Enjoy Hawkins while you can! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Enjoy Hawkins while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawk will be drafted but we need to wait and see how he plays out the rest of the season to see where he falls. Ive been following him since he was a sophomore in HS after I saw him at a tournament - he has yet to hit his potential at UConn because of injuries. The pros who he played with this summer have had nothing but raves about his game. He's young, growing and learning. Healthy - he'll be fine.
His defense has been impressive and he knows how to move his feet on D - Thanks CP3

Reaction Score
Hawk will be drafted but we need to wait and see how he plays out the rest of the season to see where he falls. Ive been following him since he was a sophomore in HS after I saw him at a tournament - he has yet to hit his potential at UConn because of injuries. The pros who he played with this summer have had nothing but raves about his game. He's young, growing and learning. Healthy - he'll be fine.
His defense has been impressive and he knows how to move his feet on D - Thanks CP3
You will prob get a ton of dislikes for questioning Hawkins here.

Reaction Score
Could've fooled me. And yes I did see better dribbling skills tonight

You’re a psychopath going back months / years to find quotes on Hawkins. The dude can’t dribble. Sorry you’re so offended but get over it.

Reaction Score
Lucky for you. None of the inane bs
Spoke too soon apparently, took me off ignore to do this. Was almost tempted to not put him on ignore and see how long he could go. What a loser

7936A2E9-744E-4137-BC58-27E3BBB70C91.jpeg

Reaction Score
A guard who has not yet shown he can defend on or off the ball or that he can beat anyone off the dribble is not screaming first round pick. Yet. NBA release for sure and plenty to be excited about. But it was about 20 minutes of play against a mid-major team at home. Enjoy the season and see how he and AJ and Sanogo develop

Reaction Score
Hawk is NBA bound after the year barring any injury. UNCW is the true 1st game for him, and he worked hard to shake off rusts. A missed dunk here and a botched fast break dribble out of baseline. It’s called rust. The second rep yielded better results. A thunderous throw down by him from AJ pass and a shifty dribble and step back and corner 3. I see huge improvement in shooting, dribbling and confidence (body language much better after missed shots or bad plays), all three areas.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
He definitely has more Ray Allen in his game than Jeremy Lamb or Donyell Marshall that Donny compared him to in one game. Donny comes up with some weird stuff in games including talking about people's hair and the banks being closed in Storrs.
Last game was the first time I've ever muted a UConn BB game. Donny and Fanta were just non-stop trying to out talk each other, with mostly random crap.

Reaction Score
Real ones would dress up as a hawk and flap wings all game like they do down in St. Joes
1668958972107.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The one area most would agree Hawkins needs to get better at is dribbling. Not a reach to say that.

It's also true that dribbling for a 2G is less and less a priority to play at the next level. Tyrese Martin is proof of that.

Everyone would agree if Hawkins became more effective at taking his man off the dribble, it would make this year's team even more versatile and dangerous.

Reaction Score
Hawk ain't ready for an NBA pick, which is great for us.
The NBA draft is about potential not performance. That's why most first round picks are 20 years of age or younger. So while we may want Hawk to be be better at some aspect of his game, that really has little or no impact on how the league sees the player.

Reaction Score
Hawk is NBA bound after the year barring any injury. UNCW is the true 1st game for him, and he worked hard to shake off rusts. A missed dunk here and a botched fast break dribble out of baseline. It’s called rust. The second rep yielded better results. A thunderous throw down by him from AJ pass and a shifty dribble and step back and corner 3. I see huge improvement in shooting, dribbling and confidence (body language much better after missed shots or bad plays), all three areas.
Bingo, well said. He looks like a guy who knows it’s his team along with Sanogo and Jackson. What a massive step forward in confidence, and that, in my opinion, is what was going to be key for him to take that next step. I have no doubt that Hurley and staff had him work on basketball skills like the dribbling since last year, but the confidence part was on Hawk, and so far he took a massive step there. Very encouraging to see that performance.

Reaction Score
Bingo, well said. He looks like a guy who knows it’s his team along with Sanogo and Jackson. What a massive step forward in confidence, and that, in my opinion, is what was going to be key for him to take that next step. I have no doubt that Hurley and staff had him work on basketball skills like the dribbling since last year, but the confidence part was on Hawk, and so far he took a massive step there. Very encouraging to see that performance.
I agree that confidence and the ability to shake off failure is big. NBA guards can create their own shot anytime they like, they look for contact going to the hole. I don’t think he’s there yet, we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Vecenie and his new podmate Box and 1 guy Coach Spins watched the UNCW game and briefly talked about Hawkins and Jackson on latest pod episode (they didn't watch Del St but had the box scores). Mentioned Jackson's passing but then gushed about his defensive effort in that game, one of the better defensive tapes he'll see all year. Pretty much just said Hawkins was on fire. Vecenie moved Hawkins from beginning of round 2 to the 20s last mock he did in late October based on practice intel and they basically said they were glad to have bought stock early.

No mention of anyone else on the team for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom