OT: - Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford? | The Boneyard

OT: Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I know it's a ghost town on the weekend. But the rent seems fairly cheap for the new buildings that have gone up. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reaction Score
I know it's a ghost town on the weekend. But the rent seems fairly cheap for the new buildings that have gone up. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I moved downtown recently. I think I can help. What are you looking for? Studio, 1 BR, 2 BR? Are you by yourself or living with someone?

As far as a "ghost town," it is better than it used to be even 2-3 years ago. If you are looking for places where you can hang out and have a few drinks, there are a couple of nice places to grab a few drinks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s not as much of a ghost town anymore (though it still can be like that on Sundays) with all of the new apartments that have been built in the last few years and the ones currently under construction. The apartments built in the mid 2000s are bigger. The newer apartments are much smaller but the buildings offer better amenities.

polycom

Reaction Score
I moved downtown recently. I think I can help. What are you looking for? Studio, 1 BR, 2 BR? Are you by yourself or living with someone?

As far as a "ghost town," it is better than it used to be even 2-3 years ago. If you are looking for places where you can hang out and have a few drinks, there are a couple of nice places to grab a few drinks.

I use to work at 50 Church street but I've lived in Boston for the last few years so glad to hear it's better. Does the Dunkin Donuts on Main Street open on the weekend now?

Reaction Score
I use to work at 50 Church street but I've lived in Boston for the last few years so glad to hear it's better. Does the Dunkin Donuts on Main Street open on the weekend now?

Pretty sure its open on Saturday. Not sure about Sundays (Hartford is still too closed on Sunday for my liking).

Reaction Score
I lived at Union Place Apartments right after graduating from UConn in 1994. They were nice - exposed brick, in the same building as the Federal...

Funny story - we couldn't get fiber optic cable and without it we couldn't get some of the games on tv at home so sometimes, when I didn't feel like going out, I would watch the games through my tiny bedroom window with binoculars on the tv in Coach's across the parking lot while listening on the radio...then at half time I would feed my dinosaur.

upload_2018-4-17_11-54-46.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived at Union Place Apartments right after graduating from UConn in 1994. They were nice - exposed brick, in the same building as the Federal...

Funny story - we couldn't get fiber optic cable and without it we couldn't get some of the games on tv at home so sometimes, when I didn't feel like going out, I would to watch the games through my tiny bedroom window with binoculars on the tv in Coach's across the parking lot while listening on the radio...then at half time I would feed my dinosaur.

View attachment 30750
That window!

upload_2018-4-17_12-1-46.png

Reaction Score
I think @Deepster does.

I don’t anymore. I did for years. And I’ve worked there for a good chunk of the last two decades. I don’t recommend moving there. And it absolutely is a ghost town on weekends.

Reaction Score
I just read an article on this. Don't live there but I will try to find the piece and link it. I think that Front Street Lofts was the winner.

polycom

Reaction Score
I just read an article on this. Don't live there but I will try to find the piece and link it. I think that Front Street Lofts was the winner.

Looking at those and 2 other places next weekend.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your price range is, but the Colt Gateway apartments and Spectra apartments seem pretty nice and contemporary.

Reaction Score
My parents lived there for a couple of years, above Dish. Really nice apartments. They loved being able to just go downstairs to Dish, City Steam, or Vaughn's. Hartford can be a ghost town on nights/weekends, but Vaughn's is generally always open. And it's not going to be LESS of a ghost town if nobody decides to live there. It basically means that there's probably cheap apartments to be had for the money if nobody's around, right? Supply and demand and all that.

Most young people I know tend to live on the West End near Tisane, cause West Hartford Center has basically eaten Hartford's lunch in terms of nightlife, but I think Hartford has potential moving forward. There's certain things you can't get in West Hartford, like the Wadsworth, XL Center, the Bushnell, the Yard Goats.

Grocery shopping is the only thing I think that as far as I know is just not around in downtown.

polycom

Reaction Score
Not sure what your price range is, but the Colt Gateway apartments and Spectra apartments seem pretty nice and contemporary.

Going to look at both of those as well.

Reaction Score
I’ve lived at the lofts at main and temple and 55 on the Park. I enjoyed my time downtown but have since moved out of the city.

The Lofts are beautiful and I would recommend to anyone considering living downtown to take a look. It also includes garage parking.

Reaction Score
The "ghost town" reps of Connecticut cities will change in a matter of time. They are really planning on building up downtown Bridgeport into an entertainment district, one they hope becomes a 24 hour neighborhood. A comedy club opens this year, more construction to happen this year, etc.

Not everyone can or want to pay rent prices in NYC or Boston. Many people from NYC have been moving to Bridgeport over time, and as of now, those who do should end up being more affluent over time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The "ghost town" reps of Connecticut cities will change in a matter of time. They are really planning on building up downtown Bridgeport into an entertainment district, one they becomes a 24 hour neighborhood. A comedy club opens this year, more construction to happen this year, etc.

Not everyone can or want to pay rent prices in NYC or Boston. Many people from NYC have been moving to Bridgeport over time, and as of now, those who do should end up being more affluent over time.

They have been also pushed out of Stamford and Norwalk into Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
The "ghost town" reps of Connecticut cities will change in a matter of time. They are really planning on building up downtown Bridgeport into an entertainment district, one they becomes a 24 hour neighborhood. A comedy club opens this year, more construction to happen this year, etc.

So are CT cities going to become (slowly) gentrified?

Reaction Score
Looking at those and 2 other places next weekend.

I did the same move from Boston to Hartford not that long ago. There is a new apartment building is almost done on New Park Ave in West Hartford literally right next to the bus line. You might want to take a look at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom