2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is such a childish take by people who dont like KO and need something to say - Embarrassing
If it occurred the following season that would merit some credence - remember that KO had to hold the team together through an initial year of being unable to play in the post season - through no fault of his and then recruit in the AAC
Yes he failed in the final 2 years and deserved to be replaced but remember that KO had recruited virtually all those JC players in the final 5 years of JCs tenure
The irony is that I am not convinced Calhoun would have won a title with those guys. Without question, there was no one better suited for this job than KO those first two years. KO deserves a ton of credit how he kept the program in tact and the team chemistry he established in those early years. Ten toes in. That was all KO. The hate unfortunately comes from the later years, when he had nine toes out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
KO was the best two year coach to ever coach in major D1 the issue is he had the job for 2+ years. The end. Back to DC, we'll see what happens

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I wasn’t on the Boneyard often a few years back, but didn’t the staff drop to ball with Diallo to some extent? We obviously won’t get all of our targets, but I don’t think the staff is going to be outworked.

I don't remember it that way. I think Calipari swooped in, and that was that. As much as the previous staff did drop the ball on certain recruits, I don't think this was one of those occasions.

I think @karstenkibbe's example is a fair one: just because a kid is on campus all the time doesn't mean he's going to commit. But I'll point out that the little guy with a halo on his other shoulder is saying "Andre Drummond."

Reaction Score
I don't remember it that way. I think Calipari swooped in, and that was that. As much as the previous staff did drop the ball on certain recruits, I don't think this was one of those occasions.

I think @karstenkibbe's example is a fair one: just because a kid is on campus all the time doesn't mean he's going to commit. But I'll point out that the little guy with a halo on his other shoulder is saying "Andre Drummond."
Thanks for clarifying. I knew our previous staff wasn’t working as hard on the recruiting trail at times and that we unexpectedly missed out on Diallo, so those things probably just melded together in my mind.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I can't see how his stopping by "fresh off" his Michigan visit can be interpreted any way but positively.
Yeah strikes me as a pretty big positive sign, especially considering he already did an unofficial and still has an official coming up

just stopped by to remember how much better home feels than Ann Arbor

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can't see how his stopping by "fresh off" his Michigan visit can be interpreted any way but positively.
Once upon a time I “specalated” with the best of Y’all.

Now I wait until a kid puts on a uniform and helps deliver a NC. Until or unless that happens I get great enjoyment out of all the hopes and dashing of hopes posted in this forum. Reminds me of me in the not so distant past. So no clinging to Clingan.

and KO is a perfect example of how quickly we embrace someone who can deliver satisfaction for our neediness but destroy the moment the delivery ends.

Reaction Score
Yeah strikes me as a pretty big positive sign, especially considering he already did an unofficial and still has an official coming up

just stopped by to remember how much better home feels than Ann Arbor
I agree. I think it was a big positive of being back on campus right after his Michigan visit.

Reaction Score
Won with Calhoun coached players. Stunk the joint up after that. Embarassing

Solid post lol. Please enlighten me with the impact "Calhouns players" besides Bazz had on their careers while "playing" for Jim Calhoun? And Bazz was coached by KO as well when he was assistant as well as HC. But nice try your hatred is well noted!

Now back to Clingan, really good news he was on campus with Corey I would say. The staff is going crazy huh, amazing job how will they choose if they have multiple players form positions this will be interesting?

Reaction Score
Solid post lol. Please enlighten me with the impact "Calhouns players" besides Bazz had on their careers while "playing" for Jim Calhoun? And Bazz was coached by KO as well when he was assistant as well as HC. But nice try your hatred is well noted!

Now back to Clingan, really good news he was on campus with Corey I would say. The staff is going crazy huh, amazing job how will they choose if they have multiple players form positions this will be interesting?

The day Calhoun retired KO had to re-recruit each player to commit to UConn which then made them all KO's players. They were no longer Calhouns.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

Here are the last two paragraphs - the second to last got truncated by Outline:

-> He’s taking the month off from AAU to focus on his visits and will return in July to play for Boston-based Team Spartans during the live evaluation period — also a new experience for the big man.

“I’ve really never had the opportunity to do this, play in front of a bunch of coaches like this live,” Clingan said. “I’m excited, just trying to get my name out there even more than it is, and help my teammates get offers and win games.” <-

Reaction Score
no mention of him going back to UConn after visiting UM

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
LOL. As opposed to KO, who was viewed as an assistant coach in uniform by players and front office personnel alike his last few years, and won a friggin national championship his second year as a coach.

When do we get past the point where we have to keep making up history? KO's performance fell off a cliff his last two years here and he got fired. The program has moved back into the right direction. But no amount of failure erases what was accomplished or how he was viewed before the failure.

No, KO’s performance started to drop off before we won the title.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

few quotes in this piece are gonna raise some eyebrows here

Yeah. Howard isn't going to be a fan of this quote.

“I thought it would be a lot bigger than it actually was,” Clingan said of Michigan.

Might as well have said it was "okay" in size and felt good.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Howard isn't going to be a fan of this quote.

“I thought it would be a lot bigger than it actually was,” Clingan said of Michigan.

Might as well have said it was "okay" in size and felt good.
I was thinking more along the lines of this one:

“I know [UConn] is close, but to me it’s really no different than any of the other schools recruiting-wise. People think I’m going to UConn just because it’s close, that’s just not true.”

Reaction Score
I was thinking more along the lines of this one:

“I know [UConn] is close, but to me it’s really no different than any of the other schools recruiting-wise. People think I’m going to UConn just because it’s close, that’s just not true.”
He's said that since day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog