End the grand experiment - Please? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

End the grand experiment - Please?

Reaction Score
I'm not taking a stance on the main question, but I will say that setting picks is definitely *not* the thing that disrupts ball movement. The worst moments are those when all 4 players without the ball are just standing there watching the ball-handler. Setting screens (whether on or off ball) is in theory a good way to create positive motion of players and ball. But of course the catch is that the screener has to set a *good* screen, the player screened for has to *use the screen well*, and the rest of the team needs to play well off the ball screen action.
To me it looks like the current starting five do not trust each other. Megan NEVER passes to Kyla no matter how open. CD seems to shoot out of desperation when the movement stalls. CW is the only fearless player but disappears. Megan is talented but not clutch. ONO only starts because there's no alternative. The team is good but not great. We knew this before the season started. In a perverse way the Stewie years spoiled us to think we could always win and play pretty ball as well. They have lost 1 game. A one point win counts as much as a 40 point win. Enjoy the competition and look forward to the future.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
You aren't a fan of ball screens. Got it.

I love those 4, 5, 6 passes and then that open shot followed by a glorious Swish!!!!!

Reaction Score
To me it looks like the current starting five do not trust each other. Megan NEVER passes to Kyla no matter how open. CD seems to shoot out of desperation when the movement stalls. CW is the only fearless player but disappears. Megan is talented but not clutch. ONO only starts because there's no alternative. The team is good but not great. We knew this before the season started. In a perverse way the Stewie years spoiled us to think we could always win and play pretty ball as well. They have lost 1 game. A one point win counts as much as a 40 point win. Enjoy the competition and look forward to the future.
Sad but true. Every team has an off year, as they say in South Bend.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yea, "but" you are.

Ummm, no. Like completely no. Like, that's 100% the opposite of how it actually works (or is supposed to work). UCONN's offense is predicated on picks. Hard picks and hard cuts off those picks. Without them, there is no bread and butter.

Yea, they should not be standing around watching Irwin set picks. They should be also setting picks and cutting off those picks. I'll agree the rest of the team is not really doing that. Or at least enough of it.

Yea, and there you go. You're basically 180 out of phase with how the offense is supposed to work.

Now, Irwin needs to do more than set picks. She also needs to roll of them or probably better, flare off them. She also needs to take and make the shots when she's open.

As poorly as the offense runs sometimes, it runs better when Irwin is out there. Hence why she is starting.

Markurat give you more scoring, but the offense doesn't run quite as well.

Griffin gives you more athleticism, better rebounding, She's helpful in an open floor up and down game. BUT, in a half court game (like last night), Griffin is pretty detrimental to running a half court offense at this point.
Thanks @meyers7 for saving me the trouble of typing this all out.

One addition, You play the best team. Anna has abilities, Aubrey has abilities, Kyla makes the team better than either of them. I didn't say that, Geno did.

Reaction Score
Again, YOU know how to coach the players he has better than Geno. Unbelievable. But keep trying to convince us of your Greatness Of All Time. It is your right to do here on the BY.
Have you ever played the game, coach, scouted or worked out players?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Have you ever played the game, coach, scouted or worked out players?
Yes.
Does that allow me to continually harp on the things that I know Geno is doing wrong, game in and game out. Don't know, but being on the BY allows me to do that, because that is what the BY is for.

And I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express while doing them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Megan NEVER passes to Kyla no matter how open.

Really? NEVER? You must be channeling Geno and exaggerate to make a point or I guess I must have been watching a different team yesterday during this play

Reaction Score
Really? NEVER? You must be channeling Geno and exaggerate to make a point or I guess I must have been watching a different team yesterday during this play

One of those, guess which one

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno, in one post game interview said, it's not fair that Kyla has to play 30 minutes. She is not a 30 minute player. But Geno believes no one else is stepping up. I thought that was kinda a left handed compliment for Kyla. She is trying as hard as she can. Any way, this is how Geno sees it, and he is around his players a lot more than we are. Plus he has input from his assistants, who I'm sure would offer their advice if they felt someone else should be playing instead of Kyla.

Reaction Score
Not to pick on Irwin; but, the numbers from these last 3 games
1) Baylor................. Minutes 32 Points 0 Rebounds 2
2) Houston............ Minutes 18 Points 0 Rebounds 3
3) Memphis.......... Minutes 24 Points 0 Rebounds 4

Running around setting picks only disrupts ball movement, which is UCONN's bread and butter.

Were you pondering why everyone seems to be standing around? Well, they they are watching the ball handler trying desperately to use these multiple picks that never seem to quite work and the clock runs down.....

Anyone seriously disagreeing, do tell.
No assists?

Reaction Score
Not to pick on Irwin; but, the numbers from these last 3 games
1) Baylor................. Minutes 32 Points 0 Rebounds 2
2) Houston............ Minutes 18 Points 0 Rebounds 3
3) Memphis.......... Minutes 24 Points 0 Rebounds 4

Running around setting picks only disrupts ball movement, which is UCONN's bread and butter.

Were you pondering why everyone seems to be standing around? Well, they they are watching the ball handler trying desperately to use these multiple picks that never seem to quite work and the clock runs down.....

Anyone seriously disagreeing, do tell.
I have been saying that for awhile ! Irwin must be Geno's favorite player. We are playing 4 on 5.

Reaction Score
Agreed. If one remembers, one of the prettiest teams we ever had (for running offense) was the 13-14 season (40-0) with the second highest Assists ever (850). That team had a player who was known for setting picks (arguably illegal on occasion), one Ms. Stephanie Dolson.

Yea, you need picks to run this offense. Maybe @Big Mick wasn't around then.
There’s a difference between Dolson setting licks and Irwin. Yes they are setting picks but the big in the high post also can roll and be an option for a mid range or slide to the basket. What Irwin does now is less effective because teams can scout that away by going harder around the screens and not worrying about Kyla as an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
Let me try this "one" :) last time:

UCONN's game is based on continuous movement. Within that movement they try to pick-off their defender using any player (teammate or opponent) on the floor. Until recently, they were not a team that dribbles back and forth around the 3 point line trying to use one of those picks to get a shot. Noooo, previously they created open shots with ball movement. For Christ sake, Geno wants them to "READ" and "REACT".

And so, what happens: When Irwin is in the game, all of the above goes out the window as the ball handler (be it Dangerfield, Williams or Walker) works diligently to use those picks; meanwhile, the other three stand around waiting for something to react to. And then, as the clocks runs down (sometimes out) we end up with a not very good shot.

Bad idea, get rid of.
I’m seeing the same thing BigMick. In my other lost I also point out that Kyla and Dolson setting picks is not the same. If Kyla cannot make the perfect pass each time or be a good enough offensive threat, setting picks isnt good enough to warrant a starting spot IMHO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has said a million times he won’t play someone unless he knows what he’ll get from her, presumably what she’s been showing him in practice. Geno knows what he’s getting from Kyla. Other players, especially streaky freshmen? Not so much

Reaction Score
Yes.
Does that allow me to continually harp on the things that I know Geno is doing wrong, game in and game out. Don't know, but being on the BY allows me to do that, because that is what the BY is for.

And I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express while doing them. :rolleyes:
No you dont have to but who are you to question what other people say on here! Sure question what there saying or disagree with them but dont put them down!

I only stay in Hiltons!

Reaction Score
Geno has said a million times he won’t play someone unless he knows what he’l Get from him, presumably what she’s been showing him in practice. Geno knows what he’s getting from Kyla. Other players, especially streaky freshmen? Not so much
In the last three games, Kyla took 7 shots in 74 minutes played. She has taken a total of 4 free throws this season in 306 minutes. She has taken a total of 10 shots inside the three-point line in all those minutes and presumably some of the those were probably put-backs off of missed shots. She cannot create and she rarely shoots. In those 306 minutes she has 1 block and 3 steals. It baffles me why she (and Molly, too) won't shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
Thanks @meyers7 for saving me the trouble of typing this all out.

One addition, You play the best team. Anna has abilities, Aubrey has abilities, Kyla makes the team better than either of them. I didn't say that, Geno did.
Geno said Irwin made the team move more in an interview in previous days before the game. Geno said after the game that Irwin hasn’t played as well in the last 2 to 3 weeks. Geno said he’s very happy with Ania now in the last two pressers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change in the lineup for UCF.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno, won't do this and probably if I was the Coach I wouldn't do it either. However, I would like to see Evelyn Adebayo get the start for three or four games to see if she can be the player she was last year. She would score at least as many points as Kyla does and IMO get more rebounds. This team needs more rebounding. I would start Evelyn against AAC teams and let her get 20+ minutes. The passing offense would probably suffer, but would get better the more Evelyn plays. Perhaps Evelyn is not a practice player, but if she got minutes she would get back to last years level.

When and If Batouly Camara is healthy, I immediately get her playing time to see if she can provide productive minutes. Highly unlikely that Camara will be a 20+ minute player, but if she can provide 8-10 minutes that would help.

Reaction Score
My eyes see Aubrey as ultimately the best player on the team. 5 Aubreys would win the super bowl!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There’s a difference between Dolson setting licks and Irwin.
Yes. Big difference. (hence why the offense ran so well during Dolson's reign). She is bigger, better shooter, better screener, better passer. She was an AA. However, that has nothing to do with my point for Mickey. He seems to think we don't need anyone to set picks to run offense. In fact, he has stated setting picks is detrimental to running UCONN's offense. Which is about the dumbest thing I've read on here in quite some time. I do hope you don't subscribe to Mickey's warped view.

Yes they are setting picks but the big in the high post also can roll and be an option for a mid range or slide to the basket. What Irwin does now is less effective because teams can scout that away by going harder around the screens and not worrying about Kyla as an offensive threat.
Yes, I stated as much (if you read what I wrote). Except I added in the caveat that Irwin should probably flare instead of roll since shooting 3's is more in her wheelhouse. But either way, she does need to be more of an offensive threat.

Still has nothing to do with the fact the half court offense runs better with Irwin than with Makurat or Griffin at this point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno, won't do this and probably if I was the Coach I wouldn't do it either. However, I would like to see Evelyn Adebayo get the start for three or four games to see if she can be the player she was last year. She would score at least as many points as Kyla does and IMO get more rebounds. This team needs more rebounding. I would start Evelyn against AAC teams and let her get 20+ minutes. The passing offense would probably suffer, but would get better the more Evelyn plays. Perhaps Evelyn is not a practice player, but if she got minutes she would get back to last years level.

When and If Batouly Camara is healthy, I immediately get her playing time to see if she can provide productive minutes. Highly unlikely that Camara will be a 20+ minute player, but if she can provide 8-10 minutes that would help.

Geno won't do this and I probably wouldn't either, however I'd like to see someone jump out of a plane without a parachute. They'd probably splat on the ground, but maybe if we gave them enough time and they flapped their arms enough, they would fly.

Head bang

Damn people, some of ya'll do make my head hurt.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My eyes see Aubrey as ultimately the best player on the team. 5 Aubreys would win the super bowl!!!
At present, 5 Aubrey’s would look like a fire drill on the court. If you don’t know where to go in the offense you can’t run offense.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
At present, 5 Aubrey’s would look like a Chinese fire drill on the court. If you don’t know where to go in the offense you can’t run offense.
I always enjoy the Chinese fire drill in the movies, I laugh and chuckle and chortle. :D

Reaction Score
Off-topic but since it's here - careful mates - there's nothing "Chinese" about the "fire drill" - it's based on a stereotype and its offensive (no I'm not Chinese and I'm not especially PC).

Check this piece from NPR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom