2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not a recruiting guy,,, and I may just be an overly simple person. But seeing this picture , I understand this young fella is from Bristol? I have to think there is zero shot this guy is even considering coming here
What does it mean you understand he is from Bristol? Also zero chance he is even considering coming to UConn. Really. What is that based on? I don’t understand how you can possibly come to that conclusion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd have that look too if a school dressed me up as a fruit.
This is the first thing that came to my mind after seeing that:

1624206525063.png

Reaction Score
Has Cuse outsourced their recruiting pictures to JC Penney's or is the background of that shot the Syracuse skyline?

Having lived a little East of Syracuse for a few years I'd go with the skyline that never sees sun from November to April.....

pj

Reaction Score
We were two months removed from a national title? So, no, I wasn't concerned.

Anyone who claims they saw this happening is completely full of it.

Normally when a coach wins his first national title, especially if he won so young and with the great story KO had, he'd get a recruiting boost. But we didn't recruit well following the title. It seemed like a warning flag at the time but I didn't know what to attribute it to. In retrospect it seems clear what was going on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Normally when a coach wins his first national title, especially if he won so young and with the great story KO had, he'd get a recruiting boost. But we didn't recruit well following the title. It seemed like a warning flag at the time but I didn't know what to attribute it to. In retrospect it seems clear what was going on.

KO, to his credit, landed a 5* in his first 3 classes: Daniel Hamilton, Jalen, and then Alterique. It was really 2017 where things took a complete nose dive.

Reaction Score
KO, to his credit, landed a 5* in his first 3 classes: Daniel Hamilton, Jalen, and then Alterique. It was really 2017 where things took a complete nose dive.
Not that it matters much, but I don’t think rique was a 5 star.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Has Cuse outsourced their recruiting pictures to JC Penney's or is the background of that shot the Syracuse skyline?

The background is a representation of the color of what you can expect the sky to look like most of the time there as the wind blows off of Lake Erie with precipitation.

pj

Reaction Score

True, we got the #33 player in Jalen Adams a month after the national championship, and the #37 player in Alterique a year later. But I thought Ollie should have been able to do better. He got #27 Daniel Hamilton a year before the championship, so continuing to get one good player per year does not indicate that the national championship gave a boost to recruiting.

For comparison, Dan Hurley has no national championships and no NBA experience, but this year he has the #48, #53, and #56 players (Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson, and Rahsool Diggins). That's way better than Ollie was doing.

Bottom line, players are more ready to believe that Dan Hurley and staff can advance their careers than they were that Ollie and his staff would do it. And they were right to believe that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
True, we got the #33 player in Jalen Adams a month after the national championship, and the #37 player in Alterique a year later. But I thought Ollie should have been able to do better. He got #27 Daniel Hamilton a year before the championship, so continuing to get one good player per year does not indicate that the national championship gave a boost to recruiting.

For comparison, Dan Hurley has no national championships and no NBA experience, but this year he has the #48, #53, and #56 players (Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson, and Rahsool Diggins). That's way better than Ollie was doing.

Bottom line, players are more ready to believe that Dan Hurley and staff can advance their careers than they were that Ollie and his staff would do it. And they were right to believe that.

In 2016 Ollie had the 8th rated class nationally, led by Gilbert (espn had him as a 5 star).

In 2021 Hurley had the 14th rated (the one you cite above with Digging, Hawkins, and Johnson).

So, once again, the wheels didn't come completely off until 2017.

Anyone who says otherwise or could have foreseen this is likely lying, or sure as hell doesn't have a boneyard account.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In 2016 Ollie had the 8th rated class nationally, led by Gilbert (espn had him as a 5 star).

In 2021 Hurley had the 14th rated (the one you cite above with Digging, Hawkins, and Johnson).

Anyone who says otherwise or could have foreseen this is likely lying, or sure as hell doesn't have a boneyard account.
You have to wonder if history would have been different if Alterique hadn't injured his shoulder.

pj

Reaction Score

Yes, I agree, the wheels didn't come off completely until 2017.

The 2016 class was higher rated than the 2021 class because it had 5 players instead of 3. I agree that 2016 was a good class. Yet there was a feel in the air that we weren't competitive for the top prospects. And now there's a feel that we are.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
You have to wonder if history would have been different if Alterique hadn't injured his shoulder.
Just would've prolonged the inevitable.

Reaction Score

The 2016 class was higher rated than the 2021 class because it had 5 players instead of 3. I agree that 2016 was a good class. Yet there was a feel in the air that we weren't competitive for the top prospects. And now there's a feel that we are.
For reference, the top 3 of the 2021 class are at a score of 62 on 247's class calculator and the top 3 for 2016 are at 62.36. If you look at each player individually (since the scores are weighted towards the 2nd ranked player providing less value than the 1st) it's 84.01 for 2021 and 83.85 for 2016. So either way, very similar classes

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Well the 24/7 average of the top 3 in each class was 0.98003 in 2021 and 0.9795 in 2016. Really splitting hairs here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Would have given Ollie one less excuse.

Reaction Score
Ollie also recruited Zach Brown who was rated between #3 and #10 when he committed. That was a recruiting coup after the championship that didn't materialize when the kid self destructed. Fighting, thieving, sexual identity, made his situation tragic, but, Ollie got the commitment and brought him north to Putnam Science to try to save him from himself and his environment, but he was out in a couple weeks. Ollie should get at least a footnote for Brown when discussing whether he was successful getting ranked recruits.

Zach Brown's physical size and power would have had a significant impact on our team performance if he held it together.
There are some parallels size wise to Donovan Clingan who this thread used to be about.

Reaction Score
Ollie also recruited Zach Brown who was rated between #3 and #10 when he committed. That was a recruiting coup after the championship that didn't materialize when the kid self destructed. Fighting, thieving, sexual identity, made his situation tragic, but, Ollie got the commitment and brought him north to Putnam Science to try to save him from himself and his environment, but he was out in a couple weeks. Ollie should get at least a footnote for Brown when discussing whether he was successful getting ranked recruits.

Zach Brown's physical size and power would have had a significant impact on our team performance if he held it together.
There are some parallels size wise to Donovan Clingan who this thread used to be about.
The Zach Brown recruitment was actually one of the early major signs of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom