Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He’s been asked multiple times and that’s always his answer.

I still think Pitino would prefer Providence. Less pressure, but the golf courses aren’t as good in RI.
Quick Rick also needs to be the king of his domain and St John’s will always be somewhat of an afterthought in the NYC sports landscape.

He’ll be the king of Rhode Island if he goes back to PC. Do not underestimate the importance of his outsized ego in this.

Reaction Score
Quick Rick also needs to be the king of his domain and St John’s will always be somewhat of an afterthought in the NYC sports landscape.

Not true, when St John's was rolling in the 80's they received plenty of NYC publicity. The city loves basketball and is thirsty for a great team to root for.

Don't forget college basketball peaks at a time other sports are rather dormant (Feb, March).

Reaction Score
Queens has better golf? USF needs a coach if he wants to golf. PC is a better program at a better school with better facilities and there is plenty of nearby golf. TPC Boston in Norton, MA is a short drive from Providence. He won't lack for Italian food in either place.

I don't know what he's going to do or what he really values as a 70 year old coach. It's just fun to watch all this chaos.
Not Queens, but between Westchester County, Long Island, NJ - lots of great golf courses

Reaction Score
Pitino may move to the North Shore of LI if he takes the SJU job. He's a Bayville kid. And the commute is easier.

Reaction Score
Imagine paying $6 million to a guy who has been coaching at the P5 level for 10 years and has never won a damn thing. Absolutely mind boggling.
Plus the buyout of his contract. Rumored to be another 5 or 6 mil

Reaction Score
Why would Cooley go to Georgetown rather than stay at Providence? Is it easier to recruit at Georgetown?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Y’all can pay as much as y’all want, it still won’t win you anything of significance or get you any national attention.

But congrats on getting a few wins on us here and there.

Reaction Score

He’ll be the king of Rhode Island if he goes back to PC. Do not underestimate the importance of his outsized ego in this.
I’ve considered that. Pitino holding court at his favorite restaurant on Federal Hill any random night of the week will be like watching the Godfather have dinner. I really like the Providence job for a coach like Pitino. He is going to win big wherever he goes. Providence is a great place to live in my book.

Reaction Score
Why would Cooley go to Georgetown rather than stay at Providence? Is it easier to recruit at Georgetown?
If the money is similar, I assume Cooley wants a shot at building a championship program. Maybe he could catch fire at some point with a class at PC and make a deep run, but the chances of consistently competing at the top of the BE and national level are pretty small. For many reasons, GT offers Cooley a higher ceiling (NIL money, bigger brand, better school, no real dominant regional player that ensures they'll be second fiddle, etc.).

Reaction Score
Georgetown has $3.21 billion endowment, 3 times Nova and far greater than everyone else. It has a large enrollment and very wealthy alumni. You got the NIL thing going on. What's a few extra mill. Maybe Georgetown is trying to effect a basketball revolution and they think Cooley is the guy to do it. It's a now or never type of situation. I don't know if it will work out but I don't think the money is crazy given the situation and resources.
This is a crucial hire for Georgetown. John Thompson II started ok and fizzled and Ewing was terrible. Georgetown may never get back to being relevant if the next coach doesn't turn it around. Three strikes and you're out.

Reaction Score
If the money is similar, I assume Cooley wants a shot at building a championship program. Maybe he could catch fire at some point with a class at PC and make a deep run, but the chances of consistently competing at the top of the BE and national level are pretty small. For many reasons, GT offers Cooley a higher ceiling (NIL money, bigger brand, better school, no real dominant regional player that ensures they'll be second fiddle, etc.).
University of Virginia isn't bad. Neither is Maryland. Those are two regional competitors right there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not Queens. But Westchester does. To put it in relatable @HuskyHawk terms… it’s like living in Charlton or Canton (mmmmm beer) but working at BU, BC or Harvard.
Just saw @August_West 's post on Winged Foot. How is that drive daily? Viable? I guess so, especially if he has a driver.

Reaction Score
University of Virginia isn't bad. Neither is Maryland. Those are two regional competitors right there.
I don’t disagree. There are players in the area but GT has been before, and could once again, become top dog in the area. There is next to no chance of that happening at PC.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I didn't realize Pitino only spent 2 years at Providence. The idea he has some love affair for the place seems like a reach. Why not UMass, his alma mater? BU, where he coached for like six years? If Billy Donovan was unemployed, sure, but Pitino?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Screw that, we already spent our time in the barrel.
Peoples Choice Awards Dont GIF by NBC

scared season 3 GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member