End the grand experiment - Please? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

End the grand experiment - Please?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Geno won't do this and I probably wouldn't either, however I'd like to see someone jump out of a plane without a parachute. They'd probably splat on the ground, but maybe if we gave them enough time and they flapped their arms enough, they would fly.

Head bang

Damn people, some of ya'll do make my head hurt.
Well stated but I am sure that many will continue to disagree with you.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
No you dont have to but who are you to question what other people say on here! Sure question what there saying or disagree with them but dont put them down!

I only stay in Hiltons!
Fine.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...caveat that Irwin should probably flare instead of roll since shooting 3's is more in her wheelhouse...
...the fact the half court offense runs better with Irwin than with Makurat or Griffin.....

A starter that averaged 24 minutes these past 3 games; and, produced ZERO points in those 74 minutes.

Slow of foot, can't defend down low (no hops), can't defend at the perimeter (immobile), no offensive game.

BTW - she doesn't roll nor flare as she simply turns around and sets the pick for the reverse dribble. Which is the prime reason why the motion offense bogs down.

Given all those negatives, you think she should get those minutes because she sets a bunch of picks.

Respectfully; BUT, Seriously?

Reaction Score
Mark my words-- the proof is not always in the pudding. People should sit back and find reasons to enjoy the games. I have chosen a long time ago not to second a coach- and Geno in particular. If I were to make a guess, I would argue that this is not a championship team. And were they to lose at S. Carolina, it is hard to see where the improvement would come to bring forth another outcome in the Tour. For one, the field has improved so much that none of the top teams can win by relying or playing 4/3 against 5. Teams like Baylor are not only athletic (more than Uconn) but are well skilled, and they have replacements of various status. I really doubt that the Uconn coaches were caught off guard-- although they have never been a football hold kind of program.
Secondly, in some strange way the current player-type do not fit what I would take to be the typical Uconn player. As players, I do not have the sense that they can play faster than what we are seeing. I think this might be the reason so many have talked-up Aubrey. She moves and do not mind playing in traffic. CW can too, but prefers to have the ball. Megan is, in my view, a player that does not "hunt" shots and do not run-a-around. She is very competent, but she does not or cannot create for others. She has an outside shot, can put the ball on the floor and drive, she needs to play as KLS did in opening the defense. Instead, she holds the ball and survey then act.
It will be interesting to see how things get fleshed out. Crystal and Irwin are seniors with ambition to play further. For Crystal, he will have to find rest for her, and extend her playing time into the tourney to improve her lottery. For Irwin, starting or substantial playing time will help her find a spot over seas. Geno has been dedicated to his players in putting them in a position to reach their goal.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
My eyes see Aubrey as ultimately the best player on the team. 5 Aubreys would win the super bowl!!!

Welcome to the funny farm, buzzsaw.

image.jpeg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A starter that averaged 24 minutes these past 3 games; and, produced ZERO points in those 74 minutes.
And the 3 games before that she had 17 points and 7 assists in 66 minutes. Yea, she's in a bit of a slump right now, that she needs to get out of.

BTW - she doesn't roll nor flare as she simply turns around and sets the pick for the reverse dribble. Which is the prime reason why the motion offense bogs down.
True she needs to roll or flare more (or at all). And shoot when she's open. But her setting picks is NOT (repeat NOT, cause you don't seem to be able to understand) why the offense is bogging down. In fact when she is in there setting picks the offense runs better than when she is not in there. That's just the way it IS right now.

Given all those negatives, you think she should get those minutes because she sets a bunch of picks.
I (and Geno seems to agree) think she should get those minutes because the offense (which we're having lots of trouble with this year) runs better when she is in the game. I'm sure Geno wishes he had other options or that the offense would run better with a player who can score or rebound more. But at this point in the season, this is what he's got.

Both Makurat and Griffin would seem to have a lot more upside. Unfortunately at this present time, the offense isn't working as well with them in the game. Especially ( and this is important) in slow down, beat 'em up, half court games. Like Memphis was and UCF is probably gonna be.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty harsh assessment and quite frankly it's wrong. Kyla has played some fine games this season. Of late, she has struggled somewhat. As far as the 5th starter is concerned, there is no other player on the team that has demonstrated a level of consistency that clearly justifies playing them over Kyla. Anna is close, and the time may be at hand to insert her back in the lineup. But Anna will also make mistakes as freshmen do. This will be a season long challenge for Geno and the team.
I hate to join in this sometimes overly emotional conversation, but....Dude captures my thoughts as well. Today, Geno is able to build a game plan that includes Kyla as a starter. Her level of consistent play today is also at her upside, skill wise. Anna has been inconsistent but seems limited today more by confidence As he has done in many seasons, likely Geno has a better idea of what he needs for the season's success and will begin making changes.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

Look meyers7, you make some valid points. I don't "usually" get into a back and forth - simply giving my take on some aspects of a game or trends.

Anyway, in contested games (Baylor, Tennessee, S Car, NCAA Tournament) Kyla Irwin will get walk on minutes, that's a given. Although, possibly not in the big OOC games vs S. Car and Tennessee.

In this moment, Geno is dangling those non productive Irwin minutes to entice:
1) Anna to win some of those minutes by dropping 7+ points a game.
2) Aubrey to win some of those minutes by either getting put-back points or kicking the ball out, as she has been winning some offensive boards, impressively.

Sans neither of those happening, goodbye even elite 8....

Sooo - it's a waiting/balancing game for Geno....luckily he has all of the remaining AAC games to extract what he can from those two. Either way - come NCAA tournament time there will be big changes in minutes played by Kyla, Anna and Aubrey. Take that to the bank, as it were :)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Anyway, in contested games (Baylor, Tennessee, S Car, NCAA Tournament) Kyla Irwin will get walk on minutes, that's a given. Although, possibly not in the big OOC games vs S. Car and Tennessee.

Sans neither of those happening, goodbye even elite 8....
? We already played Baylor and Irwin already played starter's minutes in that game. Am I missing something?

Something you are overlooking (if already pointed out I missed it) is how Irwin has taken over Samuelson's role of pointing and telling her teammates where to go. Presumably if she did not do this they would stand around even more than they currently do. I find it disturbing that Irwin needs to do that, but no way can Makurat or Griffin assume that role as freshmen.

I do not know what the +/- are for the three players in question, but if you live in Connecticut I offer you one of my usual pizza bets, with something added. If we find out that, since she has been starting, Irwin's +/- is higher than the other two, you refrain from your dismissal of Irwin for the rest of the season, plus you pay for the pizza we split. If Makurat's or Griffin's is higher I won't question any of your posts again and pay for the pizza.

I see us as one of the best eight teams and making the Elite Eight no matter what happens here on out. Based on what data do you think we are not one of the eight best teams?

Reaction Score
Do we not remember what Anna looked like as a starter? Here's a refresher:

Anna - 4 starts - 21% fg, 12% 3fg, 3ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.5 apg OR
Kyla - 11 starts - 44% fg, 42% 3fg, 2.7ppg, 3.18 rpg, 2.54 apg

Right now, theres is no better alternative.

Reaction Score
All this worrying about stats and starters is great for conversation but ultimately isn't going to matter at all. This team has shown what they are and change will be minimal. They can't run offense against tough, physical defense and they're undersized and soft in the paint with no interior defense other than ONO. Auriemma knows it and that's why he's so frustrated.

Reaction Score
Geno, in one post game interview said, it's not fair that Kyla has to play 30 minutes. She is not a 30 minute player. But Geno believes no one else is stepping up. I thought that was kinda a left handed compliment for Kyla. She is trying as hard as she can. Any way, this is how Geno sees it, and he is around his players a lot more than we are. Plus he has input from his assistants, who I'm sure would offer their advice if they felt someone else should be playing instead of Kyla.

You really believe what you just said.

Reaction Score
Anna should start but Geno has stated that he likes her off the bench and some players do respond to that role. Kyla gets the nod until Griffin finds her grove. She hasn’t yet, but I think she will. Then Kyla will lose minutes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't watched any of AAC games, Irwin might be fine in those. Against Baylor and Tennessee she just looked completely outmatched and ineffective. Griifin turned the tide of the Tenn. game with her energy. What do I know, but I think the future is now and Griffin and Makurat should both be getting more minutes and Irwin less.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I haven't watched any of AAC games, Irwin might be fine in those. Against Baylor and Tennessee she just looked completely outmatched and ineffective. Griifin turned the tide of the Tenn. game with her energy. What do I know, but I think the future is now and Griffin and Makurat should both be getting more minutes and Irwin less.
Aubrey has been slow to develop and makes mistakes on the court. Don't get me wrong - she's improving in bunches. Anna is much more consistent, even if her shot is off, and it's been on lately. But I think Geno likes Kyla's experience and steadying influence.

Not saying I agree necessarily, with him, but I'm not sure I see it changing this year... We will see... He surprised me with his starters for the 2nd half so who knows?!!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not saying I agree necessarily, with him, but I'm not sure I see it changing this year... We will see... He surprised me with his starters for the 2nd half so who knows?!!

And look what happened, Q3 was all UConn.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think Geno has a pretty good grip on how to bring young players along. I, for one, will defer to his judgement.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kyla starting wasn’t an experiment. No one stepped up early in the season and Geno needed someone with size to start alongside his sophomore center. Kyla has limitations, yes, but she played really well in several games and did the best she could. Is it time to start one of the freshmen? Maybe, but Kyla deserves credit for doing whatever she could to the best of her ability. She was the lead cheerleader on the bench at tonight’s game and I feel that shows how much she values the team first

Well done, Kyla, well done!

Reaction Score
I think Geno has a pretty good grip on how to bring young players along. I, for one, will defer to his judgement.
Or defer to Big Micks’. Aren’t we convinced Geno reads the boneyard ;)

Reaction Score
Kyla starting wasn’t an experiment. No one stepped up early in the season and Geno needed someone with size to start alongside his sophomore center. Kyla has limitations, yes, but she played really well in several games and did the best she could. Is it time to start one of the freshmen? Maybe, but Kyla deserves credit for doing whatever she could to the best of her ability. She was the lead cheerleader on the bench at tonight’s game and I feel that shows how much she values the team first

Well done, Kyla, well done!
I don’t think people who are in the camp that Geno should end the experiment doesn’t see the improvement kyla has made this year and how well she played for a good stretch of the year. Her effort and leadership as a teammate is second to none. What many of us were trying to convey is that there’s a higher ceiling with AG and AM and at some point it’s time to give the reigns to the better player, not the most experienced because to get to the finish line or at least have a shot we all agree we need Aubrey and Anna to be the big contributors. It’s probably true that the timing of this transition can be debated (as the boneyard has already) but it’s getting agonizingly close to that time and Geno probably hinted at such tonight.
As much as I’d love to see Kylas individual success because she serves it, but on the other hand aren’t we supposed wish for what’s best for the team at this point. Best possible potential UCONN team on the court includes more Anna and more AB and little less Kyla.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom