
40% of you thought that He had no talent nor physical ability. You have little evaluative capabilities.

With Enoch, he has to want to be good. Some of his defense was embarrassingly inept. But ... I'm telling you: he can be good based on his body and athleticism. He was never the long list (like Justin Brown or Mandeldove) of supposed comparables.

40%? Thought it was closer to 37%.

In any event, I don't see it with Enoch. He was one of the worst defensive bigs we have ever had here. Couldn't rebound whatsoever. Showed a couple nice moves once every few games but was a terrible finisher around the rim. I will say he seemed to knock his mid range jumper down a bit more than I would have expected.

Enoch could end up being decent because he has the body for it but it clearly wasn't happening here.

Not sure what you saw the past 2 seasons that the rest of us were missing but I just don't think he is that good.

Reaction Score
40%? Thought it was closer to 37%.

In any event, I don't see it with Enoch. He was one of the worst defensive bigs we have ever had here. Couldn't rebound whatsoever. Showed a couple nice moves once every few games but was a terrible finisher around the rim. I will say he seemed to knock his mid range jumper down a bit more than I would have expected.

Enoch could end up being decent because he has the body for it but it clearly wasn't happening here.

Not sure what you saw the past 2 seasons that the rest of us were missing but I just don't think he is that good.

You are wrong

Fast strong hands. Big body. And he could move ... Not lumbering. He did have one impressive game blocking out & rebounding against Meier of Houston. His offense looked promising.

But ... you have to lean towards the explanation that he wasn't responding to Coaching. Because he looked awful a lot.

Redshirt program was made for him. Like Gonzaga has done repeatedly. But from the stands ... you'd have to say that there was a simple disconnect. There is a good possibility that he never will get it.

C

Chief00

You are wrong

Fast strong hands. Big body. And he could move ... Not lumbering. He did have one impressive game blocking out & rebounding against Meier of Houston. His offense looked promising.

But ... you have to lean towards the explanation that he wasn't responding to Coaching. Because he looked awful a lot.

Redshirt program was made for him. Like Gonzaga has done repeatedly. But from the stands ... you'd have to say that there was a simple disconnect. There is a good possibility that he never will get it.
Overall Chief agrees.

Reaction Score

It's funny you call people out for being stupid in your post but put together a really really uninsightful and stupid post.

Thanks for telling us he can be good if he works hard and becomes a good basketball player and not just a big body. Is your day job a basketball scout?

Reaction Score
Steven Enoch has athletic talent, but he was a raw basketball player when he got to UConn. For some reason or another, whether it was coaching or coachability, he did not develop. I think a redshirt year would help him tremendously and he could develop into a very good basketball player. It just wasn't happening at UConn for him and he probably could use a change of scenery. I wish him well wherever her ends up.

Reaction Score
This would be good, it will let us know if it was him or us.
I thought the exact same thing. Him going to Louisville would actually tell us a lot as a fan base. If he goes to LVille and does well, there will be a strong contingent of fans here that argues that he would have improved here anyway, so, in some part, it's all academic.
But really - the kid didn't show much incline in his learning curve, and that was in a season - as was pointed out above - in which there was ample playing time for him if he could have handled it.
So how did he do? Most glaringly, his FG% went from 543 to 410. I'm sure much of this had to do with him taking more shots, and not relying on just dunks and put backs, but still . . . you would not expect that much regression. 410 from 2 for the season is . . . miserable. At that rate, we'd only have to shoot about 27% from 3 to do as well. If the best your inside big can give you is 410, then bomb away and go for long rebounds. Why not.
Otherwise, blocks, steals, foul rate all improved, but assists went from 0.0 his freshman year to 0.1, which, by my math, is an assist every 10 games. Yikes.

What do the assists and poor D tell you? Steve has very poor situational awareness on the court. Poor court vision. Low BBall IQ. Game is fast for him. Whatever word set you want for that concept. He just doesn't have a natural understanding of the game.

Can that change? Probably. A lot? Probably not. I haven't seen too many guys in my years flip that switch. Gradual development? Yes. Year to year improvement. Yes. Flip switch and the Lost Boys become Johny Dangerously? Not so much.

So back to the original thought. Can he improve at UL? Yes. Markedly? Seems unlikely, given that the limitation appears to be something that may not be teachable beyond Steven's natural learning pace - feel for the game.

In the end, if he goes to UL and does well enough to start for them, that would be a bad look for Ollie and Company, and, if I'm being honest with myself, I have a conflicting interest with my interest in seeing him be successful in life because I'd prefer to see confirmation at a P5 school that the problem was him, not us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom