Enoch is transferring | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Enoch is transferring

Reaction Score
Some guys on the URI forum have heard he'll end up at URI or PC. Personally I could definitely see him at PC. They have a lot of depth next year while he'll sit out and then he'd be a 2 year starter for a local team in the NBE

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Defense does not win championships, offense does. The greatest defensive front in the history of the NFL was the Philadelphia Eagles with Reggie White, the great Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons. I still remember watching them push teams up and down the field, but that great defense as great as it was never won a Superbowl. In baseball the greatest 4 man pitching rotation ever was Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, John Matlack, and Nolan Ryan, but those four did not win the world series that year.

And the 3 best offenses I've personally witnessed didn't win it either (Rams 2001, Patriots 2007, Atlanta 2016). So what?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope you're not suggesting that they're blowing teams out by 30-35 a game because of defense.

Actually yeah. They don't get it track meets. Every single thing the UCONN women do starts from their defense.

If the other team only scores 20 points, they could score only 55 and blow them out by 35.

If you went asked Geno whether they win more because of offense or defense, I'd bet all the money in the world he'd tell you the latter. Calhoun too.

Reminiscent of JC's famous rebounding drill, the women's renowned practice drill is "four-on-seven": four on defense, seven on offense. Doesn't end until the defense makes a stop, no matter if people are falling over or it's lasting 1+ hours. Geno's a defense first guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And the 3 best offenses I've personally witnessed didn't win it either (Rams 2001, Patriots 2007, Atlanta 2016). So what?
Stop playing games, you know as well as I that you have to have a little bit of each. Question is what's the more important "each", I say it is offense and you say otherwise. Let's just leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Stop playing games, you know as well as I that you have to have a little bit of each. Question is what's the more important "each", I say it is offense and you say otherwise. Let's just leave it at that.

If you stop a team from ever scoring how do you lose?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Not playing games at all. Just showcasing the facts as they present themselves in the natural world.

Of course both components is critical. Having a gaping hole at one end of the floor is general as losing proposition. No one would argue otherwise. So yes, the question is then, which is more important.

Very simply Looking throughout history at sports, it's hard to come up with primarily offensive teams that have won it all. It's pretty easy to find primarily defense oriented teams.

Again, using the article somebody posted above about the Top 5 defenses ever:

1985 Bears
2000 Ravens
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks
1986 Giants

Every single one of them won the Superbowl.

And in my opinion 4 of the top 5 (or so) best offenses ever:

2013 Broncos
2016 Atlanta
2007 Patriots
2001 Rams

None of them won the Superbowl.

The best defense usually cancels out the best offense, year in, year out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually yeah. They don't get it track meets. Every single thing the UCONN women do starts from their defense.

If the other team only scores 20 points, they could score only 55 and blow them out by 35.

If you went asked Geno whether they win more because of offense or defense, I'd bet all the money in the world he'd tell you the latter. Calhoun too.

Reminiscent of JC's famous rebounding drill, the women's renowned practice drill is "four-on-seven": four on defense, seven on offense. Doesn't end until the defense makes a stop, no matter if people are falling over or it's lasting 1+ hours. Geno's a defense first guy.
Sure it's their defense but the offense is beautiful thing to watch.

Reaction Score
Not playing games at all. Just showcasing the facts as they present themselves in the natural world.

Of course both components is critical. Having a gaping hole at one end of the floor is general as losing proposition. No one would argue otherwise. So yes, the question is then, which is more important.

Very simply Looking throughout history at sports, it's hard to come up with primarily offensive teams that have won it all. It's pretty easy to find primarily defense oriented teams.

1985 Bears
2000 Ravens
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks
1986 Giants

2013 Broncos
2016 Atlanta
2007 Patriots
2001 Rams

As usual, you are wrong. The best NFL defense ever was the 91 Eagles, and if you argue that then I know you're full of it. The 91 Eagles never even made the playoffs. They didn't have an offense.

1991 Philadelphia Eagles season - Wikipedia

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As usual, you are wrong. The best NFL defense ever was the 91 Eagles, and if you argue that then I know you're full of it. The 91 Eagles never even made the playoffs. They didn't have an offense.

Nobody said you could be completely devoid at one end of the field or the other.

And most observers don't think the 1991 Eagles were the best ever. You are kind of in a category of your own there. Outside of Eagles fans I guess.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

They had an excellent defense for the entirety of Reggie White's time there, their defensive front was ridiculous (many experts believe Jerome Brown was as good of a player as Reggie), they had talent at LB & safety (although speed there could have been improved on) and two top flight CBs. Bud Carson's willingness to change up things (from Buddy Ryan's always running the 46) brought the defense to an even higher level. They were without question one of the great defenses of all time.

That said, Football Outsider's ranking does not mean that they are definitively the best defense ever. I am sure they are when using FO's criteria but until their criteria is examined (and contested with other rankings) it wouldn't even be possible to have a semi-informed debate as to which set of ranking criteria is more valid. With a full understanding of their criteria, who was the defense e er would still be an opinion, Not a fact.

Reaction Score
Some guys on the URI forum have heard he'll end up at URI or PC. Personally I could definitely see him at PC. They have a lot of depth next year while he'll sit out and then he'd be a 2 year starter for a local team in the NBE

F.ck PC

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My money would be on Providence right now.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Can this thread be moved to the football forum? WTF does greatest NFL defenses of all time have to do with Enoch transferring? The thought process of some members of this board is mind boggling. Besides, the '85 Bears were without a doubt the greatest defense of all-time..... I suspect a lot of posters weren't born or were too young to remember them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can this thread be moved to the football forum? WTF does greatest NFL defenses of all time have to do with Enoch transferring? The thought process of some members of this board is mind boggling. Besides, the '85 Bears were without a doubt the greatest defense of all-time..... I suspect a lot of posters weren't born or were too young to remember them.

Criticizes posters' tangents...goes off on a tangent. Classic Yard.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Criticizes posters' tangents...goes off on a tangent. Classic Yard.
It's called humor..... Maybe I should've made it clearer..... Actually, I didn't go off on a tangent, I stayed on a tangent.

Reaction Score

1985 Bears
2000 Ravens
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks
1986 Giants

2013 Broncos
2016 Atlanta
2007 Patriots
2001 Rams

I'd say this is typically true but not always.

2014 Patriots over Seattle is an example of offense over defense. For that matter, so is 2003 Patriots over Carolina. I'm not saying these teams were all time world beaters statistically, but only that offensive explosions over top defenses won the actual games.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's called humor..... Maybe I should've made it clearer..... Actually, I didn't go off on a tangent, I stayed on a tangent.

So was mine. The discussion of posters (age) instead of topic was another tangent.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

2014 Patriots over Seattle is an example of offense over defense. For that matter, so is 2003 Patriots over Carolina. I'm not saying these teams were all time world beaters statistically, but only that offensive explosions over top defenses won the actual games.

Nothing is always true man, especially when talking about trends. I provided some examples to the contrary.

Reaction Score

2014- yes
2003- No, pats were number 1 ranked defense. Were middle of the road on offense.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
2014- yes
2003- No, pats were number 1 ranked defense. Were middle of the road on offense.

Think he was talking of the final game itself -- with a score of 32-29 (which is why I didn't argue that one). But I agree with both of you there.

Reaction Score
I really hope Steve thinks his choice out before he makes a decision. Like it or not there are a few high level programs that would tell him anything for him to come there and be their back up. He should choose a school he can get the time he needs to play and get better, more like a Manhattan, Iona like Sam Jr, Siena not another program at Husky level where he's going to get recruited over next year while sitting out.

I wish him all the luck in the world hope this decision works for him!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I really hope Steve thinks his choice out before he makes a decision. Like it or not there are a few high level programs that would tell him anything for him to come there and be their back up. He should choose a school he can get the time he needs to play and get better, more like a Manhattan, Iona like Sam Jr, Siena not another program at Husky level where he's going to get recruited over next year while sitting out.

I wish him all the luck in the world hope this decision works for him!
Fairfield. Close to home and he could shine there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom