Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
How come all of our losses last season came inside the Big East? So much for conference culture.

It seems to me the "culture" is to have the refs screw UCONN so the Catholic schools can improve their tournament resumes. We know where the real power resides in the Big East and it isn't with UCONN.

and the B12 has an outstanding basketball culture, they completely outclass the Big East in rankings and putting players in the NBA.
Because it is an elite basketball-centric conference. Arguably the most underrated. Who cares if the refs screw us so Providence can hang a regular season banner, we were more equipped in March than anyone else in the country because of it.

I'd wager almost anything to say being the new kids on the block in the big 12 won't improve how refs treat us

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same here. I don’t work with anyone who went to any of these schools. I don’t know anyone who graduated from any of these schools. I don’t know anyone who sends/sent their kids to any of these schools. There simply is no rivalry here with anyone I know or associate with.

The lack of rivalry is a huge problem. It contributed heavily to the decline in attendance during the AAC days. Privately BC alumni told me after their move to the ACC that they wished that they were back in the Big East even though their football and basketball programs were doing well in the ACC at the time. They were playing big names in football and huge names in basketball but their attendance shrank because there was no one on their schedule that anyone in their fan base cared about.

This is the future we’d be facing in the Big XII.
Our attendance problems in the aac were because we sucked most of those years and there were a lot of bad teams in the conference. Cincy and Houston were not the problem. Nor are Xavier or creighton in the big east, despite having very little history with them and not being close geographically. It’s about being good and playing good teams.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, Ollie had his failings (many of them) but to act like he was the only issue with our bball team is disengenious.

18-21/22 year Olds traveling all over the country to play many of the same teams that are currently in the big 12 takes a toll. Versus pitching to recruits we play the best conference tourney at the world's greatest area a mere 2 hours away from campus with a rabid fan base that floods the arena.

You can justify why the big 12 is the right move for the AD all you want, just understand it's a death blow to what we currently enjoy in hoops.

Cutting costs, particularly the albatross around necks, also helps avoid those disasters
No we don't have to concede its a death blow at all. For once this AD has a chance to be ahead of the curve. There is a very real possibility that Pitt, SU, and BC will come hat in hand to the Big12.

The Ollie thing I'm referring to is all about finances. They gave him a raise, and then were too broke to fire him and pay his buyout. Again the revenue that comes from joining a league like the Big12 offsets problems like that. And despite what you read on twitter, if Kentuck or Carolina come for Hurley and we are still making Big East money, there is a very real chance they won't be able to afford ro keep him.

Reaction Score
No we don't have to concede its a death blow at all. For once this AD has a chance to be ahead of the curve. There is a very real possibility that Pitt, SU, and BC will come hat in hand to the Big12.

The Ollie thing I'm referring to is all about finances. They gave him a raise, and then were too broke to fire him and pay his buyout. Again the revenue that comes from joining a league like the Big12 offsets problems like that. And despite what you read on twitter, if Kentuck or Carolina come for Hurley and we are still making Big East money, there is a very real chance they won't be able to afford ro keep him.
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, because you're absolutely correct regarding Ollie, but what you're describing is us becoming Like syracuse cheering for the paycheck and lamenting the results on the court.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but we can't ignore the importance of the northeast footprint to our basketball success.

I am as critical of our our states leaderships, bordering on unfairly, as anyone. Yet I have little doubt that if Kentucky came calling for Hurley we would answer and put a stop to it

Edit: Lamont is even reaching out to the nhl to see what it would take to get the coyotes here. He knows what is important here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. That’s my entire rationale for why I am pro B12. I want us to be in the drivers seat when the ACC blows up. If we’re already in the B12, we will be the ones deciding on other schools futures, not the other way around. And if those schools say, hey we would rather merge with the BE and separate football? We’ll be in position to do that as well.

If we are sitting in the Big East, and in 2036 the ACC blows up, do we really want to be fighting against Cuse, Pitt, UofL, NC State, Vtech, Miami, GTech, etc for a seat at the table? The last time we went head to head with those schools, we lost and ended up in the American.
A lot of us on the board won't even be around in 2036, it's so far away it almost feels abstract.

Reaction Score
How many games each? One of those may be closed to maxed out. The other is no where close. Think

Nope. They’re not close to being maxed out. UConn men’s basketball has drawn as many as 260,231 in a season. Their TV games are also very highly rated

Reaction Score
How come all of our losses last season came inside the Big East? So much for conference culture.

It seems to me the "culture" is to have the refs screw UCONN so the Catholic schools can improve their tournament resumes. We know where the real power resides in the Big East and it isn't with UCONN.

and the B12 has an outstanding basketball culture, they completely outclass the Big East in rankings and putting players in the NBA.

I’m sure you have a conspiracy theory fir why the Mets haven’t won a World Series in forever as well. And I’m sure you’re also an expert on the basketball culture in the Big XII. Thanks for playing.

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, because you're absolutely correct regarding Ollie, but what you're describing is us becoming Like syracuse cheering for the paycheck and lamenting the results on the court.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but we can't ignore the importance of the northeast footprint to our basketball success.

I am as critical of our our states leaderships, bordering on unfairly, as anyone. Yet I have little doubt that if Kentucky came calling for Hurley we would answer and put a stop to it

Edit: Lamont is even reaching out to the nhl to see what it would take to get the coyotes here. He knows what is important here.
I see the sincerity in your argument, but if Kentucky decides to set the market and make him the highest paid coach in MBB i do not believe we can match that at the moment. These are hypotheticals. Ultimately the school will decide what is whether it is worth pursuing or not. In my heart i feel Cuse, Pitt, and BC original BE members will end up there (hoping to join us fingers crossed.) Thats no different than being in a league for BB with PC, Hall, St Johns, Nova and GTown. Just once it would feel good if the school didn't get caught with their pants around their ankles like when Pendergast was acting AD.

Reaction Score
Nope. They’re not close to being maxed out. UConn men’s basketball has drawn as many as 260,231 in a season. Their TV games are also very highly rated
Its not an apples to apples comparison and you know it. A better comparison would be when UConn was playing BE football against Cuse, Pitt etc. Right now we are playing big time CBB and some level of FBS fb between FBS and FCS. We played 2 FCS home games recently and lost 1.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we take Big 12 money, we’ll still be mediocre or worse in football and basketball will start to slide again. I guarantee we’d struggle to fill XL or Gampel for TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, UCF, and whoever else was an AAC carry over or an old school Big 12 doormat. No thanks, we actually have an identity now.

We’d be rich tho. Temporarily.

Reaction Score
Admittedly i haven't been on campus in a LONG time. Last time i was there cows on campus. I bet there are cows on some Big12 campuses!
You nailed it. I'd expect nothing less from a straight-A geography major at UConn. Yep, everything west of the Hudson River is a big cow pasture -- endless numbers of cows wandering college campuses, especially in the B12. Because all B1G campuses are also west of the Hudson, they're swarming with cows too. The moos are deafening. And the ground is littered with cow-pies. UConn would want no part of that.

It's so good to know that New England parochialism is alive and well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A lot of us on the board won't even be around in 2036, it's so far away it almost feels abstract.
Some of us don't live in Chicago so we have a better chance of being around by then. ;)

All kidding aside, I'm pretty confident that I have a good number of years on you (I'm 62) and I absolutely plan on attending games in 2036. It will get here quicker than many realize.

Reaction Score
I see the sincerity in your argument, but if Kentucky decides to set the market and make him the highest paid coach in MBB i do not believe we can match that at the moment. These are hypotheticals. Ultimately the school will decide what is whether it is worth pursuing or not. In my heart i feel Cuse, Pitt, and BC original BE members will end up there (hoping to join us fingers crossed.) Thats no different than being in a league for BB with PC, Hall, St Johns, Nova and GTown. Just once it would feel good if the school didn't get caught with their pants around their ankles like when Pendergast was acting AD.

Your entire position is based on the belief that the ACC will implode. Lawyers smarter than us have written that there is no way around the GOR. If that’s the case, then the ACC with its current membership will be around fir at least another 13 years. So, if what you’re imagining doesn’t come true, then we’re on an island in the Big XII and likely sacrificing an elite basketball program in the process.

Reaction Score
You nailed it. I'd expect nothing less from a straight-A geography major at UConn. Yep, everything west of the Hudson River is a big cow pasture -- endless numbers of cows wandering college campuses, especially in the B12. Because all B1G campuses are also west of the Hudson, they're swarming with cows too. The moos are deafening. And the ground is littered with cow-pies. UConn would want no part of that.

It's so good to know that New England parochialism is alive and well.
Don't be so sensitive. It was an attempt at humor. There were cows at UConn and that is East of the Hudson. Ain't you a BC fan anyway?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We haveva segment of the fanbase that thinks any boost to football comes at the expense of basketball. They hate FB, but will instead say "I'm fine with FB", but in reality they're fine with FB remaining on the same level of UMass FB.
What’s the difference? Seriously. You had a 20 year bite of the apple. I’m not a big Pat Forde fan but he nailed it this week. We need to lean into our hoops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s the difference. You had a 20 year bite of the apple. I’m not a big Pat Forde fan but he nailed it this week. We need to lean into our hoops.
Agree to disagree. That apple was not there for 20 years. When the Big East broke up and UConn was abandoned by the FB and BB schools the FB program had no chance. They were literally too broke to do anything but put bandaids on bleeding arteries after Diaco flopped. Forde has always been a UConn and Calhoun hater. His is the last viewpoint i would ever agree with in relations to anything to do with UConn.

IF they got a shot in the Big12 it would be the 1st real shot the FB program has gotten. They would be able to recruit against regional peers, RU, SU, Pitt, and BC once again. They don't stand a chance as things stand now.

Reaction Score
You know what’s funny I can pull up posts from 2012 here saying the same thing about 2024
We've lost a few, along the wayyy, everything is going to be alright now.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. That apple was not there for 20 years. When the Big East broke up and UConn was abandoned by the FB and BB schools the FB program had no chance. They were literally too broke to do anything but put bandaids on bleeding arteries after Diaco flopped. Forde has always been a UConn and Calhoun hater. His is the last viewpoint i would ever agree with in relations to anything to do with UConn.

IF they got a shot in the Big12 it would be the 1st real shot the FB program has gotten. They would be able to recruit against regional peers, RU, SU, Pitt, and BC once again. They don't stand a chance as things stand now.
We went to a FB conference!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom