Enjoy Hawkins while you can! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Enjoy Hawkins while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to clarify. He could be ready by season end. His defense looks good except for the hand checking fouls and I love to see some mid range pull ups and aggressive moves to the rim to go along with the 3’s. Richard Hamilton was a moving machine when he did not have the ball which freed him up, he had that motor. Hawk needs to show some of that but if he averages like 12 points a game does he go in the first round?
I agree. I hate the analogy of the ball is on the tee but I think it fits here with Hawkins this year. He has to avoid injuries, get his points each game, and put together some special highlight things this year in order to jump up to a lottery pick. He’s got the tools and the supporting cast. People can argue that he could be a lottery based on potential but IMO he’s got to help himself with showing off that potential and can’t afford a quiet season. I will enjoy watching him this year. Seems like a pretty decent kid.

Reaction Score
I would like to clarify. He could be ready by season end. His defense looks good except for the hand checking fouls and I love to see some mid range pull ups and aggressive moves to the rim to go along with the 3’s. Richard Hamilton was a moving machine when he did not have the ball which freed him up, he had that motor. Hawk needs to show some of that but if he averages like 12 points a game does he go in the first round?

12ppg or 20ppg isn't really going to be the biggest factor that affects his draft status. Defense and shooting %. If he can average 40% from 3 on 12ppg with the amount of attempts he's been taking, he's gone.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We won’t know until the tournaments. Hell Stix could’ve been a first rounder after the tournament in 2009. Jeremy Lamb got lottery noise in 2011 because of his play.

So this early season stuff doesn’t matter much. When he’s had games he’s actually played in he’s scored an effortless 15 points anyways. Don’t let him start off hot, he’ll drop an easy 30.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing limiting Hawkins right now is using his hands too much on defense in obvious spots in front of refs.
Agree. He also gets in his head when things don’t go his way. Against Iowa State Hurley tried to get him started with early looks. I wonder if it would be better to run those, maybe, six possessions in, so that he has an opportunity to get into the flow of the game before shooting.

Reaction Score
I've completely changed my POV on Hawkins. He has a very quick and NBA ready shot. His % will go up as he gains more confidence. He has the game for the NBA. He also finishes well around the rim, hits free throws, etc.

Reaction Score
I've completely changed my POV on Hawkins. He has a very quick and NBA ready shot. His % will go up as he gains more confidence. He has the game for the NBA. He also finishes well around the rim, hits free throws, etc.

He doesn’t finish well consistently at all around the rim. He has had some beauties but he’s had a bunch of weak efforts as well. This seems to be for now, the weakest part of his game. Needs to get the shooting percentage back up too and I think he will.

Reaction Score

updated this morning:

37. Hawkins
44. AJ

Sanogo has looked more NBA ready than AJ...would prefer Sanogo getting drafted and AJ coming back for his senior season to work on his shooting/finishing and then becoming a first rounder.

Reaction Score
Just having fun here - if none of our “big 3” get drafted then our lineup next year is just stupidly unfair.

PG - Castle/Diarra
SG - Hawkins/Ball
SF - Andre/Stewart/Ross
PF - Karaban/Samson
C - Sanogo/Clingan/Singare

Reaction Score
Agree. He also gets in his head when things don’t go his way. Against Iowa State Hurley tried to get him started with early looks. I wonder if it would be better to run those, maybe, six possessions in, so that he has an opportunity to get into the flow of the game before shooting.
I couldn’t disagree more with this. I stated earlier that his biggest improvement has been his confidence and not getting down on himself. Last year you could see him with his head down and he became almost useless when he got in that mode. This year he has red in his eyes and will continue shooting even if he misses his first 9 shots, without any hesitation too. That is an absolutely very difficult thing to teach, and you can clearly see that he has embraced that he is the most talented on the team and that he has the ultimate green light no matter what. Hopefully this translates well to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Just having fun here - if none of our “big 3” get drafted then our lineup next year is just stupidly unfair.
i think AJ is the only one of the big3 with a shot at coming back, and if not we have to hit the portal for a starting wing. i'm also worried about Samson. He was supposed to be the starting PF until he got hurt but given karaban's play i'll be surprised if he reclaims that spot. unfortunately i'll be even more surprised if he agrees to come off the bench as a junior...

Castle-Diarra
???- Ball
Stewart-Ross
Karaban-Hasson
Clingan-Singare

Last edited:
Reaction Score

PG - Castle/Diarra
SG - Hawkins/Ball
SF - Andre/Stewart/Ross
PF - Karaban/Samson
C - Sanogo/Clingan/Singare
Just having fun here.. Assumption is that Newton and Alleyne will not use their extra year??

Reaction Score
Terrific insights here. And with real conviction by some. Who knew so many NBA scouts and executives post on the Boneyard?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I couldn’t disagree more with this. I stated earlier that his biggest improvement has been his confidence and not getting down on himself. Last year you could see him with his head down and he became almost useless when he got in that mode. This year he has red in his eyes and will continue shooting even if he misses his first 9 shots, without any hesitation too. That is an absolutely very difficult thing to teach, and you can clearly see that he has embraced that he is the most talented on the team and that he has the ultimate green light no matter what. Hopefully this translates well to the NBA.
I like your take better, so I hope you’re right.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t finish well consistently at all around the rim. He has had some beauties but he’s had a bunch of weak efforts as well. This seems to be for now, the weakest part of his game. Needs to get the shooting percentage back up too and I think he will.

He had a very nice finish in the Bama game and his only bucket in the Iowa St game was a good take. He’s a shooter first second and third but he has driven the ball better this year without all the turnovers we saw last season. Imo

Reaction Score
i think AJ is the only one of the big3 with a shot at coming back, and if not we have to hit the portal for a starting wing. i'm also worried about Samson. He was supposed to be the starting PF until he got hurt but given karaban's play i'll be surprised if he reclaims that spot. unfortunately i'll be even more surprised if he agrees to come off the bench as a junior...

Castle-Diarra
???- Ball
Stewart-Ross
Karaban-Hasson
Clingan-Singare
Stewart can start as a freshman imo.

Reaction Score
The best ability is availability. He has to ensure he's on the court 25+ min a game

Reaction Score

Castle-Diarra
???- Ball
Stewart-Ross
Karaban-Hasson
Clingan-Singare
I can't imagine Jackson leaving early. I love his game, but there is virtually nothing the NBA wants that he does on a consistent basis. And please, don't tell me "defense".

Reaction Score
Too dependent on shooting 3s....and I realize I am being a little critical of a guy shooting nearly 50% from the floor. I hope he drives to rim and shoot the occasional pull-up.

I am afraid to admit how good this team is thus far. But damn I love it!

Reaction Score
he's a pro.

still needs to work on the handle and strength to finish through contact, but he's a great defender and an elite shooter off of movement. special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom