Dog or cat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dog or cat?

Reaction Score
Make it a poll, dummy.

@Mano
I mean, it’s so obvious isn’t it?

Dog, dog, dog. Don’t give up and be a cat person. Yes, dogs take more time to train, are more destructive, and you need to change your routine and around the house habits but it’s so worth it. They are a true companion and with a little effort you can groom a lovable pet that will truly feel like a part of the family.

Reaction Score
get a small lazy dog that doesnt need any exercise and train it to use a litterbox. otherwise dont get a dog for an apartment

Reaction Score
I mean, it’s so obvious isn’t it?

Dog, dog, dog. Don’t give up and be a cat person. Yes, dogs take more time to train, are more destructive, and you need to change your routine and around the house habits but it’s so worth it. They are a true companion and with a little effort you can groom a lovable pet that will truly feel like a part of the family.

Dogs can be trained. Cats train you.

Reaction Score
Just be smart about it. For instance, don't get a husky if you live in the south where it's warm some of the time and hot most of the time! They can't handle the heat, their bred for the cold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
To play off the other pet thread. I'm thinking of getting either a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats equally and am a bit conflicted on what to get. Since I live in an apartment in the city if it was a dog I would lean towards non active breeds, bulldog and pug come to mind....I've always loved Beagles and Jack Russell's but they need to run and explore, living in a city apartment wouldn't be fair to them. A cat is certainly a lot easier. Any recommendations on good apartment dog breeds, non barkers and what cat breeds tend to have the best/most fun personalities?

I am going to make some assumptions....

You're fairly young and you're single with no kids. One of the upsides to that situation is the freedom to do what you want when you want.

Why would you give that up to buy an animal? Especially when you're not even sure what kind you want.

You can't go away for the weekend or stay away for even an extended day without making some sort of provision for the animal that's going to either die or tear apart your home in your absence. You're going to have to constantly clean up after this thing when you're probably just barely keeping up cleaning up for yourself. And then you'll meet a woman or buy a mail order bride who will inevitably hate the beast and you will spend hours walking in the rain nailing "Free to Good Home" flyers to telephone poles.

Dude, no. Do not do it.

Reaction Score
Go buy a guitar. Or take up sudoku. You sound bored. Get a hobby to fill some time that doesn't go to the bathroom on the floor, throw up hairballs, claw furniture, rack up vet bills, wake you up in the middle of the night, drag their rear end across your light carpet, get old and have to eventually be put to sleep that sends you into weeks of depression.
A year and a half ago, my dog started drunk walking. He was around 9. I took him to the vet. He needed neck surgery. 10 grand later he is now going strong. Around the same time my other dog started having seizures. Any way her meds are around 55 per month. I really need them in my life but you are right. It ain't cheap.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If you want to still have a life, get a cat.

And I’m a “dog person” saying this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A year and a half ago, my dog started drunk walking. He was around 9. I took him to the vet. He needed neck surgery. 10 grand later he is now going strong. Around the same time my other dog started having seizures. Any way her meds are around 55 per month. I really need them in my life but you are right. It ain't cheap.

I appreciate how much people love their animals. They're not for me, but they're magic for some people.

My parents bought a puppy in 2006. Three days later, my father died. (He was sick - the dog was never a suspect.)

The dog saved my mother - hardest time of her life and she had to take care of this little thing. It really got her through - almost 14 years later, they are still inseparable.

Of course, I hate the stupid thing and it cost me a fortune the only time it set foot in my house, but I am grateful that it exists.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I appreciate how much people love their animals. They're not for me, but they're magic for some people.

My parents bought a puppy in 2006. Three days later, my father died. (He was sick - the dog was never a suspect.)

The dog saved my mother - hardest time of her life and she had to take care of this little thing. It really got her through - almost 14 years later, they are still inseparable.

Of course, I hate the stupid thing and it cost me a fortune the only time it set foot in my house, but I am grateful that it exists.
You really wanted that new kitchen.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t
Why, what exactly is wrong with adopting a cat? It is no different from adopting a dog. I've adopted both. My avatar pic is of an adopted cat, he was great.

I would not NOT adopt or get a rescue cat or dog. There are too many abandoned, neglected, forgotten, etc. cats and dogs to not adopt.

I know...I'm missing that 30 seconds when you come home and they're happy to see you because you're going to give them food and let them go to the bathroom.
Never owned a cat (or dog) that was ever convenient like that. They were always very loving but it really depends on how you raise them and treat them.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cat.

Super low maintenance, and if you pick right, you'll get a well behaved companion who is happy to curl up on you or leave you the hell alone, while not making the entire house smell like dog.
Dog smell trumps ammonia.

And what exactly is a dog smell? You mean that deep musky smell of their coat?

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dog smell trumps ammonia.

And what exactly is a dog smell? You mean that deep musky smell of their coat?

Spoilers....they both stink.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Man, your two dogs and your poor wife? Is there anyone close by helping YOU out?

Reaction Score

Believe me, I seriously considered putting them down. With everything going on in my life, no way could I. When I think I am having a terrible time, one or both will come up and lick my hand and wag their tails, and BOOM...for a minute, life is good.

Reaction Score
Man, your two dogs and your poor wife? Is there anyone close by helping YOU out?
Well, first the dogs help. I have 2 adult sons and a daughter nearby. So yes. Now I get respite care every Saturday, so I can get out and someone watches her. I also a nurse once a week, 2 nurse's aides visit per week and a caregiver 3 days a week. For the longest time(not really that long, maybe a year and a half) I did it all alone. Cost an arm and a leg till I found out about Colorado Access, which we qualify for because of her condition. So yeah, I even got to go see some live blues on Sunday. I used to see 2 or 3 shows a month-this was the 1st time in almost a year.

Reaction Score
Fish are underrated. One tank of blue spotted sunfish. Another with a 3 or 4 year old giant gourami, 10 inches long. She attacks the glass when I put anything against the glass.

Reaction Score
Geezus man, you deserve a break.

Reaction Score
Why, what exactly is wrong with adopting a cat? It is no different from adopting a dog. I've adopted both. My avatar pic is of an adopted cat, he was great.

I would not NOT adopt or get a rescue cat or dog. There are too many abandoned, neglected, forgotten, etc. cats and dogs to not adopt.

Never owned a cat (or dog) that was ever convenient like that. They were always very loving but it really depends on how you raise them and treat them.

I watched Hocus Pocus one too many times as a kid and I can’t bring myself to liking cats

Reaction Score
I just got my first apartment around 6 months ago and have been trying to decide this same thing. I want a dog, but I've never had one and feel like it's going to be a lot more work than I could possibly imagine. Also feel bad leaving a dog alone in an empty apartment for 12 hours every day

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom