Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, off the top of my head Dennis Gates took CSUs top 3 players and 3 others to Mizzou with him. And Rick will bring the star Iona guards with him too I’m sure
I also wonder what the current PC players think of how he handled the situation. Really seems like he gave up on the team in crunch time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Corey Floyd Jr. taking an L so big you can see it from space.
Corey: Coach, I want you to know you have my loyalty and I will 100% move with you to Georgetown!

1679342599792.png

“Yeah, about that…
.”

Reaction Score
The contract to sell his house was signed on 3/3 or something, from what I saw somewhere, might have been a BS document, but if not, this has been in the works for a bit.
His house has technically been on sale since March 3.

Fair. To be more clear, the news of his house going up for sale blew up on Twitter this morning.

Reaction Score
Doubt this one. Both brothers are extremely respectful of each other. No way Bobby would intrude on Danny's turf.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So, first, let me say, Cooley has, protestations to the contrary, handled his negotiation brilliantly. In my humble opinion, Georgetown is spending $6 million a year “not to suck”. That is what Ed Cooley brings.

But Slick Rick Pitino is no slouch at self promotion either. On one hand, he can take the Saint Johns job and get back to being a “high major” program without having to move. He saw that PC was prepared to pay Cooley $5 million. That’s likely to be more money (as in at least a couple of million more) than he would get at Saint Johns. He knows PC is stunned by Cooley’s departure and is scrambling to save face. He can hop in grab at least 5 million, and perhaps more, and look like a hero while he does it. Plus, he’s at an institution we’re even a moderate level of success allows him to Coach for as long as he wants.

This whole drama is shaping up to be really interesting. The problem is Georgetown and Providence College’s reckless spending has, de facto, raise the bar for coaches salaries in the conference. That’s a bad thing for Connecticut. Depending on how far Hurley goes in the tournament, we will probably have to deal with this new reality over the next few months.
Not just UConn. This has the potential to be a tidal wave in all conferences. And what happens if Georgetown lights a match to the real sleeping giant - the Ivy League.

I would hate to see what happens if and when they are spoken!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes you are a putz! (stated in a Bill Murray manner)

I really feel sorry for you. Cannot believe that with so many equal or better options Georgetown went this route. Did PC crap on their bed?

This is not the way!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Even Watson's dad feels bamboozled. Lol This was handled as poorly as can be. It's not that he's leaving. It's the way he did it. Comes off as a real phoney.
This is a close second to the way the Pittsburgh President treated the BE on their way out of it and into the ACC. At that time Georgetown and UConn acted the most nobly. This is a real head scratcher.

I have spoken!

Reaction Score
Doubt this one. Both brothers are extremely respectful of each other. No way Bobby would intrude on Danny's turf.

People keep calling for this like it is a positive thing like calling for playing Clingan and Sanogo together for long stretches. We don't want Bobby in our conference. I think UConn's coach has made it pretty clear he doesn't want Bobby in our conference. I don't think Bobby wants Bobby in our conference.

MJ1

Reaction Score
My gut says Georgetown is looking for a “certain type” of coach. Wink wink
That certain type of coach is someone who loved the Thompson family and the Georgetown way. Good hire, overpaid him, but can afford it,

Reaction Score
I Can not respect the way Cooley did it but I think he knows that he simply can not get the talent in Providence to compete with UCONN, Nova, Marquette, Xavier and Creighton. He sees the writing on the wall and does not want to be fighting for left overs and reclamation projects going forward. Georgetown is his only chance of competing regularly at the top of the conference because they can attract top talent. He did it the wrong way but can you blame him. He sees what’s coming.

Reaction Score
Newport National while not as famous is probably a nicer and more exclusive club. Would think he has no problem getting in there
I’ve never played either and I doubt he’s making his decision based on golf, but I’ve not seen Newport national listed in the top 100 courses. Winged Foot is top 15 and he’s a drive away from Pine Valley, Baltusrol, Shinnecok and more.

When St John’s is good they get a ton of press in NYC. I’m sure Rick will get plenty of love in NY. and probably a table at Rao’s

Reaction Score
It's one thing to leave for another league and poach your players BuT... bring them to play against and BEAT your former team? Yikes.
I guess we can stop treating him like a freaking saint as everyone has been. Announcers at games have made me sick going on endlessly about how great Ed Cooley is for his school and kids. Nauseating.

Reaction Score
Jared Bynum has now entered the portal. I think most PC fans wanted him gone anyways but with the Dual decommit, and now Bynum opting to play elsewhere, this roster is in potentially dire position

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
no i guess I didn't. I don't know if we've ever seen the instant birth of an incredibly hateful rivalry like this before... how often does it happen overnight? Georgetown probably went from something like 9th place to first.

Reaction Score
I feel badly/sad for them but the Providence board is hilarious. They went from talking about Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens, and Rick Pitino as their next coach to Kim English and God Shammgod as their next coach.

Someone started a thread about where is Val Ackerman, like she was going to stop this from happening.

Reaction Score
That certain type of coach is someone who loved the Thompson family and the Georgetown way. Good hire, overpaid him, but can afford it,
True but he did not handle this well and destroyed a school for a while. Zero class. Pitino handled it appropriately with a proper good bye.

Reaction Score

I have heard the family has agreed to never have them in the same conference. Imagine 2-3 games annually against each other. Bobby would have been perfect for Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom