End the grand experiment - Please? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

End the grand experiment - Please?

Reaction Score
I don’t think people who are in the camp that Geno should end the experiment doesn’t see the improvement kyla has made this year and how well she played for a good stretch of the year. Her effort and leadership as a teammate is second to none. What many of us were trying to convey is that there’s a higher ceiling with AG and AM and at some point it’s time to give the reigns to the better player, not the most experienced because to get to the finish line or at least have a shot we all agree we need Aubrey and Anna to be the big contributors. It’s probably true that the timing of this transition can be debated (as the boneyard has already) but it’s getting agonizingly close to that time and Geno probably hinted at such tonight.
As much as I’d love to see Kylas individual success because she serves it, but on the other hand aren’t we supposed wish for what’s best for the team at this point. Best possible potential UCONN team on the court includes more Anna and more AB and little less Kyla.
17-1, and you’re complaining?

Reaction Score
Irwin shouldnt be starting against good teams. No disrespect, but she was mainly responsible for the team getting in an early 8 point hole in the 1st 5 minutes, which set the tone for the rest of the half. Just too small (against bigs) & slow to compete on both sides of the ball against top competition. Give her the minutes in blowouts and AAC games, but Anna/AG are needed against the good teams.

Reaction Score
Didn’t meaN for it to be complaining but to provide my opinion on a much talked about topic. And if you’ve read the numerous post-game posts you will see that this topic has been discussed at length with much divisiveness. HuskyNan has been greatly supportive of Kyla, which is great, but there’s also the view that we can support Kyla and still be able to critique her and the team because ultimately many of us LOVE the program. Im sorry that the post offended you but before you reprimand a fellow poster have a more thoughtful response, it would add more value to the discussion.

You can be the nicest, hardest working, and best teammate in the world, but like any sport people look for results and over the last several games Kylas results haven’t been at the level we would like. Therefore if you have options to improve why wouldn’t we discuss here. Ultimately Geno will run his team the way he wants, but we as fans can have our voice here in the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Didn’t meaN for it to be complaining but to provide my opinion on a much talked about topic. And if you’ve read the numerous post-game posts you will see that this topic has been discussed at length with much divisiveness. HuskyNan has been greatly supportive of Kyla, which is great, but there’s also the view that we can support Kyla and still be able to critique her and the team because ultimately many of us LOVE the program. Im sorry that the post offended you but before you reprimand a fellow poster have a more thoughtful response, it would add more value to the discussion.

You can be the nicest, hardest working, and best teammate in the world, but like any sport people look for results and over the last several games Kylas results haven’t been at the level we would like. Therefore if you have options to improve why wouldn’t we discuss here. Ultimately Geno will run his team the way he wants, but we as fans can have our voice here in the boneyard.

I didn't view your post as a complaint...quite the opposite in fact. I, too, love watching Kyla and I feel that up until tonight, she was the best choice for the overall offense. After the TN game, AG and AM may have the confidence needed to steal that starting role.

Reaction Score
Not to pick on Irwin; but, the numbers from these last 3 games
1) Baylor................. Minutes 32 Points 0 Rebounds 2
2) Houston............ Minutes 18 Points 0 Rebounds 3
3) Memphis.......... Minutes 24 Points 0 Rebounds 4

Running around setting picks only disrupts ball movement, which is UCONN's bread and butter.

Were you pondering why everyone seems to be standing around? Well, they they are watching the ball handler trying desperately to use these multiple picks that never seem to quite work and the clock runs down.....

Anyone seriously disagreeing, do tell.
I’ve said it several times already. Irwin could probably for a few of those AAC teams but she doesn’t have the skill set to play against better players on better teams. All she does is set screens and pass the ball off. She seems afraid to shoot against good teams. Aubrey is a much better all around player. Give her the minutes so she can continue to improve.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here's the bottom line for all of this - Geno is the head coach and Geno decides.

Now you may not like that statement and that's fine. But its reality. Frankly, Anna and Aubrey coming off the bench to supply the spark and energy makes sense. Last night's game was a perfect example.

Enjoy the win and enjoy how these talented young ladies are growing and developing in all aspects of life.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Irwin shouldnt be starting against good teams. No disrespect, but she was mainly responsible for the team getting in an early 8 point hole in the 1st 5 minutes, which set the tone for the rest of the half. Just too small (against bigs) & slow to compete on both sides of the ball against top competition. Give her the minutes in blowouts and AAC games, but Anna/AG are needed against the good teams.
You make an interesting point. Does having her in make for slow starts even against over-matched teams? Against Tulsa, no one was going to stop the UCONN steamroll, but...

UCONN was tied with UCF at the end of the first quarter. Kyla played for 7-8 minutes there. Granted the entire team struggled, but we won because we had a monster 2nd quarter when Kyla was on the bench.

Against Memphis we got down 8-2. We were actually down 21-15 at the end of Q1 with Kyla in most of the quarter.

But against Houston, we won Q1 25-2.

Not sure there is enough evidence one way or the other. I agree against good teams, she will be a liability. But against everyone else, Aubrey, and especially Anna, have thrived coming off the bench.

I suspect Geno will continue to start Kyla - but who knows? He surprised me by benching Kyla and Olivia in favor of Anna and Aubrey in the 2nd half vs. Tennessee. Geno made some terrific half time adjustments. Wonder what he said in the locker room!!

Reaction Score
Not to pick on Irwin; but, the numbers from these last 3 games
1) Baylor................. Minutes 32 Points 0 Rebounds 2
2) Houston............ Minutes 18 Points 0 Rebounds 3
3) Memphis.......... Minutes 24 Points 0 Rebounds 4

Running around setting picks only disrupts ball movement, which is UCONN's bread and butter.

Were you pondering why everyone seems to be standing around? Well, they they are watching the ball handler trying desperately to use these multiple picks that never seem to quite work and the clock runs down.....

Anyone seriously disagreeing, do tell.
I'm always amazed at how easy it is to creticize Geno. TRUST TO COACH!. How many all americans do you think are on the team? When one of the freshmen is ready to start Geno will start her.

Reaction Score
Look meyers7, you make some valid points. I don't "usually" get into a back and forth - simply giving my take on some aspects of a game or trends.

Anyway, in contested games (Baylor, Tennessee, S Car, NCAA Tournament) Kyla Irwin will get walk on minutes, that's a given. Although, possibly not in the big OOC games vs S. Car and Tennessee.

In this moment, Geno is dangling those non productive Irwin minutes to entice:
1) Anna to win some of those minutes by dropping 7+ points a game.
2) Aubrey to win some of those minutes by either getting put-back points or kicking the ball out, as she has been winning some offensive boards, impressively.

Sans neither of those happening, goodbye even elite 8....

Sooo - it's a waiting/balancing game for Geno....luckily he has all of the remaining AAC games to extract what he can from those two. Either way - come NCAA tournament time there will be big changes in minutes played by Kyla, Anna and Aubrey. Take that to the bank, as it were :)
Right now Anna has been dishing to Aubrey for twos. When that switches around with kickbacks to Anna for threes...oh, boy! And I note both made an immediate play on entering the game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
They both have very bright futures as Husky Heros!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom