Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitino couldn't wait to get out of Providence the first time. I'd be stunned if he went there. This PC meeting looks like a dance to me, coming so soon after the nugget that SJU has no back-up plan.
yeah Slick Rick is definitely increasing his leverage and using it against St. John's.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He read that Cooley's offer from Georgetown is $6mil per year. He needs to scare ST John's a little to get them to open the wallet.

All the talk a decade ago (when the catholic schools got up and left) about how they were for each other, not the every man for himself behavior that the football members always had. Maybe they are willing to eat their own.

Reaction Score
Yeah not to get too political, I am glad athletes can get paid via NIL and it was long overdue, IMO. Having said that I always thought that there should have been some sort of salary cap, even if it's a high number. I am not sure if the NCAA really cares if the lack of a salary cap will mean a few schools with lots of money will have a huge advantage or if they were just powerless to stop this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pitino is closer to Shanley (who was at PC when Pitino was there but is now at St Johns) than anyone currently at PC. Plus the current living situation would mean he doesn't need to move to take St Johns.

That said, PC losing their "hometown family" guy is hilarious. Maybe you're not the program you thought you were...

Happy that first weekend Ed will be at Georgetown. Raising the profile of the conference ahead of the new FS1 deal, but really not making them a danger.

Reaction Score
He read that Cooley's offer from Georgetown is $6mil per year. He needs to scare ST John's a little to get them to open the wallet.

All the talk a decade ago (when the catholic schools got up and left) about how they were for each other, not the every man for himself behavior that the football members always had. Maybe they are willing to eat their own.
It's not the little boys club that freescooter and some others pretend it is. It's easily one of the premier basketball conferences and isn't going anywhere. Bigtime college sports are really ugly now, It's a greedy eat your own atmosphere and the Big East is no different.

With the slate of coaches It's going to have the Big East will probably be the most competitive and best pound for pound league in the country over the next 5 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, first, let me say, Cooley has, protestations to the contrary, handled his negotiation brilliantly. In my humble opinion, Georgetown is spending $6 million a year “not to suck”. That is what Ed Cooley brings.

But Slick Rick Pitino is no slouch at self promotion either. On one hand, he can take the Saint Johns job and get back to being a “high major” program without having to move. He saw that PC was prepared to pay Cooley $5 million. That’s likely to be more money (as in at least a couple of million more) than he would get at Saint Johns. He knows PC is stunned by Cooley’s departure and is scrambling to save face. He can hop in grab at least 5 million, and perhaps more, and look like a hero while he does it. Plus, he’s at an institution we’re even a moderate level of success allows him to Coach for as long as he wants.

This whole drama is shaping up to be really interesting. The problem is Georgetown and Providence College’s reckless spending has, de facto, raise the bar for coaches salaries in the conference. That’s a bad thing for Connecticut. Depending on how far Hurley goes in the tournament, we will probably have to deal with this new reality over the next few months.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s been asked multiple times and that’s always his answer.

I still think Pitino would prefer Providence. Less pressure, but the golf courses aren’t as good in RI.
Queens has better golf? USF needs a coach if he wants to golf. PC is a better program at a better school with better facilities and there is plenty of nearby golf. TPC Boston in Norton, MA is a short drive from Providence. He won't lack for Italian food in either place.

I don't know what he's going to do or what he really values as a 70 year old coach. It's just fun to watch all this chaos.

Reaction Score
I must say that I am comfortably enjoying the opportunity to observe utter chaos with Cooley, Pitino, the lawsuit Mike Anderson is about to file, and the steaming pile that these holier-than-thou schools and fan bases are dealing with. Icing on the cake is the transition from Nosepicker to Autry and his eminently unlikeable associate head coach, and I am feeling over-the-moon grateful for the upward trajectory of our beloved basketball program. Also, you know I’m still humming it!

Reaction Score
Queens has better golf? USF needs a coach if he wants to golf. PC is a better program at a better school with better facilities and there is plenty of nearby golf. TPC Boston in Norton, MA is a short drive from Providence. He won't lack for Italian food in either place.

I don't know what he's going to do or what he really values as a 70 year old coach. It's just fun to watch all this chaos.
Federal Hill in Providence has some great Italian restaurants and so does the North End here in Boston.

Reaction Score
So, first, let me say, Cooley has, protestations to the contrary, handled his negotiation brilliantly. In my humble opinion, Georgetown is spending $6 million a year “not to suck”. That is what Ed Cooley brings.

But Slick Rick Pitino is no slouch at self promotion either. On one hand, he can take the Saint Johns job and get back to being a “high major” program without having to move. He saw that PC was prepared to pay Cooley $5 million. That’s likely to be more money (as in at least a couple of million more) than he would get at Saint Johns. He knows PC is stunned by Cooley’s departure and is scrambling to save face. He can hop in grab at least 5 million, and perhaps more, and look like a hero while he does it. Plus, he’s at an institution we’re even a moderate level of success allows him to Coach for as long as he wants.

This whole drama is shaping up to be really interesting. The problem is Georgetown and Providence College’s reckless spending has, de facto, raise the bar for coaches salaries in the conference. That’s a bad thing for Connecticut. Depending on how far Hurley goes in the tournament, we will probably have to deal with this new reality over the next few months.
If fans here want to laugh at PC and their fans, that is their right and I am not hating on the fans who do that. But I would say to them, be careful and don't challenge karma and offend the basketball gods. This doesn't help UConn at all. It will make me root that much more for UConn football success so that it brings in more money on top of the basketball revenue and profits.

Reaction Score

Not Queens. But Westchester does. To put it in relatable @HuskyHawk terms… it’s like living in Charlton or Canton (mmmmm beer) but working at BU, BC or Harvard.

Reaction Score

Excellent point about the money. I like that it puts to rest any nonsense about the Big East not being able to compete with the big boys but when teams in the conference are crazily overpaying like this it means UConn and other schools in the league will have to open their checkbooks. In the end it should be a good thing for the league.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Golf is high on Slick Rick’s wish list. And wanting to stay in the Northeastern Corridor.

If this does go thru, say what you want, this will be a media sensation for the Big East. Great publicity for the conference. Cooley turns his back on hometown for a few bucks down in Washington? Count me in I’ll get the popcorn going for us all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Pitino lives at Winged Foot. Literally.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is one wrinkle here that I imagine Ricky has been anguishing over, trying to talk his way through.

He always wanted to come across as the good guy, the alter boy (as ridiculous as that seems, it is true). From shortly after he took over the Kentucky job he would make the occasional comment about PC, something similar to an attractive female who has been friends with a guy from childhood and, as adults would at times say "if it weren't for timing, as one of us was always in a relationship when the other was single, we would have dated"; believing fully that the day would never arrive where he would be called on it.

Now he has to find a way to tell Providence (the school and the fan base) that he still loves them while spurning them.

What gets me Is how he doesn't realize the bulk of the world knows how big of a phony he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom