Dog or cat? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dog or cat?

Reaction Score
A dog is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. A cat will spend its days plotting to kill you. My daughters say "The cat is not trying to kill you, dad." But I know better. I've looked in its eyes...

Unfortunately, the cat has powerful allies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simple one. I’ve had dogs (mostly big ones though) and cats my whole life. Honestly, both are affectionate and loyal if you’re giving them proper attention. Dogs however are way more high maintenance and you can’t leave for a week and have someone stop in and feed them, as they require ongoing walking and attention. Cats on the other hand can be left alone for short periods someone stopping in daily. I would definitely lean toward a cat, preferably male tabby.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am going to make some assumptions....

You're fairly young and you're single with no kids. One of the upsides to that situation is the freedom to do what you want when you want.

Why would you give that up to buy an animal? Especially when you're not even sure what kind you want.

You can't go away for the weekend or stay away for even an extended day without making some sort of provision for the animal that's going to either die or tear apart your home in your absence. You're going to have to constantly clean up after this thing when you're probably just barely keeping up cleaning up for yourself. And then you'll meet a woman or buy a mail order bride who will inevitably hate the beast and you will spend hours walking in the rain nailing "Free to Good Home" flyers to telephone poles.

Dude, no. Do not do it.

Always taking the negative view.

Here's a more positive way to look at owning a dog as a single person:
11 Best Dogs to Attract Chicks | AMOG

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nearly 10 years with this fella, have felt lucky the whole time.

834-C2757-7-B1-B-4-CEF-AFE6-9586469-D35-F9.jpg

Well, if we're gonna be sharing photos, here's 100 lbs of an animal who looks like a typical dumb, friendly Golden Retriever, but whose Great Pyrenees side will scare the living crap out anyone who approaches its vague and portable definition of "territory", and who in a typical day, will shed enough fur to choke a dozen cats, obeys commands only when he's damned well ready to, terrifies the neighbors, barks for extended periods at imagined threats a mile away, and will guarantee you can't join the gig economy as an Uber driver due to all the hair in the backseat.

Cisco is 5 and has been with us more than 2 years now, because when we were checking him out at his foster home, he hopped into our car and would not leave. And yes, the bastard did eat my burger last weekend when I went to get more cole slaw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Believe me, I seriously considered putting them down. With everything going on in my life, no way could I. When I think I am having a terrible time, one or both will come up and lick my hand and wag their tails, and BOOM...for a minute, life is good.

They lick your hand because your skin is salty.

Reaction Score
Well, if we're gonna be sharing photos, here's 100 lbs of an animal who looks like a typical dumb, friendly Golden Retriever, but whose Great Pyrenees side will scare the living crap out anyone who approaches its vague and portable definition of "territory", and who in a typical day, will shed enough fur to choke a dozen cats, obeys commands only when he's damned well ready to, terrifies the neighbors, barks for extended periods at imagined threats a mile away, and will guarantee you can't join the gig economy as an Uber driver due to all the hair in the backseat.

View attachment 45923

Cisco is 5 and has been with us more than 2 years now, because when we were checking him out at his foster home, he hopped into our car and would not leave. And yes, the bastard did eat my burger last weekend when I went to get more cole slaw.

3454E225-1830-4941-B462-90EB0DBD47F8.jpeg

That burger story is some funny stuff storrroars as well as the fur and all. Needed some pup laughs thanks.

Just a side note my Amber was given a seat next to me when others weren’t around to push her away from begging lol. She pushed the chair back and got up on the back legs to let me know whatever I’m having needs to be shared. Yeah yeah not good I know blah blah blah but she was family. Family ate steak she had steak, eggs she had eggs and bacon etc etc.. Normally we mixed it with Alpo or whatever the food of the week was but she’d get her share. And she didn’t beg when guests were over she knew her ground rules. Never bread or chocolate but she was fed well. Loved carrots and watermelon lol.

Anyway superjohn unless you have a park nearby with grass and lots of it I’d say cat is a no brainer. Part of the love of the dog is bringing them anywhere they can walk, new places with new scents and morning and afternoon walks to make them happy. Not sure of that where you are but it’s important to them and us, lots of quality time outside of the home.

Cats are great too we have 2 left who grew up with amber and they’re like her, they watched her and hung out with their big sister. They sleep in her beds the last day or so as they wonder where big sis is. But a cat can make a wonderful companion for you and as described you can do more without them being as needy, rightfully so, as a puppy.

Good luck with your choice!

Reaction Score
Whatever you get - get it from a rescue shelter.
If you get a cat get a male; they are more lovable than the females.
Cat or dog you can't go wrong and won't regret it.

Reaction Score
Considering your residence, I'd go with cat. We live in a 1200 square foot two story house, so that's a little tight for a dog unless we had a smaller breed.

My cat Vinny has been a great addition to our family and since my wife and I both work the same hours, there are never concerns over feeding, etc. By the time they are a bit older, they can handle weekends away and plus I find it easier to find family/friends to care for a cat when you need to be away for an extended period of time.

We've really lucked out with Vinny. My wife found him for adoption while she was on a sisters' trip to Jonathan Edwards winery. He's almost dog like: wags his tail, chases and fetches toys, very loving. Aside from the scratching of furniture, he has no other negative traits of some cats. For example, when he wants to be fed in the morning, he simply sits on our bed and waits til we wake up to get our attention and it's usually a cute action of him either laying next to us or sitting on top of us. He's a great guy. Oh, and he also has husky coloring!

Reaction Score
Cat.
1. I know litter boxes can stink, but cats keep themselves very clean. I've yet to meet a dog that didn't smell like...a dog.
2. Even if it's with love, dogs are always in your face. But if that's what you're after...
3. Feed the kitty, clean the box. Interact with kitty as much as you'd like. They have wonderful personalities if you develop a relationship.
4. Most cats are just fine with being left alone. Not so with most dogs.
5. Cats don't bark, and don't stare at anyone who is eating.
So- if you want a furry, barky 4-legged child that loves you (and food) obsessively, get a dog. If you want a furry, purry independent friend who gives you space, get a cat. Or, if you are just bored, aquariums are a nice hobby.

Reaction Score
Cat.
1. I know litter boxes can stink, but cats keep themselves very clean. I've yet to meet a dog that didn't smell like...a dog.
2. Even if it's with love, dogs are always in your face. But if that's what you're after...
3. Feed the kitty, clean the box. Interact with kitty as much as you'd like. They have wonderful personalities if you develop a relationship.
4. Most cats are just fine with being left alone. Not so with most dogs.
5. Cats don't bark, and don't stare at anyone who is eating.
So- if you want a furry, barky 4-legged child that loves you (and food) obsessively, get a dog. If you want a furry, purry independent friend who gives you space, get a cat. Or, if you are just bored, aquariums are a nice hobby.

Note to cat owners who think their house doesn't smell like a litter box: It smells like a litter box.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If you want a companion who will go outside with you, take on hikes, etc get a dog. If you’re not going to put in the work to go to a legit training class (for the love of god not PetSmart) I’m not sure where you’re located but Tails U Win in Manchester is great.

Cats are entirely hit or miss. Some cats you won’t know you have a cat until the food bowl is empty or the litter is full. I got lucky and got the sweetest most friendly cat. People who aren’t cat people come over and are like “wow I actually like your cat.” You can’t count on that though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Note to cat owners who think their house doesn't smell like a litter box: It smells like a litter box.
We didn’t think ours stunk then we moved it to the basement and noticed how much better the house smelled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have 5 dogs and 1 cat. Never was a cat person, but this guy is awesome. Problem is I would say the chances of getting a good cat are like 1/10. The other 9 cats will be assholes or antisocial. Now I know the pro-rescue people will have a fit, but getting them from a shelter is a total crapshoot. Your chances of getting a good cat would increase getting a breed (from a breeder) known to typically be friendly and social. Males are also usually more friendly than females, but make sure to get it fixed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I live in a downtown city apartment and though I loved my Millie for 15 years (see avatar) when she passed I was totally lost but I knew I couldn't replace her. A cat in an apartment is the way to go. Also, get two! It's no more work than one, and they'll enjoy each other.

Millie was awesome but I don't miss walking her several times a day in the middle of February when it's 20 degrees and sleeting. Cat's are very clean, just keep the litter box fresh.

Choose wisely! Many shelters have extensive descriptions of personalities and meet-and-greet hours. If you're local Mary's Kitty Korner in Granby does a great job and they have over 50 cats that need homes.

My two guys, Morty and Mel are wonderful cats...loving, friendly, funny. Mel is so talkative you can have a conversation with him. The boys:
Img_4462.jpg

Reaction Score

Nope. Just nope.

I've had both dogs and cats. The amount of cleaning necessary to keep your house from smelling like dog is about 58495723489054235894 times what is necessary to spend 45 seconds scooping a litter box once a day, and replacing the litter weekly. When my parents had a dog (husky) when I was young, it drove my incredibly clean mother nearly insane as she was vacuuming every room in the house daily just to keep the fur under control.

As an adult, when I walk into a dog owner's house, I immediately know it's a dog owner. I don't notice it with cat owners unless they're slobs.

Reaction Score
I've had both, dogs require more care (i.e. walking, exercise). I have a cat now and she fits my lifestyle.

A big part of pet ownership which I failed to think about is vacationing and leaving town. There
To play off the other pet thread. I'm thinking of getting either a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats equally and am a bit conflicted on what to get. Since I live in an apartment in the city if it was a dog I would lean towards non active breeds, bulldog and pug come to mind....I've always loved Beagles and Jack Russell's but they need to run and explore, living in a city apartment wouldn't be fair to them. A cat is certainly a lot easier. Any recommendations on good apartment dog breeds, non barkers and what cat breeds tend to have the best/most fun personalities?
Make sure you factor in your lifestyle, particularly traveling/vacationing. If you have a pet sitter, or someone you can trust to watch your pet in your house while away, then you are free to make any choice and any size.

Our cat was thrust on us by our daughter when she moved, and we are now restricted to travel plans of one week max. We won't let someone in our house to care for her. But she doesn't require a whole lot of care other than food, water, litter box and some toys scattered around when we are away.

Also pet hair has become an issue, with hair on clothes, furniture and practically everywhere. Its minor but I would factor that in your decision also, meaning hairy pet or not.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nope. Just nope.

I've had both dogs and cats. The amount of cleaning necessary to keep your house from smelling like dog is about 58495723489054235894 times what is necessary to spend 45 seconds scooping a litter box once a day, and replacing the litter weekly. When my parents had a dog (husky) when I was young, it drove my incredibly clean mother nearly insane as she was vacuuming every room in the house daily just to keep the fur under control.

As an adult, when I walk into a dog owner's house, I immediately know it's a dog owner. I don't notice it with cat owners unless they're slobs.

If you have a dog, your house smells like a dog and has visual evidence of dog everywhere. You cannot hide it. Plus, there's the dog which will be front and center 24/7.

If you have a cat, there is a 99.987% chance that your house smells like you have a cat. And there is cat hair everywhere.

No one thinks their house smells, everyone thinks their house is clean, but if you really, really want to get rid of pet smells and have a truly clean house, don't put an animal in it. That is the trade off.

Reaction Score
So ignoring the pet hating sociopaths for a minute, here's my breakdown --

Dog pros --

more likely to be a "social" companion
more easily trained
if trained, less likely to destroy furniture
great wingman if you're single

Dog cons --

You have to get it exercise. If you're in an apartment, that means walking it. And it means walking it regardless of the weather. That sounds good until it's -5 and windy.
You can't leave it home all day.
Pet dander in the house is worse.
Simply more expensive to own
If you have hardwood floors, prepare to deal with them being scratched.

Cat pros --

Lower maintenance
Generally calmer once they reach adulthood
You can (and should) get more than one -- two dogs is a lot for most people
Easier to clean up after (that includes vomit, by the way. Medium-sized dog puke is pretty much like a toddler vomiting in their bed. Cat puke is much more manageable, though they do throw up more often)

Cat cons --

Less "social" in the sense that they're not waiting at your door to greet you and jump in your arms when you come home. Greater chance (probably 30%) that he/she will just want to be left alone. But most cats are still very affectionate.
They will claw your furniture to he!!. There's nothing you can do about it.
More of your visitors will be allergic (at least that's my experience).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom