Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Price just went up on Hurley's next extension. This is the Deshaun Watson of college coaching contracts.
This. Georgetown will be paying more than their share of current Conference media rights to Ed Cooley. That’s insane.

Reaction Score
Making Ed Cooley the 2nd highest paid coach in all of college basketball sure is a decision.
It's funny Providence fans are talking about getting Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens but if Stevens had the itch to get back into coaching or Donovan had the itch to return to the college game that's where Georgetown's focus should've been. Hell Pitino would've taken the job for a fraction of that.

It's insane what they're giving Ed Cooley.

Reaction Score
Imagine paying $6 million to a guy who has been coaching at the P5 level for 10 years and has never won a damn thing. Absolutely mind boggling.
It's called desperation. GTown has not just been irrelevant, they have been flat out awful and dare I say embarrassing. What's their BE record combined the last 2 years? 2-38, or something like that including and 0-fer last year. You know how difficult it is to pull an 0-fer in any conference. Usually a team can luck their way into at least 2 wins if not more.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pitino was seen on PC’s campus this morning. It’s happening.
If Providence is smart they'll turn around and hire Chris Mack, he's better than Cooley.
Mack doesn’t want to coach, he’s too invested in his family at the moment. Maybe when his kids are both in college.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Mack doesn’t want to coach, he’s too invested in his family at the moment. Maybe when his kids are both in college.
What a gut punch for St. Johns, but PC is the better job, and PC would upgrade their coaching situation. I'd enjoy watching Pitino beat Cooley if that happened. As @superjohn said, Georgetown broke the bank for the wrong guy. I thought PC was already overpaying Cooley.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino Sr. is trying to convince Providence to give the job to Rick Pitino Jr. He's been pushing that from the day the Cooley to Georgetown rumors started.

Reaction Score
Georgetown has $3.21 billion endowment, 3 times Nova and far greater than everyone else. It has a large enrollment and very wealthy alumni. You got the NIL thing going on. What's a few extra mill. Maybe Georgetown is trying to effect a basketball revolution and they think Cooley is the guy to do it. It's a now or never type of situation. I don't know if it will work out but I don't think the money is crazy given the situation and resources.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wow this just gets more interesting by the hour.

I remember reading on the Cuse board when they were pining for Pitino, that he lives next door to Winged Foot and you couldn't pry him away from there. So he could commute to St Johns and keep his present living situation, which should be a factor when you are 70 years old.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wow this just gets more interesting by the hour.

I would really really hate to see Pitino go to PC over STJ.

There’s only so much you can do there. Winning at St John’s would just mean way more and you can do more recruiting wise being the New York City team. I really do not care if PC is good or not. This was probably their best run ever and it only resulted in a couple of NCAAT births. Like who cares.

Reaction Score
Georgetown has $3.21 billion endowment, 3 times Nova and far greater than everyone else. It has a large enrollment and very wealthy alumni. You got the NIL thing going on. What's a few extra mill. Maybe Georgetown is trying to effect a basketball revolution and they think Cooley is the guy to do it. It's a now or never type of situation. I don't know if it will work out but I don't think the money is crazy given the situation and resources.
True, GTown has an endowment others in the BE would be jealous of for sure. But if GTown really wanted to become big time they should have just gone after Pitino, who fall of his foibles, and he has a lot them, is an elite HOF coach. SuperJohn made that point above. Maybe GTown didn't want the image of Pitino being associated with GTown, but from a strictly basketball perspective paying Pitino $4M/year is better than paying Cooley $6M/year.

Reaction Score

That's what they all say. He's a really good coach and a competitor. He has to hate what happened with his season ending early at Louisville with Covid and then how it all ended with disappointing play and Dino Gaudio trying to shake him down. Coaches want to coach.

I think Pitino ends up at St. John's and Repole eases any NIL bball investment concerns.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That's what they all say. He's a really good coach and a competitor. He has to hate what happened with his season ending early at Louisville with Covid and then how it all ended with disappointing play and Dino Gaudio trying to shake him down. Coaches want to coach.

I think Pitino ends up at St. John's and Repole eases any NIL bball investment concerns.
He’s been asked multiple times and that’s always his answer.

I still think Pitino would prefer Providence. Less pressure, but the golf courses aren’t as good in RI.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pitino couldn't wait to get out of Providence the first time. I'd be stunned if he went there. This PC meeting looks like a dance to me, coming so soon after the nugget that SJU has no back-up plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom