Dog or cat? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dog or cat?

Reaction Score
... here is one of mine. He's one of 3 siblings we adopted from a street food vendor almost 4 years ago. Amazing cats - awesome personalities. They loved each other, play with each other, clean each other, sleep together...

Screenshot_20190830-234001.png

....but then a year ago we adopted a kitten we found on our road and everything turned. The new cat chews up any of our clothes if we leave them out ... and now this cat above in the photo pees everywhere, and his one sister is losing her hair from stress, and his other sister can't be in the same room with the other cats or they will fight viciously so we keep her in our bedroom so there goes sexy time and any chance for a good night of sleep. Adopting that last kitten has basically destroyed life as we knew it.

Reaction Score
To play off the other pet thread. I'm thinking of getting either a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats equally and am a bit conflicted on what to get. Since I live in an apartment in the city if it was a dog I would lean towards non active breeds, bulldog and pug come to mind....I've always loved Beagles and Jack Russell's but they need to run and explore, living in a city apartment wouldn't be fair to them. A cat is certainly a lot easier. Any recommendations on good apartment dog breeds, non barkers and what cat breeds tend to have the best/most fun personalities?
I think a Dire Wolf or Smilodon Populator would do just fine in your city apartment. Just make sure you have enough food or your neighbors might start disappearing. They are very rare though so good luck finding one.

Reaction Score
Easy answer for me John, since I’m allergic to cats. A breed I have, that is perfect for apartment or condo living is shih Tzu. Some can be barkers but If you crate train it from the beginning, they can be very quiet and chill. Mine is almost 15, just a fantastic companion. He travels well in a car and plane too. Also, they have actual hair, so there’s not much shedding. If you take my recommendation, please just don’t name it after a Yankee, it’s all I ask.

Reaction Score
The only problem with cats - and it's probably already been mentioned here - is that, someday, that cat will whizz in yer house where it's not supposed to. And, you will never get 100% of the smell out, unless it's a piece of furniture...that you burn...in someone else's backyard.

Reaction Score
That cat needs a dirt nap.
My wife and I agree that we regret the way we integrated the new guy but that we couldn't just let him die - there was a huge huge storm and he was in a hole in the ground under a tree. Anyway we are where we are and the damage is done - getting rid.of him now probably wouldn't fix anything. Unfortunately we need to re-home our sequestered cat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only problem with cats - and it's probably already been mentioned here - is that, someday, that cat will whizz in yer house where it's not supposed to. And, you will never get 100% of the smell out, unless it's a piece of furniture...that you burn...in someone else's backyard.
My cat has never done that in 8 years. Try scooping the litter box once in awhile.

Reaction Score
My cat has never done that in 8 years. Try scooping the litter box once in awhile.

This your first cat? When the cat uses the box, it's not a problem. When the cat does it on carpet, or furniture, it is. We had cats that never did that for 11, 12, 13 years...but if you keep them til near the end of their natural life...it happens.

Reaction Score

Cats not using the litter box, for whatever reason, are the norm and not the exception. Good for you that you've been lucky so far. If you continue to be a cat owner, the odds will most definitely get you one day.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
love both, hate walking dogs in the am
Remember, it's not about you. That dog is happy as hell to be out there with YOU!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cats not using the litter box, for whatever reason, are the norm and not the exception.
My GF did insist on a female when we picked up Shadow. Maybe that's one reason for the luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom