OT: - Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford?

Reaction Score
71 comments strong the one positive (albeit long... Ok really long) post from me and the thread dies???

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If you're young and growing up in CT, why move to Hartford instead of New Haven? The issue with Hartford is that its rent prices aren't at all adjusted for the hit you're taking when you move there in terms of entertainment. Why pay an identical price to live in a ghost town instead of a city with tons of food, entertainment, academic events, etc that's only 45 mins down the road?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If you're young and growing up in CT, why move to Hartford instead of New Haven? The issue with Hartford is that its rent prices aren't at all adjusted for the hit you're taking when you move there in terms of entertainment. Why pay an identical price to live in a ghost town instead of a city with tons of food, entertainment, academic events, etc that's only 45 mins down the road?

Medical School.

Reaction Score
Medical School.
If u r in your 3rd yr n doing clinical rotations. West Hartford near Blue back is the best place. It is easy to get to UCONN med, St Francis and okay (25 minutes rush hr) for Hart + Childrens. Do not live in Bloomfield since SF is the only hospital that is easily accessible. Downtown Hartford is the most convenient but it is hard to find a good running spot

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If u r in your 3rd yr n doing clinical rotations. West Hartford near Blue back is the best place. It is easy to get to UCONN med, St Francis and okay (25 minutes rush hr) for Hart + Childrens. Do not live in Bloomfield since SF is the only hospital that is easily accessible. Downtown Hartford is the most convenient but it is hard to find a good running spot

I'll pass the message along.

Reaction Score

Jobs...

All the insurance companies are still pulling in young people from out of state and they're moving into the city and living downtown, with salaries that can support the rents.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Absolutely, unless you have a great job or family help I don't understand how people can afford t1 cities and save for retirement.
They’re Democrats. The grasshoppers rely on the ants

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's one of the reasons I moved. It will be interesting 10 years from now when 4o year olds realize they have no retirement savings.

Sad fact. A lotta 40 year olds in the suburbs have no retirement or other savings. A scary amount of people who have no excuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have the most optimistic take on Bridgeport out of anyone in the world. I wish it were true - I can hit a golf ball from my yard into Bridgeport.

@Butch posts from 1905. Hartford and Bridgeport are two of the richest cities in the world and Yale Football is the cat’s pajamas.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Uh... way more high paying jobs in Hartford?

Above average math and personal skills and you make 75k in Hartford with a decent degree by 27.

Talented people can clean up.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Uh... way more high paying jobs in Hartford?

Above average math and personal skills and you make 75k in Hartford with a decent degree by 27.

Talented people can clean up.

Sure, but that doesn't mean anyone is going to actually live there

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sure, but that doesn't mean anyone is going to actually live there

Well they sure as hell aren’t going to live in New Haven. Hartford might suck but New Haven is wildly overrated.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
You'd sound like you've never been to hartford cause you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I'm there all the time. I like Hartford, but it's not a desirable place to live by any stretch

Reaction Score

@polycom don't wanna give him credit, but he's probably right about this

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hartford might suck but New Haven is wildly overrated.
By whom? People saying it’s better than Hartford? That’s like saying you’re the best team in the AAC. It’s not a high bar.

New Haven is great for what it is but no one is touting it as a destination unless you have another reason to be in the area. It remains the case that without Yale, New Haven would be Bridgeport (which is still better than Hartford, mind you). Hartford’s problems are intractable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By whom? People saying it’s better than Hartford? That’s like saying you’re the best team in the AAC. It’s not a high bar.

New Haven is great for what it is but no one is touting it as a destination unless you have another reason to be in the area. It remains the case that without Yale, New Haven would be Bridgeport (which is still better than Hartford, mind you). Hartford’s problems are intractable.

Hartford sucks pretty hard but it’s worse than Bridgeport? Does Bridgeport have 1/10th the white collar jobs that Hartford has? I lived in Fairfield for 5 years and don’t remember a singler person ever telling me they worked in Bridgeport outside of bartenders in Black Rock.

Reaction Score
Well they sure as hell aren’t going to live in New Haven. Hartford might suck but New Haven is wildly overrated.

More high paying jobs in Hartford. More people with money living in New Haven.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom