Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
True, GTown has an endowment others in the BE would be jealous of for sure. But if GTown really wanted to become big time they should have just gone after Pitino, who fall of his foibles, and he has a lot them, is an elite HOF coach. SuperJohn made that point above. Maybe GTown didn't want the image of Pitino being associated with GTown, but from a strictly basketball perspective paying Pitino $4M/year is better than paying Cooley $6M/year.
My gut says Georgetown is looking for a “certain type” of coach. Wink wink

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There a ton of posts from me about why I didn't think this would happen. End of the day it seems to be $ + a guy (and especially his wife) who have been in one place too long. Would be fine if he wasn't blowing smoke at everyone for the last few years. For everyone talking about chasing the spotlight, he will be vastly more anonymous in DC.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There a ton of posts from me about why I didn't think this would happen. End of the day it seems to be $ + a guy (and especially his wife) who have been in one place too long. Would be fine if he wasn't blowing smoke at everyone for the last few years. For everyone talking about chasing the spotlight, he will be vastly more anonymous in DC.
Anonymous in DC itself or anonymous in the media?

I agree for sure he’ll be able to walk around DC without a lot of people knowing who he is (which can have its perks). But as far as from a media standpoint he’ll get a lot more coverage.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anonymous in DC itself or anonymous in the media?

I agree for sure he’ll be able to walk around DC without a lot of people knowing who he is (which can have its perks). But as far as from a media standpoint he’ll get a lot more coverage.
Right. But he was such a local celeb in Providence. Just wondering if that got old based on his comments.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Corey Floyd Jr. taking an L so big you can see it from space.
He looked good in limited action this year. Hurley and him were chatting a couple weeks ago after the game. I thought it was soft for Floyd to leave, but depending on the number of open scholarships we end up with, I’d take him back.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He looked good in limited action this year. Hurley and him were chatting a couple weeks ago after the game. I thought it was soft for Floyd to leave, but depending on the number of open scholarships we end up with, I’d take him back.

That's a good point- DH and CF are still cool, so I do more feel bad for the kid. Needless to say, transferring there with Ed out the door while we may go to a FF...hasn't aged well.

Reaction Score
My gut says Georgetown is looking for a “certain type” of coach. Wink wink
It's no secret they are, the problem is that makes you seriously hamstrung because there just aren't that many good candidates out there that fit the bill which is too bad. It leaves you settling for Ed Cooley and paying him an absurd salary which is so far removed from reality in terms of what his resume should command.

Reaction Score
This will be 10x worse when Cooley scalps the Friars roster and brings Hopkins, Carter, Pierre, and Floyd with him to Washington.

Talk about scorched earth policy.
You'll probably see some movement, at the end of the day it's the kid's decision. Georgetown's roster needs some help if Cooley is going to turn things around next year. Kids usually go to a school like Providence to play for the coach, not the school, even though PC is a good school. I'd guess one or two kids move.

Reaction Score
Even Watson's dad feels bamboozled. Lol This was handled as poorly as can be. It's not that he's leaving. It's the way he did it. Comes off as a real phoney.

That's on him. Yesterday, Cooley went to G'Town, then gave a weird interview to RI local media from D.C. about needing a change, and then the very next morning, he put his house up for sale.

At some point, you should stop believing your source, and you should for sure stop acting like you have the inside scoop online.

Reaction Score
Danny Devito Smh GIF

Reaction Score
No need for Floyd at GTown. Gotta think Primo tries to stay, then you’ve got Primo, Murray, Carter as guards with Pierre and Breed as better options to follow. Floyd should stay and start and try to make a name for himself without competition

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm good thanks. He probably has enough talent to be here as a back of the rotation guard here that plays 5-10 minutes, but those guys are a dime a dozen, and I'd rather bring in someone that hasn't ditched us.

Reaction Score
That's on him. Yesterday, Cooley went to G'Town, then gave a weird interview to RI local media from D.C. about needing a change, and then the very next morning, he put his house up for sale.

At some point, you should stop believing your source, and you should for sure stop acting like you have the inside scoop online.
The contract to sell his house was signed on 3/3 or something, from what I saw somewhere, might have been a BS document, but if not, this has been in the works for a bit.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

His house has technically been on sale since March 3.

Reaction Score
No need for Floyd at GTown. Gotta think Primo tries to stay, then you’ve got Primo, Murray, Carter as guards with Pierre and Breed as better options to follow. Floyd should stay and start and try to make a name for himself without competition
Have that many players followed a coach before? Don't really keep up to date on that sort of thing but PC would be in absolute shambles if Carter Pierre and Breed all go.

Reaction Score
Have that many players followed a coach before? Don't really keep up to date on that sort of thing but PC would be in absolute shambles if Carter Pierre and Breed all go.
Yes, off the top of my head Dennis Gates took CSUs top 3 players and 3 others to Mizzou with him. And Rick will bring the star Iona guards with him too I’m sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom