Enjoy Hawkins while you can! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Enjoy Hawkins while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hawk is goin' to go through some radical changes this year. IMO.. Positive changes..He's on a team where he doesn't have to shoot lights out every night because he has a team that has his back.. By the the time the BET Tournament and NCAA Tournament happens.. He'll be killin' it

Reaction Score
Hawk is goin' to go through some radical changes this year. IMO.. Positive changes..He's on a team where he doesn't have to shoot lights out every night because he has a team that has his back.. By the the time the BET Tournament and NCAA Tournament happens.. He'll be killin' it
He's also had a weird season after 7 games. He plays 9 minutes in the first game going scoreless and gets a concussion. Sits out the 2nd game during protocol. Then plays 4 games and does pretty well. Then plays only 5 minutes in the Iowa St. game due to foul trouble and a technical. So his season has been up and down and interrupted so far. Hopefully things settle down and he gets on a good roll.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I like his chances to have a great season based on the amount of pressure that has been taken off of him. It was just a few weeks ago that it seemed like we’d need him to be a huge alpha scorer night in and night out to be a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
In my opinion talk about Hawkins to the NBA is really early. I think he's behind both Rip and Ray as far as development is concerned. They both stayed 3 years.

The pattern that seems to be developing in his shooting is interesting. His first 2 or 3 shots are wildly off. Like barely catches rim. Then hits 3 in a row. But the form on all of his shots looks good. That last part has very little bearing on his NBA readiness. Just interesting. The degree to which the first few shots are off amuses me.

Reaction Score
In my opinion talk about Hawkins to the NBA is really early. I think he's behind both Rip and Ray as far as development is concerned. They both stayed 3 years.

The pattern that seems to be developing in his shooting is interesting. His first 2 or 3 shots are wildly off. Like barely catches rim. Then hits 3 in a row. But the form on all of his shots looks good. That last part has very little bearing on his NBA readiness. Just interesting. The degree to which the first few shots are off amuses me.
It's a completely different NBA that Hawkins is going to. Ray and Rip are both gone after their sophomore years if they were in college today, and maybe even freshman year for Rip

Reaction Score
He's gotta take over a game here and there

Also I think his frame is slight. Not sure there's room to add much bulk.

I hope he tears it up this year and becomes a high draft pick

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score

Hawkins might not be ready to be a meaningful NBA contributor in 2023-2024, but NBA roster building strategy is way different now versus 25 years ago. He can still be a lottery pick even if he’s not expected to play right away

Reaction Score
He just has to flash to keep his draft status high. He is everything NBA teams look for.

Fairly soon he will have a night that starts hot and he has 10 or 15 points at the ten minute mark. We'll win going away and the middle will open up even more for the two-headed monster.

Reaction Score
He just has to flash to keep his draft status high. He is everything NBA teams look for.

Fairly soon he will have a night that starts hot and he has 10 or 15 points at the ten minute mark. We'll win going away and the middle will open up even more for the two-headed monster.
That I buy 100%. Some of the BE teams are garbage. Lots of opportunity to look great in the box score and highlights

Reaction Score
If Hawkins can bump up his averages to around 15PPG on >40%, he has a real shot. An athletic knockdown shooter who plays great defense

Obviously Hawkins would get eaten alive on defense in the NBA, but the fundamentals are clearly there and they look a lot better than the average sophomore wing. I'd guess NBA scouts would bet they could build some muscle and build on his defense

He has to either show flashes of greatness or be more consistent though. As it stands he's at 11PPG on 38% FG and 36% 3P. I'm confident he can do it, especially if he can take advantage of some of the games against lower BE competition. I wouldn't mind a little stat padding like Bouknight did to keep that draft stock high lol

caw

Reaction Score
If Hawkins can bump up his averages to around 15PPG on >40%, he has a real shot. An athletic knockdown shooter who plays great defense

Obviously Hawkins would get eaten alive on defense in the NBA, but the fundamentals are clearly there and they look a lot better than the average sophomore wing. I'd guess NBA scouts would bet they could build some muscle and build on his defense

He has to either show flashes of greatness or be more consistent though. As it stands he's at 11PPG on 38% FG and 36% 3P. I'm confident he can do it, especially if he can take advantage of some of the games against lower BE competition. I wouldn't mind a little stat padding like Bouknight did to keep that draft stock high lol

I wouldn't worry to much about scoring averages if I were him, any decent NBA scout would factor in the injury the first game and basically take it out of the equation in terms of stats. Of course the fact he has dealt with concussions multiple times might bare negatively on his evaluation.

Reaction Score
Hawkins might not be ready to be a meaningful NBA contributor in 2023-2024, but NBA roster building strategy is way different now versus 25 years ago. He can still be a lottery pick even if he’s not expected to play right away
@BoukofJames and @navery12

I get it and i actually believe in what you are saying. It's just too far in this case. Too much projection and not enough substance in his resume. I respectively disagree. I dont believe hes currently a first round pick. And thus should return. He needs to up his production to get into the first round.

All that said. Lots of opportunity against lousy BE teams to do so.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry to much about scoring averages if I were him, any decent NBA scout would factor in the injury the first game and basically take it out of the equation in terms of stats. Of course the fact he has dealt with concussions multiple times might bare negatively on his evaluation.

Ignoring the first game brings him up to 13.2PPG on 41% FG and 39% 3P

Certainly looks a lot better, crazy what just 1 omitted game can do :)

Reaction Score
The only thing limiting Hawkins right now is using his hands too much on defense in obvious spots in front of refs.

Reaction Score
He ain’t ready.
Yahoo has him going to the Pacers late in the first round.

Sports Illustrated has him going to the Magic early in the second round.

He better get ready in a hurry. BTW, the NBA combine will probably affect his draft status more than his sophomore season.

Reaction Score
I’m not putting the cart before the horse just yet with Hawk. I do agree with some of the previous posts. My friends and I are big fans and chomping at the bit for him to become the GUY. It feels like he was ready to come out aggressive from the gate but with injuries and foul trouble his start has been inconsistent. On the other hand if he was averaging somewhere around 19/20 ppg out the gate I’d be waving goodbye at the end of the season. Not to say it can’t happen or he won’t pick it up hopefully by the end of the season we can lean on him to take us to the promise land.

Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins is nasty! Enjoy him while you can as long as he stays healthy. He could be gone this year. I know the competition wasn't great but his game is definitely more refined. I was really impressed with his D and his tighter dribble. Him and Jackson's defense really changed the game.
I was wondering who was going to be the first one to start that type of thread ??

Reaction Score
He ain’t ready.
I would like to clarify. He could be ready by season end. His defense looks good except for the hand checking fouls and I love to see some mid range pull ups and aggressive moves to the rim to go along with the 3’s. Richard Hamilton was a moving machine when he did not have the ball which freed him up, he had that motor. Hawk needs to show some of that but if he averages like 12 points a game does he go in the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom